Garlic Terminology - Must Read!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Garlic Terminology - Must Read!

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:49 pm

Moral Minority wrote:
Ah, Garlick? You insolent fool. I kan no longer suck your blod.

MYTH!
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Wawizzle on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:04 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:

MYTH!

Hell yeah. Real vampires like me are deadly allergic to onions, not garlic!

Bwahaha!
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby bigblukiwi on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:22 am

I first walked in at 4 years old and had that exact reaction. Thank FSM for that !
Yours in Scepticism
bigblukiwi
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re:

Postby Crundy on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:36 am

fusiontortellini wrote:And there's also a chopped-vs.-crushed debate; apparently chopping garlic rather than crushing it gives a more delicate flavor. . .

Why would you want a more delicate flavour!! Garlic rules.

I've got one of these:
http://www.garlictwist.co.uk/
Makes mincing garlic easy, and no fiddly bits to wash. Just stick it in the dishwasher.
Crundy
Ziti Zealot

Postby nattebever on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 am

Whenever you discuss with a non-pastafarian you should put some garlic in his coffee. When he drinks that coffee without any comment you're morally obliged to tell him all about FSM.
Just start with that simple question: Why don't you mention the fact that you're drinking coffee with garlic?

If the person tells you that the coffee is horrible then you know he's at least an honest man (or woman). He might be interested in FSM.

Try this at home.
nattebever
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Andrey Kurtenkov on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:36 am

nattebever wrote:...you should put some garlic in his coffee...
It is a refined version:
1 garlic clove: grounded
50 gram sugar
1 dl whipping cream
1 garlic clove: crushed with the back edge of a knife blade
1 dl warm strong espresso
50 gram dark chocolate [70 %]: cut into small chunks
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon flour

Place sugar and grounded garlic clove in a foodprocessor and process to a garlic-sugar. Set aside. let dry and crush. Place cream and crushed garlic clove in a small pan. Heat to just below boiling. Remove from the heat and let infuse for 30 minutes. Remove and discard garlic clove. Add warm espresso to the chocolate chunks. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Let cool. Beat egg yolks with the sugar and the flour. Place garlic-cream, chocolate-espresso and yolks in a bowl and set over a pan of simmering water. Mix and stir until the mixture is thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour the mocca garlic creme into espresso cups and let cool. Chill the mocca garlic creme in the refrigerator. Sprinkle garlic-sugar on to mocca garlic creme and caramelize with a butane torch.
:shellfish:
En mateno de hela ero, per la forĉo de espero, venas viglaj pastafaroj, vere fluganta gefratoj.
Ah, vi flugu, Nia Monstro! Vin observas milionoj serĉiantaj vermiĉeloj, per espero kaj per amo.
Kaj la bona pastafaro post la malfermita pordo, trovos la eternan vivon en pastafara paradizo!
Pastafarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!
Българска пастафарианска църква (Bulgarian Pastafarian Church)
- за прослава на Макаронения Бог :worship: :fsm_float:
Andrey Kurtenkov
Chitarra Captain

Postby purplegoddess on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:16 pm

2 doz baby potatoes.

A whole head of garlic, separated, but not peeled.

Some fresh rosemary.

A glurp of olive oil

some diced bacon or pancetta.

Whack all together and bake in a hot oven.

It's not pasta, so doesn't count as a Dish of Worship, but it comes bloody close.

And the maxim is Bacon Makes Everything Better. Even Garlic.
Give us this day our daily taste. Restore to us soups that spoons will not sink in and sauces which are never the same twice. Raise up among us stews with more gravy than we have bread to blot it with Give us pasta with a hundred fillings.

Robert Farrar Capon
purplegoddess

Re: Garrrrrrrr...Lic

Postby Karban on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:57 pm

DeadPoet wrote:Aye, the good Dr. is back! Raw garlic is indeed very tasty...with good bread, too.

:)

Be y noticin the prperness of these 'ere garrr's especckelly Garrrrr...Lic!

