What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:33 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to say that i turned off Punch Drunk Love after about 45 minutes the other night.

Thank you
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Babel.

I love this movie. I've watched it a few times but I could not imagine sitting down at a computer and writing a story like that.

I was listening to the radio the other day and I heard the director Alan Parker (Midnight Express, Pink Floyd: The Wall, The Commitments) saying that he'd watched Babel and he thought it was amazing, but he couldn't imagine writing a screenplay like that.

:D
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:25 pm

I saw The Wall yet again as part of a class called "Pop culture in the 1960's" dring my last semester at UMD. The professor explained that while the film itself was made much later, she felt that a lot of it really expressed some of the "feeling" of the 60's. She asked if there were any questions and my friend "Jim" said, "Will you be supplying the bong hits or shall we bring our own?", she said "Very funny, but you'll have to supply your own drugs".

And yes, we did.

:zen:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby PKMKII on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Definitely up there in the strangest films I've seen is Park Chan-wook's I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK. About a woman who's sent to a mental institution because she thinks she's a cyborg built for the purpose of saving her grandmother (who is also in a mental institution). While it's nowhere near as good as his masterpiece Oldboy, it's still rather entertaining and very, very strange.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby rog on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:10 am

"Kafka" by a country mile.

Honorable mention to "Lost Highway" (or almost anything by David Lynch), "Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas", and "Brazil".
rog
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Scott the Pirate on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm

In case you didn't know, rog, Fear and loathing is the "sequel" to Where the Buffalo Roam...or did i say that in this thread already???
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby wimawa on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Donnie Darko.
It's the strangest/my favorite movie evvarrr.
I, sadly, had to watch it a couple times to understand the ending completely.

The Uninvited was weird too.
the whole story line is ruined at the end when it is made apparent that the main character is simply crazy and you're seeing what she's seeing the whole time.
Never take life seriously.
No one gets out alive anyways.

wimawa
Ziti Zealot

Postby Scott the Pirate on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Stranger than fiction WAS both strange and great, hence my bringing it up again!
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby PKMKII on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:21 pm

rog wrote:"Kafka" by a country mile.

Honorable mention to "Lost Highway" (or almost anything by David Lynch), "Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas", and "Brazil".

Honestly, I don't think Fear and Loathing is really that weird, you just can't approach as a traditional narrative story. It's just a series of events meant to symbolize the disintegration of the optimism of the late 60's into the depression and apathy of the 70's. Right at the point at which drugs went from being something that were supposed to expand your consciousness and instead became something that dulled from the reality of the world.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

PKMKII wrote:Right at the point at which drugs went from being something that were supposed to expand your consciousness and instead became something that dulled from the reality of the world.

And that's exactly when i quit doing them. Since my mushroom-induced epiphany i've stayed away from most of the drugs, with the exception of the occasional "little binger to brighten up your day".

:)
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 pm

17.06.94, my son was born.
17.06.94, I stopped doing drugs.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:16 pm

My munchkins are with their mother every other week, so i enjoy the occasional toke from time to time. The gf and i bought a quarter about 9 months ago and now it's all dried out. Shows how often we do that, huh?
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:My munchkins are with their mother every other week, so i enjoy the occasional toke from time to time. The gf and i bought a quarter about 9 months ago and now it's all dried out. Shows how often we do that, huh?

Yup. We re-decorated a couple of years back and found my old 'stoner tin': rolling machine, nail scissors; skins; gauzes; matches; pipes; nail-file; roach material; a bit of 'doo-bee-doo-bee-doo', the whole shooting match. Oh how we laughed and DIDN'T use it.
:drunk:
Roy Hunter

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:33 pm

I won a hollowed out crucifix in a poker game. The jesus part slides off to reveal the compartment. Guess where i used to hide my pot?

:)
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby pieces o'nine on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:44 am

Scott, that sounds like the sorry remnants of a 'sick call' set.
[e.g.: for the RC priest to use when called to give Last Rites to your suddenly-dying-at-home relative, just in case he lacked the presence of mind to bring his own sacramental paraphernalia.]

My parents had one lurking on the wall in the hallway for years. Decades. In fact, it's probably still there.
It always gave me the "I-don't-wanna-die-and-go-to-hell" willies. But what a surprise for the unsuspecting cleric or relatives to find a bit of the 'sacrament' in there, eh...
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors