Can I build a Church?

Wanna get together to pillage something, or just to have a bowl of pasta? Schedule it with your fellow Pastafarians here.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Can I build a Church?

Postby CaptainShawn on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:14 pm

That would be great to build a church for Pastafarians in my area since I am a Rev. now. Can I do that? If I can't make it an official church, could I just build a little hang out and call it something like "United Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" or "United Church of Pastafarianism" or something?
Captain Shawn of Azul.
Arggh.
CaptainShawn
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Rouseman on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 pm

so the people chose the head pasta? that makes sense! this is the coolist thing ever...oh um arr
Rouseman
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:08 pm

if you want to have a local group actually get together for worship, ask an established Unitarian Universalist church, they often let pagans and other such small religions use their facilities during other days, such as fridays (hint hint), so they're a great place to start.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby chuck212 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:12 pm

you could make some sort of treehouse but it definitly would have to be a club not a church
it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.... then its hilarious
chuck212
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Tronlet on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Yes, that is what I thought upon first looking at the Eight I Really Rather You Didn'ts, but the Flying Spaghetti Monster says "multi-million", and thus I think a humble establishment would be acceptable. However, I think by "multi-million" He also means "any sum of money that's ridiculous to spend on your God when you could be giving it to charity", so if a church is made, there shouldn't be too much money spent on it, as a general rule.
Tronlet
Ziti Zealot

What we do in Portland ...

Postby Reilynn on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:36 am

I agree that building a multi-million dollar church would be silly. But, I think that renting a small place where the faithful to our flimsy moral standards could meet to drink beer, eat pasta, watch movies +/or Showtime, would be fabulous!

Churches pay no taxes, you know.

If I had a large room in my house, I would start a home-church. I think you write that off just like a home office.

In Portland Oregon (a kind of Pastafarian mecca) we occasionally sit around the Chapel pub (http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc ... 20Homepage) and drink beer. The pasta selection is limited, but the beer selection is excellent. It used to be a church. They still have the organ. Pretty cool place.

Next Saturday we are combining the best of both worlds. We are starting at the Fulton pub (http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc ... 20Homepage) then walking over to the Old Spaghetti Factory for Pasta ... I mean communion. All I need is someone to drive me home. (details at http://atheists.meetup.com/588/calendar/7176768/ )

:fsm_float:
Reilynn
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Gospel

Postby pirateanarchist on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:49 am

Anonymous wrote:I understand your desire to start a church for the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I believe it would be against His wishes to see money being spent to build a worship center for him, rather than that money going to something such as charity.

May His Noodly Appendage always be with you.
RAMEN

true, as stated in the 8 "I really rather you didn't"'s
perhaps a flag of the pirate fish shall be suitable for a banner of cause?
:pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
Pirates Do It For The Rum
Ramen

anarchyinaction.piczo.com
pirateanarchist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: What we do in Portland ...

Postby pirateanarchist on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:56 am

Reilynn wrote:I agree that building a multi-million dollar church would be silly. But, I think that renting a small place where the faithful to our flimsy moral standards could meet to drink beer, eat pasta, watch movies +/or Showtime, would be fabulous!

Churches pay no taxes, you know.

If I had a large room in my house, I would start a home-church. I think you write that off just like a home office.

In Portland Oregon (a kind of Pastafarian mecca) we occasionally sit around the Chapel pub (http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc ... 20Homepage) and drink beer. The pasta selection is limited, but the beer selection is excellent. It used to be a church. They still have the organ. Pretty cool place.

Next Saturday we are combining the best of both worlds. We are starting at the Fulton pub (http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc ... 20Homepage) then walking over to the Old Spaghetti Factory for Pasta ... I mean communion. All I need is someone to drive me home. (details at http://atheists.meetup.com/588/calendar/7176768/ )

:fsm_float:

YARR MATEY! MANY THANKS I GIVE YE FOR THIS SPLENDID INFO!
I have been contemplating the establishment of a FSM tavern, where the pasta selection be as bountiful as the sea, as well as the beer!
there are plenty of abandoned buildings for sale in these parts, but also there be many ships and floating FSM tavern seems appropriate! we shall build it along the lines of a houseboat but with far more cooking and dining space than usual. :fsm_yarr:
I'll tell ye, when I go to Portland I'll be sure to stop at that pub!
Pirates Do It For The Rum
Ramen

anarchyinaction.piczo.com
pirateanarchist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: Can I build a Church?

Postby BossOfTheGame on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:30 am

A pub can be the closest earthly thing to heaven. Especially if it is a stripper club.

SUM ARBITER BIBINTI

Hqrsie wrote:It would be nice to discover intelligent life.