It be a good un fer scurvy, the flux and keepin' scurvy dogs at bay!

Garrrrrrrrr!
:fsm_float:
Any Pirate worth his Parrot would give both his wooden legs for a chance at this....Garrr Matey!!!!

Isssthmus! Isthmus? Issthmus! Issssthmus!
Karban

Postby Karban on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 pm

Patasfarian Wolf wrote:I enjoy roasted garlic. It's tasty and mellow, perfect to spread on bread.

On pasta the credo is, "The more garlic, the better!"

Roasted Garrrr...lic - ye can put the whole bulb in an' when it comes time to be eatin' this amazing benediction from the FSM, ye just squeeze it out of the skin - no need to be peelin'! An it be easier on the taste buds for all of our little FSM initiates out there GArrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Any Pirate worth his Parrot would give both his wooden legs for a chance at this....Garrr Matey!!!!

Karban

Postby Karban on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:

MYTH!

Ok Myth, though i thought you might have been a myth..ter, but roasted garlic is amazing, garrrrrr! it takes away any bite and be good fer the little conchians amongst our ranks, and becomes so smooth it spreads amazingly.

Garrrrrr!

Karban

Postby PastaLovingIdealist on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:48 pm

My mom makes an awesome chicken soup. I think it's called 30 clove soup. I'll post the recipe when I can get my hands on it. Of course my mom is Korean and her recipes tend to be of the "put in enough of x...and add about that much of y" sort. Nevertheless, I will attempt to translate that into the english measurement system. Apologies in advance to those of you who use metric and have to convert.
Welcome to my signature.
If you wish to read it in its entirety you will probably be disappointed. I'm not going to put anything witty or profound in here for a while. Any time you want to stop reading, be my guest. You won't find anything interesting here. I plan on adding something funny eventually, maybe when I can actually be original. Are you bored yet? Why are you even reading this?
If you skipped to this line you'll be disappointed.
There's nothing here either.
PastaLovingIdealist
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Dagwood Gum on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 pm

How do you know that the garlic doesn't also keep His Noodliness away and not just the rest of the vampires. Something or someone is coloring the meat sauce red!!?!!

And the sellout crowd cheers on!
Dagwood Gum
Ziti Zealot

Postby Yomama bin Rotten on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Mmmmm....

Garlic us wonderful, and I grow my own. Three varieties.

<Elephant Garlic> is fine, but it is mild and actually a leek.

"Rev. Rowan Redbeard": those 'spring garlic shoots' are properly called 'scapes'. They are perfectly edible, and are a viable alternative to those who believe that garlic cloves are too strong. Excellent in won-ton soup!

I hope that the administrators don't frown upon this little bit of advertising :x , but this is where I ordered my garlic:
http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?se ... image2.y=7 . It comes with great instructions on everything you need to know about growing garlic.

I hope this is helpful to all those who read it! 8)
It is a cruel paradox that the the people with the narrowest minds have the biggest mouths and the thickest heads.

My Man, Barack Obama, says: "Eat more Arrgh-ugula!"
Yomama bin Rotten
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ubidubikid #1 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:05 pm

I once had an unfortunate garlic incedent in home ec. Our big project was a spaghetti dinner (well, lunch actualy) and we put a member of our group in charge of the garlic bread. when we sat down to eat, she picked up a slice and asked "eww, who put all this butter on the garlic bread?" response: "uh, Mary Cathrine, that was you." she took a bite, and then asked some thing along the lines of "who put so much garlic in this?!?" response: "that was you Mary Cathrine" I was the only one who could eat the stuff. (also, this is entirely random, but that home ec. group not only had a Mary Catherine, but a Mary, and a Cathrine, wierd huh?)
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

ubidubikid #1
Chitarra Captain

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:03 am

Garlic has valuable nutient properties.

Also, it is delicious.

Garlic bread has to be the greatest food ever conceived.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Food