Does using unlicenced software make one a pirate?

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Does using unlicenced software make one a pirate?

Postby drbuzz0 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:42 pm

Or for that matter, bootleg videos or music you don't pay for or other unlicenced intelectual property from p2p?

Does that make one a real pirate? Or do you actually have to... ya know... go out and attack unarmed merchant vessels and forced the crew to hand over valuables and such? Because that's a LOT harder
drbuzz0
Ziti Zealot

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:23 pm

Neither. Read the Gospel, and you will find that pirates are peace-loving explorers who like to eat pasta and give candy to children. Their reputation was smeared by other religions, however, so the modern, mainstream uses of the word "pirate" are quite different from the word's original meaning.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby OZ_Nick on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:01 am

Yers, givin candy ter the kiddies be jess the thing fer distractin their mummies so as ye kin steal their jewellery and empty their purse o enny dubloons wot be lookin fer a new home*...

* new home be a teknikal term fer a pirate's treasure chest
----

Ye may knowe mee better as Cap'n Bluenose
OZ_Nick
Stele Second Mate

Re: Does using unlicenced software make one a pirate?

Postby black bart on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:26 am

drbuzz0 wrote:Or for that matter, bootleg videos or music you don't pay for or other unlicenced intelectual property from p2p?

Does that make one a real pirate? Or do you actually have to... ya know... go out and attack unarmed merchant vessels and forced the crew to hand over valuables and such? Because that's a LOT harder

Arrrrrrrr...Welcome matey, I loiks the cut o yer jib. Can ye do me a couple o hundred copies o 'Debby does Dallas' on DVD loik?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby The Black Spot on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:24 am

I were wundrin' if 'ee could rustle up a copy o' "Peggy Does Portsmouth." It were banned not so much fer its sexual content, but because Big Ron complained that it would put people off buyin' his sausages.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby drbuzz0 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:10 pm

I did read that pirates are fun loving explorers and I figured that was part of the job in general, but my understanding of pirates has generally been that they are considered unprotected and "illegal" sailors who generally are not declared to a port of call. (With the exception of pirateers who are hired sanctioned by a power to go after enemy vessels)

And that generally these sailors were characterized by their attacking and extorting of merchant and occasionally passenger vessles as well as the occasional attack on remote colonies. Generally they would either take valuable cargo or sometimes the ship itself sometimes by deadly force but always at least by threat. And also that kidnapping for ransom or as a terror tactic along with extorting governments or merchants for money for safe passage as well as general rape and pillaging were the hallmark of the pirate.

I did not realize that exploring and eating pasta were mutually exclusive. Also, I know that there are still pirates around the horn of Africa and in the South Asia area. I actually talked to a guy I know in the Navy about it. Obviously the navy vessles don't get attacked as they are too hard, but on the rare occasion that a navy vessel is in the area where a merchant is attacked and calls for help, the standing orders for pirates are shoot to kill, as they are considered illegitimate vessels and not afforded any protection by international law thus making them fair game... assuming you are sure they are indeed conducting attacks on neutral unarmed vessels.

It appears that most sea-going parties have very low opinions of pirates.
drbuzz0
Ziti Zealot

Postby DaveL on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:15 pm

drbuzz0 wrote:
It appears that most sea-going parties have very low opinions of pirates.

YArrrr...

O'im afraid the characters round here won't enhance the image of Pirates either matey. They are a dastardly bunch at the best of toimes.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Blaggards

Postby black bart on Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:59 pm

Wig wearin blaggards the lot o em! Don't trust em I say...how much longer fer the DVDs matey?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Does using unlicenced software make one a pirate?

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:27 pm

black bart wrote:Arrrrrrrr...Welcome matey, I loiks the cut o yer jib. Can ye do me a couple o hundred copies o 'Debby does Dallas' on DVD loik?

Oi can point ye to a free copy of that classic, but ye'l ave to burn yer own copies.

The Black Spot wrote:I were wundrin' if 'ee could rustle up a copy o' "Peggy Does Portsmouth." It were banned not so much fer its sexual content, but because Big Ron complained that it would put people off buyin' his sausages.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby anthrobabe on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:47 am

Peggy does anything has been banned in most civilised communities

it also puts people off the Benbows snout in a bun as well.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby OZ_Nick on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Yarr, that may well be, but Oi 'ave founded that those wot come back fer a second sausageinnabun don't seem ter be put off by many things...
----

Ye may knowe mee better as Cap'n Bluenose
OZ_Nick
Stele Second Mate

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:19 pm

...How subtle...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:56 am

OZ_Nick wrote:Yarr, that may well be, but Oi 'ave founded that those wot come back fer a second sausageinnabun don't seem ter be put off by many things...

Probably the same people what lost their teeth in a Redde Cowwe Pie! They has to have somat they can suck on.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DaveL on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:00 am

YArrrrrr...

Candied magot anyone??

Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:10 am

PG sneaks in and steals all your rum
PantyGnawer