His Dark Materials

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Capellini wrote:I'm finding the third book to be hella tedious. Could anything less interesting than those goddamn mulefas and that pain in the ass doctor be contrived? I don't think so.

I think the whole trilogy peaked in the first book and has been sliding down hill since then.

I think differently.

The mulefa were one of my favourite parts of the book. I was extremely annoyed every time Lyra's story was interupted to talk about Mary, don't get me wrong, but the mulefa's world provided a contrast to the dark and scary world of Christianity.

They existed, apparently untouched by the "evil" of the Church, and they are a prime example of how things should work, without the negative effects of Christianity(in the novel).

They are also important to the overall plot.

Tedious, boring, maybe, but not uninteresting.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Pullman's pretty zany at times.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:59 am

royall wrote:RAmazing book series. One of the best sci fi authors since the times of asimov and bradbury.

But... the books are fantasy, aren't they? Sure, there are elements of science fiction, but it's a fantasy tale!

Started on the second one yesterday. If only I could get out more than one book at a time from my school library.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Clifford on Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Capellini wrote:Certainly not the finest fantasy ever written.

Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, and the Earthsea Trilogy all kick these books collective asses.

I deny Harry Potter

Earthsea however, is great.

But Potter? Argh
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat May 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Clifford wrote:

Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, and the Earthsea Trilogy all kick these books collective asses.

I deny Harry Potter

But Potter? Argh

Harry Potter is a good introduction to reading for those who would normally not read.
Simplistic, yes, but you wouldn't want to start a kid off on reading War and Peace, or something to that effect.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat May 10, 2008 8:27 pm

Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Clifford wrote:

I deny Harry Potter

But Potter? Argh

Harry Potter is a good introduction to reading for those who would normally not read.
Simplistic, yes, but you wouldn't want to start a kid off on reading War and Peace, or something to that effect.

heh...If I hadn't started reading Harry Potter when I was younger, my life could be significantly different.

That book opened the whole world to me.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sun May 11, 2008 3:34 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Clifford wrote:

I deny Harry Potter

But Potter? Argh

heh...If I hadn't started reading Harry Potter when I was younger, my life could be significantly different.

I think it did for me too... I can't remember.

I think I was reading quite avidly before that.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 am

Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Clifford wrote:

I deny Harry Potter

But Potter? Argh

I was 7. I don't know how avid I was, but I know Harry Potter broadened my mind.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby farfalla on Sun May 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Z's experience addresses some of the reasons frightened fundamentalist will not allow their children near anything Harry Potter
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Capellini on Sun May 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Clifford wrote:

I deny Harry Potter

But Potter? Argh

And I think regardless of your age, the last 4 are an excellent story. The first 3 are necessary to get the entire scope and experience, but I felt that while the first 3 were essentially stand-alone novels for kids and adolescents, the last 4 formed a single story fully appropriate for adult readers.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sun May 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Capellini wrote:
Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Cap'n Turtlehead wrote:
Clifford wrote:

I deny Harry Potter

But Potter? Argh

And I think regardless of your age, the last 4 are an excellent story. The first 3 are necessary to get the entire scope and experience, but I felt that while the first 3 were essentially stand-alone novels for kids and adolescents, the last 4 formed a single story fully appropriate for adult readers.

RAmen
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon May 12, 2008 1:14 am

Capellini wrote:And I think regardless of your age, the last 4 are an excellent story. The first 3 are necessary to get the entire scope and experience, but I felt that while the first 3 were essentially stand-alone novels for kids and adolescents, the last 4 formed a single story fully appropriate for adult readers.

Yeah, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon May 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Hmmm...

I like 'em all, but it was the third one that I think I liked best.

Dunno why...

7 was as little of a disappointment as you'd think possible, considering the hoopla.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby EarthRise on Mon May 12, 2008 6:13 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Hmmm...

I like 'em all, but it was the third one that I think I liked best.

Dunno why...

7 was as little of a disappointment as you'd think possible, considering the hoopla.

The epilogue ticked me off to no end.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue May 13, 2008 2:17 am

EarthRise wrote:The epilogue ticked me off to no end.

I saw a lady walk up to the big pile of HP: DH in K-Mart, the day it came out, read the epilogue and walk out. I had the book in my hand at the time, so that really put me off.

I think I read it in sixteen hours.

What annoys me is that a girl got in the paper for reading it in seventeen hours. A friend of mine read it in six, and neither of us got in the paper.
Harumph.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors