Desert Island Discs

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Desert Island Discs

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 am

I was going to put some best of albums like Led Zep Early days and Latter days, Best of Depeche Mode, Talking Heads...so I don't think you should be allowed them...don't forget your supposed to be revealing intimate details about yourself by discussing why you like a particular song...we know you love Pink Floyd.

Up the students!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:10 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I suppose I'm not allowed any 'Best Of' albums am I? :annoyed:

Why not? Two of the albums I listed were compilations.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby DavidH on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:36 pm

They're pretty lucky these days to get whole albums instead of 78s.

1. I decided I couldn't have all Mozart, I'd have to have the two giant figures of my youth: Bob Dylan (for the content) and Joan Baez (for the voice). So I'll have the album 'Farewell Angelina' and get both in one.

2. The Harry Lime Theme from The Third Man, played by Anton Karas.

3. Bach, Das Wohltemperierte Klavier, any good performance (2CDs in one box, usually).

4. Schubert's 5th and 8th (that's one CD) - any good performance.

5. The Mozart Horn Concertos, Academy of St Martins in the Fields, cond. Neville Mariner, soloist Peter Damm.

6, 7 & 8 would be all Mozart, but I can't choose. I can't leave anything out.

Luxury item - a dusky maiden if allowed and if Bart hasn't grabbed her first.
Book - depends on if I get the dusky maiden or not.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby pnutcat on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:28 am

Moo Sick:

1)'Midian' - Cradle of Filth
Defly the best British rock album ever. The interplay of rhythms, intricate arrangements and intelligent lyrics make up for the lack of lead guitar solos. I've found that the more I play lead guitar, the more I've tended to appreciate the whole of the music, pertickly the drums, where before I tended to concentrate mostly on the lead guitarist.

2)'Nymphetamine' - Cradle of Filth
A later album, more complex, with more depth in the ideas behind the lyrics.

3)'F*ck you all!' - Carpathian Forest
Egregiously deranged stuff! Nattefrost has the most horrible (and therefore the coolest) voice ever. The 3rd track has what I consider to be the best song title ever: "Start up the incinerator, here comes another useless fool".
CF have a genius for titles, eg: "Doomed to walk the Earth as slaves of the living dead"

4)'Everything you thought was right was wrong today' - Slobberbone
A bit of country rock for variety. One song, "Gimme back my dog", is the sort of thing where you'd think 'WTF?' at first, but by the time it's nearing the finish, you don't want it to end!

5)'Let it rock: Best of' - the Georgia Satellites
Stormin Southern boogie, nuff said.

6)'Strangers in the night' - UFO live
The all-time pinnacle of metal guitar. Michael Schencker at his very best. After this album, metal went downhill - the so-called 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal' lacked skill, and until Death Metal came along (and didn't even get good until the 2nd generation) Metal degenerated until it was just pop music in a leather jacket.

7)'Dueling banjos (from the original soundtrack) Deliverance' - Eric Weissberg and Steve Mandell
Totally Dukes of Hazzard! Fave track "Hard ain't it hard" which starts 'slow' (relatively!) so you can appreciate the complexity and skill, then goes full speed and blows yer socks off!

8)'Iowa' - Slipknot
This album saved my sanity (such as it is)! Something terrible had happened to me: I fell in love. She was perfect in every way except that she was too wild to have a serious relationship with. Songs like "Disasterpiece", "Everything ends", and "I am hated" helped me to cope with the aftermath.
I had given up on metal since the NWOBHM in the late seventies, but Slipknot restored my faith. Hearing Joey Jordison actually made me feel (for a moment) that I should have taken up drums instead of guitar!

Book: The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft
I know he wasn't the most technically accomplished writer, but there's something about the mood of his stories that you can lose yourself in. I'm kinda torn between this choice and the Complete Works of PG Wodehouse.

Luxury Article: Archtop acoustic guitar
Since I can only have one article, I can't choose an electric guitar cos I'd also need an amplifier, generator and fuel, so it would have to be a Koo Stick - my Godin 5th Avenue.
This is kinda unfair, tho, cos to me a guitar isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.
pnutcat
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby black bart on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:43 am

So many people have got guitars on their islands I can't hear my records playing! :furious:

...and nobody warned me about the crabs! :furious:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DavidH on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:48 am

You mean .... the dusky maiden's got CRABS??? :antipasta:
Lucky you got to her first.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 am

DavidH wrote:You mean .... the dusky maiden's got CRABS??? :antipasta:
Lucky you got to her first.

Yeah...and she wasn't just dusky, she was downright dirty! :lech:

Tell Roy to turn his Motorhead amplifier down from 11 to 10, it's causing a Tsunami.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors