Our Animals

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Our Animals

Postby TwistedSister on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:37 pm

Starting this thread again because the original one I started is MIA.

My cat Max started crying tonight. One of those mournful cries. I thought that he was just trying to figure out where Oliver (the other cat) was hiding. He did this several times. He shows up in the living room and starts pawing in one Mt. Ts's slippers and squatting (like he's going to do his business). I pick him up and take him upstairs where the boxes are. I pet him and he sticks his butt up in the air and keeps it there even when I'm done petting him.
(?????)
This continues for a little while with some butt licking. After a time, he pukes up what looked like his dinner and Oliver's dinner. (Max is a pudge)
I thought he might be bound up (butt end wise) after seeing what he puked up, I'm hoping that will solve the problem.
Briefly thought he may have gotten into the tinsel on our Charlie Brown Tree, but I haven't seen him on the table the tree is on and the tinsel isn't hanging down low.
Tried to get him to lick some butter for lubrication, but he wasn't interested.
Sure hope he's feeling better in the morning, otherwise it's going to be a 13 mile trip to the vet that's always open.
I'm sure glad I never had kids. The critters give me worry enough.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Re: Our Animals

Postby Elvalia on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:30 pm

My dad is going to take my dog to the vet this week. She's about 13ish years old, and she's got odd lumps all over her, and now one near her face has opened up and has really nasty-smelling clear stuff weeping out of it. It's looking bad for her.

I lost my kitty cat a little over a year ago, I don't want to lose my puppy too... :sad:
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:23 am

Sorry to hear that to both of you guys. It always makes me sad to hear about animals suffering.

For future reference, these three:

are Angel (grey and black...and fat), Weapon (grey and white) and Twitch (solid black).

And this:

is Loki. He's a loner.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:17 am

I guess you all already know Milo:

This is him pulling a Christmas cracker. We took him to visit his brother, who lives with Mrs. H.'s mum, and they fought with each other, as brothers will do, for an hour and a half. Then they fell asleep lying all over each other.

El, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. My folks lost a dog this time last year (they have always had two or three at any given time), and it's never easy. Hopefully your dog will be alright.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby TwistedSister on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Elvalia wrote:My dad is going to take my dog to the vet this week. She's about 13ish years old, and she's got odd lumps all over her, and now one near her face has opened up and has really nasty-smelling clear stuff weeping out of it. It's looking bad for her.

I lost my kitty cat a little over a year ago, I don't want to lose my puppy too... :sad:

El, are the small, pinkish lumps???
Abbey, the dog we are watching (who is currently looking up at me as I type this) has little lumps all over her which break open and ooze. They are on her back and lets mainly.
She's been checked by the vet and even had some removed. The ones she has aren't life threatening, just kinda icky. Her parents have started her on some sort of supplement, which they say is helping.
The dog is about 10 years old, so they don't want to keep having them removed surgically.
Hopefully your pooch has something similar.
Keep us posted.

Oh, my fat boy is just fine today.
TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:21 pm

Sorry, me again.
Fat boy Max does have something going on with him.
(Where the heck is ET when you need him???)
All day long he seemed fine, except I noticed he was licking himself "down there" more than usual.
Tonight he started crying again. I followed him out into the laundry room and there he was peeing on the throw rug.
Something he NEVER does. After that he seemed back to normal.
I think he may have developed those crystals male cats can get in their urethra.
I've never had a cat with this problem before but that's what it seems like.
So tomorrow first thing I'll call the local vet (much as I hate to use her again) and see if they can fit us in.
If not, I'm off to the vet that took care of Felix.
Max is due for his shots anyway so at least I can get that taken care of also.

I just wonder where else in the house he's peed.......
TwistedSister

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:28 pm

TwistedSister wrote:I think he may have developed those crystals male cats can get in their urethra.

:shocked: Poor bugger. Humans can get a similar thing if catheters are left in for too long (there was a poster with some rather horrible pictures on the ward last time I was there).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby DavidH on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:43 am

TS, best of luck to poor old Max, and to you. I bet the vet will fix it easily.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks guys. I have an appointment at 9:15 a.m. today. (with the vet close by)
I'll be late for work, but my cat is more important.

I'll update later.
TwistedSister

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:22 am

We're at my brother's house with his TWENTY year old cat, Gray. She stared at us all through breakfast.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:58 pm

I thought you were allergic???

Anyways, Max clawed the hell out of my arm when I tried to get him stuffed into the carrier. (Good thing he doesn't have front claws) Next time I'm dropping him in ass end first to begin with.

He was on his way to a blockage. Vet said it's a good thing I pay attention how my pets act otherwise I might have brought him in after the blockage, which would require an overnight visit and a catheter.
They gave him some fluids, pain killer and antibiotics. I just have to keep an eye on him for the next couple of days.
Of course, now I have to take him back to get his rabies shot (he's due) because they wouldn't give it to him until his little problem clears up.

Side note; my arm hurts like hell.
TwistedSister

Postby DavidH on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:21 pm

TwistedSister wrote: I just have to keep an eye on him for the next couple of days.

Good news (except your arm).
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby TwistedSister on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 pm

DavidH wrote:
TwistedSister wrote: I just have to keep an eye on him for the next couple of days.

Good news (except your arm).

And the cat pee all over the place now that he feels more relaxed due to the meds, it seems as though he has been having accidents.
ON MY CARPETS!!!!!! :furious:

I wuvs him though (only because I do happen to have a shampoo machine for the carpets)
TwistedSister

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Sorry to have been MIA, Twisty. I'll PM you with my email address (if I can remember long enough) so you can hit me directly when this stuff comes up. Yeah, reading the first post I was thinking crystals/blockage/UTI. We make sure to feed a low-ash food so as to minimize the chance for the crystals, but they still happen once in a while. UTI is more common in females, but males can get it too, and the crystals/blockage is more common for males. If your guy is prone to getting them, there is s special (read: more expensive) food you can get from the vet that helps. Two of our guys are on special food for different conditions, and we have to add pumpkin pie filling to a couple of the dishes to help with pooping for a couple of them too. Managing mealtime can be challenging.
Good on you for being aware of his deviation from his usual habits - many people don't pay any attention to that kind of stuff at all.

The peeing around the house can be a real problem if you don't stay on top of it, and you may have to ditch the carpet eventually anyhow. It happened to us in our previoius house, and it's happening to my cousin (39+/- cats) in her house now. They can still smell it even after you clean it up, and they think "Oh! Someone peed here! I better pee on it, to cover up the smell." Not the most effective method, but then cats aren't generally known for their engineering feats.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby TwistedSister on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks ET!!
I've never had this problem in any of my cats and I've had males and females over the years.
Food I'm feeding isn't high in ash, but we do have well water. Vet suggested bottled water but when I talked to the vet tech that helps me out alot, she said I need to give them distilled water. (no minerals)
Carpets are over 20 years old, we put them in when we bought the house.
Dog pee. Cat pee.
Guess we will have to replace them if we ever go to sell the house.

Good note: Max is feeling much better and my house, even after alot of peeing incidents over the years, doesn't smell like pee.
unless you have your face right on the floor.
TwistedSister

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion