I CAN TEARTH YOU WITH CHINESE.我能教你们关于中文

Home for all languages OTHER than plain old English (all varieties)

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: I CAN TEARTH YOU WITH CHINESE.我能教你们关于中文

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:39 am

I was sure I'd told this before, but here we go. It was one of those rare occasions when the right words arrived at the right time instead of hours later (you know how that feels!)

Are you sitting comfortably?

Then I'll begin…

Once upon a time I was travelling on a bus to the city centre from an Eastern (=wealthy) suburb of Adelaide.

The seat I was in was at the front of the bus, but faced backwards.

After a while, an elderly lady got on and started to chat. She clocked my accent and asked the usual questions; how long I'd been in Australia, why I'd come, did I like it, how long I had planned to come to Australia… All this at a raised volume because she was very, very deaf.

The whole bus by this time was silently following our conversation. (Remember, facing backwards I could see them all; a dozen or so people and there was the usual mix of half-a-dozen different races).

I confessed that, although I had made friends I had dreaded coming, indeed had always wanted NEVER to come, because all I'd heard about Australia was the horrible heat, the horrible poisonous animals and the horrible people.

So she asks, in a stage whisper that could have been heard in Sydney:

"You mean the Abos?"

Shocked, I replied. "No! The racist bigots".

She didn't speak to me for the rest of the journey, but it didn't matter; I was getting approving looks from the rest of the passengers!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:10 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:I was sure I'd told this before, but here we go. It was one of those rare occasions when the right words arrived at the right time instead of hours later (you know how that feels!)

Are you sitting comfortably?

Then I'll begin…

Once upon a time I was travelling on a bus to the city centre from an Eastern (=wealthy) suburb of Adelaide.

The seat I was in was at the front of the bus, but faced backwards.

After a while, an elderly lady got on and started to chat. She clocked my accent and asked the usual questions; how long I'd been in Australia, why I'd come, did I like it, how long I had planned to come to Australia… All this at a raised volume because she was very, very deaf.

The whole bus by this time was silently following our conversation. (Remember, facing backwards I could see them all; a dozen or so people and there was the usual mix of half-a-dozen different races).

I confessed that, although I had made friends I had dreaded coming, indeed had always wanted NEVER to come, because all I'd heard about Australia was the horrible heat, the horrible poisonous animals and the horrible people.

So she asks, in a stage whisper that could have been heard in Sydney:

"You mean the Abos?"

Shocked, I replied. "No! The racist bigots".

She didn't speak to me for the rest of the journey, but it didn't matter; I was getting approving looks from the rest of the passengers!
:evilgrin: That's great! You must have been so proud of yourself!

Actually, that's not just great, that's fantastic!
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:33 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:The Bus Story

:worship: Excellent. I occasionally have similar experiences but I think of the witty comeback about six hours later while in bed.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:21 am

daftbeaker wrote:
Tigger_the_Wing wrote:The Bus Story

:worship: Excellent. I occasionally have similar experiences but I think of the witty comeback about six hours later while in bed.

That, generally, has been my experience. Burning with annoyance at someone for several hours then the words come, long after they're any use. :facewall:

Truly, his noodliness was at work that day! :fsm_float:

Thanks, DTH and DB for the accolades! :love:

P.S. According to Babel Fish, 'Bus story' in Chinese is 公共汽车故事

How do the Chinese ever learn to write?!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Charlie on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:00 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:

That's not how I write it. Despite it's most glorious namesake, I've learnt Babel Fish isn't that good at translating more than one word. I usually just ask my mom. Isn't that what they're for?
Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby peak on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:49 am

If someone can spell a chinese word with hanyu pinyin correctly, he can just put them in the searching form of www.baidu.com, the most popular search engine in china. and then baidu can give suggest on how to write it.
Like this http://www.baidu.com/s?ie=utf-8&cl=3&wd ... 20zi%20sha
焚我娇躯 熊々欲火 生不知欢 死焉知苦
海盗行侠 惟面神故 汁丸汤条 皆归尘土
怜我世人 惑患实多 怜我世人 惑患实多
peak
Ziti Zealot

Postby peak on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:02 am

Charlie wrote:
Tigger_the_Wing wrote:

That's not how I write it. Despite it's most glorious namesake, I've learnt Babel Fish isn't that good at translating more than one word. I usually just ask my mom. Isn't that what they're for?