Even better if it were discovered on Earth.
BossOfTheGame
Ziti Zealot

Postby TheBigWheeze on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:42 am

I’m very seriously considering planting a Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster (no multi-million dollar building, just converting my basement into a Pirate Pub) where I live (Northern Colorado). I’m already an ordained minister, as well as having a sweet pirate costume, and I figured I’d hold services every Friday where Pastafarians could meet to drink beer, eat pasta, and ideally become a community to help and support one another through the various challenges in life (which is the only aspect of “regular” church that I miss). As far as The 8 I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts goes, this seems ok... Any thoughts?

In the name of His Noodliness, RAmen!
TheBigWheeze
Conchigliette Convert

Postby the walrus on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:23 pm

i think that a pirate pub would be awesome, and i would totally go to worship there. only one problem, and one question- can you still worship his noodlyness if you cannot consume alcohol in any way, shape or form? i'm too young to drink legally, but i still want to enjoy his noodly goodness with others of my ilk...
the walrus
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:23 pm

the walrus wrote:i think that a pirate pub would be awesome, and i would totally go to worship there. only one problem, and one question- can you still worship his noodlyness if you cannot consume alcohol in any way, shape or form? i'm too young to drink legally, but i still want to enjoy his noodly goodness with others of my ilk...

Yes.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 pm

the walrus wrote:i think that a pirate pub would be awesome, and i would totally go to worship there. only one problem, and one question- can you still worship his noodlyness if you cannot consume alcohol in any way, shape or form? i'm too young to drink legally, but i still want to enjoy his noodly goodness with others of my ilk...

Zank, you're the grammar nazi, we root beer is still beer, right? I find it a highly applicable substitute.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Rev Dr David Esq on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:49 am

:D Dear Brethren and Sistren,

:shellfish: It is a public misconception that a church must be tax exempt or that one requires the approval of an existing church to become a minister.
:fsm_rock: A church may be established by "Fiat" which means you simply declare it to exist. Announcing the formation of your church via a local paper or filing a church charter at the county recorder are recommended by some who have gone this route.
You can similarly become a minister simply by declaring that you are one.

:fsm_yarr: Purchasing a ministership for cash is essentially just a means of declaring yourself a minister, since it does not involve formal training or establish anything beside the fact that you can afford a small purchase. You can become a minister without that bit of paper unless you want something to point to as a visual aid for the hard of thinking.

:) I established my own church by fiat but, just to add extra weight and to avoid arguments, also purchased a church charter, doctorate of divinity and ministership through the Pasadena Institute of Metaphysics. I plan to get a few others, particularly one from The Church Of The Subgenius, because I do not believe in taking religion or myself too seriously.
:fsm_ninja: My church is not tax exempt and never shall be.

:fsm_ninja: I am able to perform weddings and ordain others and have done so.

:? The IRS gets to decide what is and what is not a church only if a church applies for tax exempt status.
A for-profit church has much more freedom of action and can do many things forbidden to a tax-exempt church.

:wink: It is, however, always a good idea to check the laws in your local area.
If having the county recorder record your ministership and other church documents make things smoother in your neck of the woods, I certainly endorse that.
Making a general announcement in a newspaper of general circulation in your area can also help document your intent to operate a church.

:worship: You do not have to list an address, as a church is an organization, not a building. :D I do not ordain others for cash because this makes it less meaningful and ultimately reduces my church's credibility.

:roll: The modern definition of a church has loosened considerably and now encompasses nearly anything one wishes to believe. There are atheist churches!

Here is a link to an atheist chuch who will ordain you Right Now, for FREE!

:fsm_float: http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

:D I am agnostic and believe in the possibility of the supernatural, so I have not signed up there myself.
My church is also agnostic, but embraces those gods who do not take themselves too seriously, or who are simply way cool. :fsm:

~Rev Dr. David~
Abbott of the Blind Left-Handed Monks Of The Transylvanian Alps
Church of ICHA
May your eyepatch lead you throught dark times!
May your hook smite those who need a smiting!
Blessings unto thee by the grace of Thor, Anoia, Ganesha, The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Bob!*

*Thou shalt hedge thy bets. (The book of ICHA, 2nd revision)
Rev Dr David Esq
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ham Nox on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:59 am

Rev Dr David Esq wrote: :D Dear Brethren and Sistren,
:D I am agnostic and believe in the possibility of the supernatural, so I have not signed up there myself.
My church is also agnostic, but embraces those gods who do not take themselves too seriously, or who are simply way cool. :fsm:

Does this definition expand to include the IPU then?
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Next

Return to FSM Gatherings