FSM a Joke: Personal Interpretation

Caution! Spoilers abound! If you have not read the book, enter at your own peril.

Moderator: All Things Mods

FSM a Joke: Personal Interpretation

Postby KicknGuitar on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:57 am

I'd hate to say it (especially since I enjoy it so much) but in all seriousness and in all the senseless things I experience, the Satire I receive from Pastafarianism is the most senseless-less!
I love humor in general, from the risque to the corny. The FSM is one of the humorous attractions. Yet the way I view the concept of it is in an antitheist point, and so the satirical connections between the FSM and most Religion I find on the money. Sadly some are offended by this.

I do not fully understand if I should distance myself from this humor and stand up for what feel right and in my mind makes the most sense in this sometimes illogical world or stay hushed because such people I respect are telling me it is offensive. They usually claim that it is mocking them as if to their religion is stupid (which I believe) and therefore are stupid (which I can only partly believe since I know of their knowledge and it is NOT all religious, so it is possible they are not completely stupid in that respect, mine. If I have not expanded enough, feel free to ask me to do so on a specific.

Please give reasons too, or we be travlin' up shit's creek wit' out 'eh sail or paddle... or an E-Tec Evinrude!!
Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.
KicknGuitar
Ziti Zealot

Re: FSM a Joke: Personal Interpretation

Postby Clifford on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:52 am

Woah woah woah it sounds like you think we satire religion here
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby GreenRain22 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:55 am

FSM is really a joke on Christianity. That's why I like it so much. I am somewhat of a Christian, but I don't believe in Jesus, Hell, and the Bible... what does that make me? O.o A jew?!

Anyway, It's been enjoyable for me, and I have no regrets about this. It's a great escape from the pressures of religon.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:06 am

I think that the open letter was a satire on the ID movement, using similar logic and reasoning (if you can call it that).

However, the Gospel (in my opinion) was mean spirited and aimed at Christianity and the concept of creationism more than the ID movement.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Wawizzle on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I think that the open letter was a satire on the ID movement, using similar logic and reasoning (if you can call it that).

However, the Gospel (in my opinion) was mean spirited and aimed at Christianity and the concept of creationism more than the ID movement.

QFT
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Clifford on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I think that the open letter was a satire on the ID movement, using similar logic and reasoning (if you can call it that).

It was to satire intelligent design. Though people misinterpret it.

As for the Gospel when I first read it I was taken aback by the insults and slandering, but it's also sly. I gave it to a Catholic friend of mine to read, and she loved it. So did her step dad.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Wawizzle on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Clifford wrote:
It was to satire intelligent design. Though people misinterpret it.

As for the Gospel when I first read it I was taken aback by the insults and slandering, but it's also sly. I gave it to a Catholic friend of mine to read, and she loved it. So did her step dad.

When it all boils down, its up to each individual to determine if something is offensive to them or not. Good to hear that they enjoyed it. :)
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Clifford on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:05 am

GreenRain22 wrote:FSM is really a joke on Christianity. That's why I like it so much. I am somewhat of a Christian, but I don't believe in Jesus, Hell, and the Bible... what does that make me? O.o A jew?!

No, it's a parody of intelligent design.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Or more generally, it's a satire of religion being passed off as science. It touches upon global warming as a major component, as well.

I don't think the Gospel is anti-Christian. It's got a lot of parodies of Biblical stories from the Old and New Testaments, but as far as I remember they don't portray the subjects of those parodies in a negative light. Rather, they rewrite them, change them around, and reframe them to suit The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 pm

GreenRain22 wrote: I am somewhat of a Christian, but I don't believe in Jesus, Hell, and the Bible... what does that make me?

A deist.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:54 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:However, the Gospel (in my opinion) was mean spirited and aimed at Christianity and the concept of creationism more than the ID movement.

I think Bobby succumed to some pressure from his editor and publisher.

However, I didn't find it to be mean spirited.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Elastoman on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Struck me as pretty damned funny. And yeah, it took some stabs, but good satire often does. The nice thing is that humor often uses a rubber knife.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:52 pm

I started dreading the rest of the book as soon as I read the introduction in which he insults the holy books of multiple religions with demeaning and/or derogatory names.

Here are a couple of other examples, from the Guide to Propaganda chapter.

Born Agains present a different set of challenges ... We are even hesitant to refer to them as Christians, because their behavior reflects badly on the majority of Christians who are not insane.

Christian Athletes ... If they think He's paying attention when they "give praise" during their interviews, then they're probably even dumber than they sound.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:54 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I started dreading the rest of the book as soon as I read the introduction in which he insults the holy books of multiple religions with demeaning and/or derogatory names.

Born Agains present a different set of challenges ... We are even hesitant to refer to them as Christians, because their behavior reflects badly on the majority of Christians who are not insane.

Christian Athletes ... If they think He's paying attention when they "give praise" during their interviews, then they're probably even dumber than they sound.

How is that inaccurate?
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I started dreading the rest of the book as soon as I read the introduction in which he insults the holy books of multiple religions with demeaning and/or derogatory names.

How is that inaccurate?

Implying that Born Again Christians are insane is insulting and inaccurate. They have faith in something and believe it powerfully. They may be fanatical, but that is not the same as insane.

Also, faith is about belief without evidence. If these athletes do believe in a God that is all knowing, how can it be stupid to think that He is paying attention when they praise Him? (My use of capitals is due to the fact that it is a specific god being talked about.)

He is also stereotyping throughout the book (which is something that I have major issues with). People are not defined by the groups they are associated with.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Next

Return to Gospel of FSM Book Discussion