I think 公交故事 is more better. Bus is always called 公交 for sort.
焚我娇躯 熊々欲火 生不知欢 死焉知苦
海盗行侠 惟面神故 汁丸汤条 皆归尘土
怜我世人 惑患实多 怜我世人 惑患实多
peak
Ziti Zealot

Postby Reki on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:43 am

Actually 公交 really means Public Transportation, not just Bus per se.
Reki
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Thank you, Reki!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Reki on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:11 pm

No problem~

Is everybody in this thread predominantly located in Australia, or is it just me who read wrongly? Haha!
Reki
Conchigliette Convert

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Reki wrote:No problem~

Is everybody in this thread predominantly located in Australia, or is it just me who read wrongly? Haha!

The forums are mainly North American. I reckon it's roughly a 60:20:20 split between Americans and Canadians:British:Aussies among the regular posters.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Reki on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:06 am

daftbeaker wrote:
Reki wrote:No problem~

The forums are mainly North American. I reckon it's roughly a 60:20:20 split between Americans and Canadians:British:Aussies among the regular posters.

I actually meant this thread, as opposed to the whole board, but it's nice to know as well~ It does seem that there are a lot of Americans here though.
Reki
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 am

There are quite a lot of Americans on these forums, but one would expect that. The site was started by a chap in the US because of peculiarly US problems with a peculiarly US education system. Also, there are more English-speaking North Americans (USA and Canada) than there are British and Australian people. There are a scattering of people here for whom English is not the first language, but there are Pastafarian sites in other languages so I expect most non-English speakers go to one of them.

I expect that the reason more Australians than others are contributing to this thread is cultural; of the four countries I have mentioned, only Australia teaches Chinese in primary school and only Australia has close cultural ties with China and a lot of Chinese immigration. Many of my and my sons' friends are Chinese, whereas I knew very few Chinese people back home.

I am aware that by the end of this year there will probably be more people who can speak English in China than English speakers in any other country, even India.

May I ask where you are, Reki?
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Reki on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:48 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:There are quite a lot of Americans on these forums, but one would expect that. The site was started by a chap in the US because of peculiarly US problems with a peculiarly US education system. Also, there are more English-speaking North Americans (USA and Canada) than there are British and Australian people. There are a scattering of people here for whom English is not the first language, but there are Pastafarian sites in other languages so I expect most non-English speakers go to one of them.

I expect that the reason more Australians than others are contributing to this thread is cultural; of the four countries I have mentioned, only Australia teaches Chinese in primary school and only Australia has close cultural ties with China and a lot of Chinese immigration. Many of my and my sons' friends are Chinese, whereas I knew very few Chinese people back home.

I am aware that by the end of this year there will probably be more people who can speak English in China than English speakers in any other country, even India.

May I ask where you are, Reki?

I couldn't find a good Chinese Pastafarian website though, you would have thought it would be possible seeing that FSM has its own page on the Chinese version of Wikipedia... I didn't find the whole Chinese/Australia relationship surprising, because I do know that there are many Chinese immigrants there (though I have to say, knowing that they teach Chinese in primary school is really a pleasant surprise!) since, well, I do have friends there.

I highly doubt that there would be more people who can speak English in China though. They would mostly be concentrated around the economic hubs like Beijing and Shanghai, but two out of the many provinces/cities in China is a tough call. I go to China on a yearly basis and am shocked by the disparity in Beijing and Xiamen alone. The people in my village don't even really speak Chinese (more of dialect), and they don't understand a single word of English.

And they have graduated through high school/university in Xiamen.

I might be bullshitting though, but personally I don't think so. It might change, but I think saying end of this year is really...pushing it? My opinion, entirely though.

I'm from Singapore. Can't say I'm really proud of it, but I won't say I am ashamed of it either...
Reki
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I was only in Singapore for a couple of days, but I thought it was beautiful!

I apologise about the English-speaking Chinese - it is from this article in the Irish Times - simply because the population of China is so enormous, even if only a moderate percentage of the people is learning English, that equates to an huge number, so by the end of the year, China will be the country with the biggest number of English speakers. I accidentally conflated it with an article that said that the number of English speakers in China will exceed the number in the rest of the world by 2025.

Clifford Coonan wrote:Chinese people are becoming increasingly obsessed with speaking English, and efforts to improve English-language proficiency mean that at some stage this year, the world’s most populous nation will become the world’s largest English-speaking country. Two billion people are learning English worldwide, and a very large percentage of them are in China
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

PreviousNext

Return to Languages Other than English