Veggieheads VS Meatheads!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Vegetarians or Meat-eater?

Vegetarian
27%
Meat-eater
64%
Vegan
9%

Total votes : 44

Re: Veggieheads VS Meatheads!

Postby Elvalia on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:Bunnies should probably stick to raw veggies. Except pasta sauce. Don't let Swedish meatballs put you off - you can probably find Italian style meatballs for your pasta.

I will indeed stick to my raw veggies. I don't know about the meatballs... I'll try them sometime, though, I promise.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:*suspects she wanted them to taste like chocolate cake*

It was an accident, I swear!
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby PirateMichael on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Hello friends.
I am a vegetarian, I would be a vegan, because dairy is tech-ni-cal-lyyyy part of the veal industry indirectly, which is bad, but yeah maybe when I move out.

Yeah my reason for being a Pastafarian is that in the I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts the FSM said he wants us to live with love and compassion or something.
In my opinion the way animals are killed isn't loving or compassionate and anybody who has ever owned a cat or dog knows that animals are much like people (yes even chickens, my mum used to own one), and they are all deserving of proper treatment.

Well that's my take on it but because this is a religion there's multiple ways it can be interpreted.

While we're on the topic though when I tell some in-my-face Xtian that I believe in a FSM but I don't eat meat and they mock me for it, what should be my response?

Any suggestions?
Holy Raviolli!
AAARRR!
PirateMichael
Ziti Zealot

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:03 pm

PirateMichael wrote:I am a vegetarian, I would be a vegan, because dairy is tech-ni-cal-lyyyy part of the veal industry indirectly, which is bad, but yeah maybe when I move out.

Yeah my reason for being a Pastafarian is that in the I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts the FSM said he wants us to live with love and compassion or something.
In my opinion the way animals are killed isn't loving or compassionate and anybody who has ever owned a cat or dog knows that animals are much like people (yes even chickens, my mum used to own one), and they are all deserving of proper treatment.

Dude, my wife would reeeeeeeeeeeeally like you. We were active cat rescuers for years (along with the occasional dog, chicken, pig, mouse, etc.), but now we just care for the ones we kept as "unadoptable" (diabetic, blind, heart problems, eye problems, megacolon, FIV, kidney failure -- we've got them all and then some). There's 35 of them left at this point, though I can only see 16 of them without moving from my seat right now. Mrs. T. is what I call a pity vegetarian, similar to the compassionate idea you put out above. She doesn't have any problem eating fish, eggs, cheese, and the like, but nothing with fur or feathers. I don't personally have a problem with eating meat, but I don't do it often because she objects to having it in the house, and it's not like we don't eat well (burritos of doom again tonight - oy). I don't think there's anything wrong with the way most food animals are killed, it's how they are (usually) forced to live that's the problem. In the wild, a deer has three or four years, maybe a couple more, before it gets injured or sick or something, and then it gets chased in panic until it's exhausted, and ripped apart as it's dying from numerous bite wounds. A beef cow is (theoretically) slaughtered with one quick shot to the brain - blam and done. I'll take the blam and done if I get a choice. But I don't get too worked up over it generally.
PirateMichael wrote:While we're on the topic though when I tell some in-my-face Xtian that I believe in a FSM but I don't eat meat and they mock me for it, what should be my response?

I'm not sure what they're mocking you for. Is it that they can't reconcile FSMism and vegetarianism because the FSM has meatballs? Just tell them that the FSM is not anywhere near as demanding and jealous as their god, and that He really doesn't care what you do as long as you're nice to others. If they're mocking you for being a vegetarian in general, ask them how their cholesterol and blood pressure are. If they're mocking you for being a Pastafarian, ask them how that jibes with loving their neighbor, and forgiving you for being different (23rd psalm stuff). If they're mocking you just to be dickheads, tell them about freedom of religion.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Here's a good vegetarian/pastafarian dish me and my girlfriend like to enjoy regularly.

Spinach-Ricotta Sauce

Ingredients:
1-lb box of penne pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 gloves garlic, minced or crushed
1 cup cooked spinach
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (feel free to eyeball this instead of an exact measurement)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (and please, for your sake and the sake of those around you, the good stuff, not the green can)

In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion. A minute or two later, add the garlic and saute until the onion becomes translucent
Add the spinach, ricotta, tomato, and pepper. Mix thoroughly; season with salt
Add the Parmesan; mix well. Pour over hot penne (cook the penne as to the instructions on the box)
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PastafarianVegan on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Aha, I'm the first vegan to vote in this thread! I feel special.
PastafarianVegan
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Jessica on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Arrg! I've been a vegetarian for ten years now. I love to pay tribute to Him with my veggie meatballs and pasta. (Which I have once a week. :D)

There are pre-made ones I found in the store. They are pretty tasty. I do not remember the brand, though.

I plan on (trying) to make my own, soon.
SHENANIGANS!
Jessica
Ziti Zealot

Postby sorill on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:15 am

PirateMichael wrote:While we're on the topic though when I tell some in-my-face Xtian that I believe in a FSM but I don't eat meat and they mock me for it, what should be my response?

Any suggestions?

Well, since Pirates are his chosen people, and a pirate ought to spend the bulk of his or her time at sea, where no cattle will roam, (and while there, preferably plundering, not fishing...) -- we could conclude that a pastafarian ought only to eat meat that is rotten and/or worm infested...
sorill
Ziti Zealot

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:46 am

Don't forget ships did carry both livestock and salted meat, so it doesn't have to be rotten and wormy (although mostly the meat went to the officers.)

I say that we don't have a policy. All is good.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby sorill on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:17 pm

Well, all is not good, of course. I firmly believe there is a basis for morality (which is not religious, by the way).

However, my purpose wasn't to base serious ethical reasoning on FSM theology, but to justify my personal morality with random made-up scriptural references. And on that note, I doubt that any pirate worth his or her salt would bring a bunch of cows on a ship... :wink:
sorill
Ziti Zealot

Postby MaltaPastafarian on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:06 am

Any suggestions?

Hi...I'm a recently converted Pastafarian, and have been vegetarian/vegan for about 20 years.

Regarding your response, well, on page 92 of The Gospel (The Olive Garden of Eden), you will find:

Man wasn’t excited about eating pasta seven nights a week, so the FSM broke down, and brought him all the animals, and man renamed each as a food group…

From this I gather that the original plan of the FSM was for people to eat vegetarian pasta (no animals = no meat).

You will find a similar story in the Christian Bible, but of course, they must have copied it from us ;)

Read the Gospel...it really has all the answers.

:worship: :fsm:
MaltaPastafarian
Ziti Zealot

Postby Deftera on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm a vegetarian, I tried becoming a vegan once but only managed for a couple of days.
Deftera
Ziti Zealot

Postby farfalla on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

very small veggie rant....

most of my diet is veggie with poultry and fish added - get it,- I do not eat PKMKll's lovely brisket or Ham's ham of she makes it

get sooooo sick and tired of many of the meat eating people who know me never, ever counting me in when they cook the meat part of a meal --"did not grill you a chicken breast because you do not eat meat". They invited me so seems rude to say - would have. Have mentioned many, many times the meat I do eat and when I cook for others I eat the meat I cook in front of them and at restaurants with them. It just seems easier for most people to label you all one way or the other.
:annoyed: .....not :furious:

okay - done, put in food thread --because it seems more appropriate
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby ShiverMeTimbers 23 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 am

Meat all the way! Mmmm bacon pasta... :haha:
ShiverMeTimbers 23
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ham Nox on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm a meatitarian. The only green things I eat are M&M's and jello.

(Oh wel.. I guess baby spinach leaves too. But only on special occasions!)
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:32 pm

ShiverMeTimbers 23 wrote:Meat all the way! Mmmm bacon pasta... :haha:

It's called carbonara
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Food