Curry

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Curry

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Another great thread...well done chaps. You may have observed my Fish Head Stew from my pirate party a year or so ago was actually Bengal Fish Stew.

Hounslow is not far away and neither is Southall...need I say more.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby spaghettijim on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:47 am

Spaghetti Jim says
Par boil some cut up carrots and cauliflower. Mix in some good curry powder, not too much, and let sit.
Meanwhile cut up a piece of Queso fresco (the stuff that doesn't melt) into little pieces.
Saute the veggies and toss with the cheese
Boil up some noodles. I use Spaghetti Jim's Taglearini.
Mix noodles with the curried veggies.
Arrgh there ya go matie
And remember the pirates warning: "You havent been around the world until you have been around the world on a Greek pirate ship."
spaghettijim
Conchigliette Convert

Postby black bart on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 am

spaghettijim wrote:

"You havent been around the world until you have been around the world on a Greek pirate ship."

Don't tell me they make you eat curried Moussaka?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Just made a lamb curry. Onion, chillis and chilli powder fried in a bit of oil, then diced lamb added and browned. Then I added passata and greek yoghurt, garam masala, ground cumin and some coriander leaves. It all tasted nice but I've noticed that there are little flecks of something floating in it that look like the yoghurt's curdled.

It doesn't taste any different but it looks a bit odd, any ideas how to stop it happening?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm

DB, cook everything first and then take it off the heat and slowly mix in the yogurt. That should solve your problem.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby black bart on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:50 am

I have an Indian recipe which uses yoghurt...I thinks it's Tikka Massala...I think Twisty is right.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks Twisty, it helped. I still got the interesting flecks of stuff but it turned out to be probably the tastiest curry I've cooked :smile: Yoghurt adding near the end is definitely a good trick.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Thanks Twisty, it helped. I still got the interesting flecks of stuff but it turned out to be probably the tastiest curry I've cooked :smile: Yoghurt adding near the end is definitely a good trick.

Glad I could help.
TwistedSister

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:55 am

You could add some bright red food colouring like they do in some Indian restaurants so you get Dayglo Red chicken.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 am

black bart wrote:You could add some carmine dye, which is made out of cochineal bugs picked off cactus plants, like they do in some Indian restaurants so you get Dayglo Red chicken.
Fixed.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Horza on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:33 am

Is eating Cochineal Bugs any more disturbing than eating chicken though?
Horza
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 am

Well, more people go "Eugh! Bugs!" than go "Eugh! Chicken!"

I don't mind cochineal at all.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby TwistedSister on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:11 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Well, more people go "Eugh! Bugs!" than go "Eugh! Chicken!"

I don't mind cochineal at all.

Of course not, you also enjoy Haggis.
TwistedSister

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 am

You can also get that glorious glow of red or gold by adding sincere quantities of paprika or turmeric, which will also warm the flavors without making it significantly "hotter". Bonus: turmeric capsicum and/or curcumin has been linked to helping the body identify and disrupt or destroy pre-cancerous cells that could lead to tumors. This has nothing to do with good cooking, per se, but it's fun to visualize as you chomp your tasty curry.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Horza on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:48 am

I take it that is what the red is supposed to represent. As we do so much of our eating with our eyes even the cochineal has probably not died in vain as red stained chicken "tastes" better than the pale alternative.
Horza
Maccheroncelli Missionary

PreviousNext

Return to Food