Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Postby Rainswept on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:34 am

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:I've heard that Sword of Truth started out good, and then fell like lightning...

Exactly the case.
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Btw, rainswept, twould that pic be of little Arryn?

Pretty sure it's Tyrion.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Btw, I'm not quite sure y'all've seen this picture from DwD:

Pretty cool...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Valanthe on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:14 am

Now that's a sweet pic... :fsm_rock:
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Capellini on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 am

Anyone familiar with Finish the Book, George? Seriously some of the funniest shit I've read in a long time.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Valanthe on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Yes, even my epic patience is wearing thin now...
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:48 pm

What's the name of the series by David Eddings? The first book is Pawn of Prophecy. Any takers before i run off to google?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:07 pm

The Belgariad, followed by The Mallorean.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:19 pm

Damn it i knew that! :mad:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Valanthe on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm busy trying to track down the recent omnibus publications of the Elric saga. I managed to find volume 1, but volume 2 is eluding me. And yes, I've already checked the local Borders.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Ah, it's been a while since I've read the Elric Saga.

And I only got to volume 2.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Valanthe on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:46 am

It's interesting to me to see how a character who can be seen as occasionally verging on villainy can still be a sympathetic one. I actually have Blue Oyster Cult to thank for sparking my interest in Elric. Take a listen to "Black Blade".

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Well, they've got Sean Bean (i.e., Boromir) to play Eddard Stark in the movie version of AGoT...

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Capellini on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:02 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Well, they've got Sean Bean (i.e., Boromir) to play Eddard Stark in the movie version of AGoT...

It's not a movie, it's a tv series. And not a mini-series, a regular full length cable style tv series. They're doing a season per book, probably 12ish episodes a season.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Capellini wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Well, they've got Sean Bean (i.e., Boromir) to play Eddard Stark in the movie version of AGoT...

It's not a movie, it's a tv series. And not a mini-series, a regular full length cable style tv series. They're doing a season per book, probably 12ish episodes a season.

Whoops, my bad.

At least it is a full series, they wouldn't possibly get everything in otherwise.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:32 pm

So, Lena Headey, the titular character from Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicals, and the queen from 300, will be playing Cersei Lannister.

Rainswept

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors