His Dark Materials

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby johngalt on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:16 pm

About a young girl, her parents, a young boy, and a plan to kill God.
"Giving up is what kills people. It's only when you refuse to give up that you truly transcend your human self." Alucard, Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Damnant quadnon intelligunt - They condemn what they do not understand.

Sibling Alchemical
johngalt
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby mia primavera on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:03 am

love this series. LOVE it.

must reread all three books at some point....
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
--Mark Twain
mia primavera
Ziti Zealot

Trilogy

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:41 am

This is a brilliant trilogy full of amazing characters, I've never read anything quite like it.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby scottvd1 on Thu May 10, 2007 1:19 pm

for the record the first book is called 'Northen Lights'. one of the best collection of books i have ever read. clever, and exciting
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries
Thou shalt not pimp my ride
Thou shalt not quote me happy
Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture
Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you
Thou shalt think for yourselves
scottvd1
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby brodieboy on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:15 pm

And Daniel Craig (latest James Bond) is going to be in the movie. w00t!

I've read some of his other books, but I didn't like them very much. Set in Victorian england, they were more political, and I found them rather boring
A pirate's life isn't easy; it takes a tough person. That's okay with you, though, since you a tough person. Even through many pirates have a reputation for not being the brightest souls on earth, you defy the sterotypes. You've got taste and education. Arr!
brodieboy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Cryofdragon on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:47 pm

We talkin about His Dark Materials (I didn't read the first page).

Cause if so it totally rocks.
Still Alive.
Cryofdragon
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Rainswept on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:18 am

scottvd1 wrote:for the record the first book is called 'Northen Lights'. one of the best collection of books i have ever read. clever, and exciting

It's called 'The Golden Compass' in North America.

I enjoyed this series, and caught a preview for the movie the other night when I saw Harry Potter. Looked good.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:49 am

Oh my FSM...

Without a doubt, this series is one of the best I have ever read. The story was...just...amazing. I'm at a loss for words.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:01 am

Are you referring to the storyline, or to the quality of the writing?

I'm somewhat reluctant to start the series, because I'm afraid I will analyze it rather than enjoy it. However, if the writing is good enough, it might just suck me in so that I don't mentally pick at every piece of it.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:22 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Are you referring to the storyline, or to the quality of the writing?

I'm somewhat reluctant to start the series, because I'm afraid I will analyze it rather than enjoy it. However, if the writing is good enough, it might just suck me in so that I don't mentally pick at every piece of it.

The writing is amazing, and so is the storyline. The man is a genius.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Clifford on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 am

I've seen the film (being a rushed/mashed out piece which almost made me deaf do to the sound quality) I give it 2 stars the most. Pobs is there's too much content to deal with in one 2 hour movie.

The book is Genius.

RAmen.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:05 am

OHHH ! Sounds loike sumthing I MUST read , thank ye peepulls...ARGH!
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby DeltaWhiskey on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:03 am

I want a dæmon. Please? Pretty please?

Where can I find one?
*Disclaimer: Not actual military
DeltaWhiskey
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:10 pm

Most of my family is devoutly RC. As a born-again heretic, I have been 'forbidden' to mention non-Christian beliefs to my god-daughter (who is receiving the most dogmatic education that money can buy) until she is (a) 18 and/or (B) out of the house.

The first time I saw her curled up reading a Pullman novel--all three of which she had bought with her own money--I went home and laughed and laughed and laughed. But I complied with the house rules and said nothing. [ :evil smile: ] I'm wondering if her parents realize yet that she discovered heresy without my corruptive influence. I've been toying with telling them that I'll take her to see Compass if she wants to go...
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:16 am

pieces o'nine wrote:Most of my family is devoutly RC. As a born-again heretic, I have been 'forbidden' to mention non-Christian beliefs to my god-daughter (who is receiving the most dogmatic education that money can buy) until she is (a) 18 and/or (B) out of the house.

The first time I saw her curled up reading a Pullman novel--all three of which she had bought with her own money--I went home and laughed and laughed and laughed. But I complied with the house rules and said nothing. [ :evil smile: ] I'm wondering if her parents realize yet that she discovered heresy without my corruptive influence. I've been toying with telling them that I'll take her to see Compass if she wants to go...

Forbidden to mention non-Christian beliefs?

You're not even allowed to mention the fact that there are other religions in the world to her?

That's like saying you aren't allowed to tell her that people live outside of America.

wtf?
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors