His Dark Materials

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Clifford on Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Aye, the Potter novels have credit for boosting the appetite for reading

But I still don't like them. <<< my opinion, but each to his/her own
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Re: His Dark Materials

Postby GreenRain22 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 pm

OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK. My teacher hates it, (It's killing God!!! AHHHH Me: ... I don't believe in God... I believe in His Yumminess...) but I adore the series. It also had a VERY good romantic subplot, which sent my shojo manga loving sistah off the charts. Best book I've read, right next to HP.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm

I watched the movie before I read the books and having only seen the movie I was at first completely lost as to why everyone was complaining about the Pullman series being anti-religious. That theme didn't really exist in the movie, or at least wasn't as glaringly obvious.

It was a pretty good movie. See, I can say that because I watched the movie first. The movie helped me make some interesting insights into the book by the mere fact that it was so different, but if I'd read the books before the movie I would've been too furious about them disney-fying the story to appreciate it.

It was a great book. I'm glad that the movie was done differently, because I still had the chance to be completely blown away by the ending of Book 1.

As far as Harry Potter goes, I always felt that the series went downhill after 4. Well technically I thought it went downhill after 3, but only because 3 was so awesome that it couldn't be topped. In all fairness, I probably haven't read the last 3 as slowly as I should have because I was too overpoweringly curious to know how it ended... I ought to reread the series.

I was quite sorrowed that Rowling didn't pull a complete twist or conspiracy together. The ending seemed ridiculously predictable--*SPOILERS ALERT* Snape was really a good guy all along, the last horcrux is Harry, and our favorite non-main characters are killed off. My grandmother had this great theory that Professor Mcgonagall was the real evil mastermind behind everything. It makes sense... She's always an impediment in some way under the guise of making sure everyone follows the rules, she's right up there where she can influence the good 'ol man Dumbledore, and her name is Minerva which fits into the idea that she is the patiently waiting wise one.
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Clifford on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Can someone lay out to me the basis of the Golden Compass being a good film? I have yet to be given reasons for that opinion.
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:48 pm

I read the books long before I saw the film. The books were amazing and literally blew me away, as this was the period I was confirming, so to speak, my long-running current philosophy on religion. As for the film, although I thought it was ok, I was a little biased from having read the books beforehand. The amazing message in the books still gets me to this day. There is also the fact that I know several people who worked on the game who are big fans of the book, and they knew what was being done to the books in relation to the film, so I was already disappointed before I saw it. I did try to keep an open mind, and still enjoy watching the film, it's just that i'd rather read the books instead. One of my friends got to go to the premiere in London and meet Philip Pullman. He told him the books were better lol.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors