Worst book ever written..

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Worst book ever written..

Postby errol says on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:57 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Twilight is good, but it's far from literature.

Wholeheartedly agree. Good, but not worth the craze. No substantial meaning, either. I also agree that 1984 should be considered literature, though i don't share this groups' views on Fahrenheit 451. Fabulous book.

Who knows how many people here have even read this, but House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski remains the greatest book ever written (in my opinion).

Also, i feel as if Finnegans Wake would be an incredible read, if it were actually "readable".
errol says
Conchigliette Convert

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:21 pm

I've never read Finnegan's, but may have to. I do love good gibberish. I never cared much for the Iliad. It really just seemed like a list of fights during a big war. Boring.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:08 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Why didn't they teach Lovecraft? I wanted Lovecraft.

Thank you for being about the only other goddamned person here to mention Lovecraft.

Lovecraft's dystopic, hellish visions are a constant inspiration for my own burgeoning madness (i hope... do i seem somewhat mad yet?).

For worst book, I nominate anything written by that stupid douche Dembski.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Jessica on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:39 am

To Kill A Mockingbird, Twilight, and some other book I was forced to read in school a couple of years ago. I am a person who loves to read, but it was HORRIBLE. I would have died of boredom right there.
SHENANIGANS!
Jessica
Ziti Zealot

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 am

Jessica wrote:To Kill A Mockingbird, Twilight, and some other book I was forced to read in school a couple of years ago. I am a person who loves to read, but it was HORRIBLE. I would have died of boredom right there.

Mockingbird is one of the BEST books. School just ruins it.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:48 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Mockingbird is one of the BEST books. School just ruins it.

I don't know if it has improved any since I was at school, but I think the teaching of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' would have been greatly improved by giving it a bit of context. We were just taught it as a stand-alone piece, and it wasn't until a few years later when I was discussing the film with my mum that she put it in context: segregation in the south; all the hangovers from the Civil War; the perceived role of women; and when she told me all that, the penny dropped and the book made sense.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ke_mikiao on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Forcing anyone to read any book will ruin the book imo.

but the worst book ever written is "Sandworms of Dune" by Brian Herbert

not only did he absolutly murder the Dune universe, but the ending itself seemed like something he threw together because it was due the next day.

that book made me cry in pity
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Kay, Men in Black
ke_mikiao
Chitarra Captain

Postby zinc alloy on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm

By far the worst book ever written is 'Catcher in the Rye'. What a pile of pointless shit.

Poor story, poorly written.

If that passes for classic American literature then heaven help us all.

There's a few hours of my life I'll never get back.

And while we're at it, 'Chariots of the Gods'. Jeez, if you're gonna make outlandish stuff up at least try and make interesting nonsense up. Dull dull dull. I believe this was the book that other curse upon literature, Dan whatisname based the Da Vinci Code on.
'I've been everywhere and I've seen everything there is,
but I never saw the light.
Scared to death of dying so I do my best to live,
out of mind and out of sight.' -Kris Kristofferson
zinc alloy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:03 am

Pride and Prejudice.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Capellini on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:18 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Pride and Prejudice.

LOVED IT!
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Capellini wrote:

LOVED IT!

Loved the book? Why? It's the Regency equivalent of todays celebrity autobiography.

In fact I think this clip sums up pretty much how I feel about that whole genre.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby Rainswept on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Know what else I hated with a firey passion?

Of Human Bondage just an unforgivably awful story.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Capellini on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:19 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
Capellini wrote:

LOVED IT!

Loved the book? Why? It's the Regency equivalent of todays celebrity autobiography.

In fact I think this clip sums up pretty much how I feel about that whole genre.

Because the wordplay is sharp and witty, the characters are flawed and endearing, it is an excellent snapshot of a fascinating period in history, and it has a happy ending.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rainswept on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:24 pm

I just don't get how flawed = endearing. I mean characters don't need to be perfect for me to like them, but some of the books I've read (usually at the suggestion of some girlfriend or other) have protagonists I want to just slap for sheer stupidity. Of Human Bondage and Valley of the Dolls leap to mind as classic examples.

Romeo and Juliette were both morons.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Capellini wrote:

Because the wordplay is sharp and witty, the characters are flawed and endearing, it is an excellent snapshot of a fascinating period in history, and it has a happy ending.

I found it dull, vapid and pointless. I'm willing to bet if I was stupid enough to read Twilight they would seem remarkably similar. Anyway, time to agree to disagree :wink:

Oh, and Shakespeare. Not for the quality of the works (I admit the ones I've read were pretty good once I got the hang of the language and style) but the sort of people who claim to read Shakespeare for fun. I suspect that they're just doing it to try and appear more intelligent.

In case you're thinking I'm a cultural void, I'm not. I've read Plato, Nietzsche, Dickens, Stoker etc. Just can't stand Austen et. al.

daftbeaker

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors