Garlic Terminology - Must Read!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Garlic Terminology - Must Read!

Postby gannstboy on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:10 am

garlic is undeniably totally deserving of this entire thread just to praise it
"Life, is like a grapefruit. [...]it's orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast." - Douglas Adams (From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

"Christianity: Believing that a Jewish zombie who was his own father sent himself down to die for the sins of mankind that were started by an animated dirt-man and rib-woman who were tricked into eating magic fruit by a talking snake." -Anonmyous
gannstboy
Lord of Linguini

Postby LibraLabRat on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:29 am

I have many ways of preparing garlic, depending on the dish. I also buy it in joblots from Sam's. Two pound tubs of peeled cloves for most cooking, two pounds minced in olive oil for things like omelets and sauces...and I buy whole bulbs for special dishes. Anyone here like Aioli? Sometimes I roast whole bulbs with butter, then puree the resulting cloves with a bit more butter to put on my garlic bread. I almost never use garlic powder, or any of the chemically treated preparations that come in spice jars.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby gannstboy on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:37 pm

this is a great thread
"Life, is like a grapefruit. [...]it's orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast." - Douglas Adams (From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

"Christianity: Believing that a Jewish zombie who was his own father sent himself down to die for the sins of mankind that were started by an animated dirt-man and rib-woman who were tricked into eating magic fruit by a talking snake." -Anonmyous
gannstboy
Lord of Linguini

Postby PantyGnawer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:58 pm

I smoke it in my smoker (Big green egg) until it is about half dried out. It's chewy but not crunchy. Has a nice bit of smoky flavor.

Also, freezing peeled garlic cloves works really well. As a plus, the freezing process seems to make most of the cells break open so that when you cook with it the garlic flavor is released really fast!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby bacon on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:38 am

hmm - thanks for the tip pg - i'm definitely going to try that

i looked in my fridge yesterday and noticed several heads of garlic all over the place - apparently i buy two every week without even thinking about how much i have at home
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Garlic on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:34 am

Mmmmm, gahlic! I love it fresh diced with white wine for steaming clams, or roasted with brie on french bread with chili oil. One can never have too much garlic.
Garlic
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Andrey Kurtenkov on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Too much garlic can increase your saintly image. :scientist:
Andrey Kurtenkov
Chitarra Captain

Postby gannstboy on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:34 pm

we are growing garlic in our garden. when the wind blows hard enough, our entire back yard smells of garlic
gannstboy
Lord of Linguini

Postby AUSloth on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:24 pm

Just discovered this thread after browsing the curry thread - NOW I'M STARVING!!
A couple of interesting garlic anecdotes from my world.
One of my brothers on moving from the family home started cooking for himself. Thought steak with onion gravy and vegetables would be good but after a few tankards of the frothy brown vitamin beer had chopped 2 whole garlic heads (not cloves) for the gravy and consumed it. Needless to say he was introduced to out door living for a while.
We had a pet magpie who used to forage in the garden for critta's when we turned the soil for the vegatable plot and decided the garlic shoots were some sort of funny insect and ate the lot (2 x 10foot rows). Have you ever had garlc breath from a bird for a week?!!
I recently discovered smoked garlic on a trip to New Zealand - the home of everything smoked (you know that long white cloud they talk of in Aoteroa? It's from the smokers!) and it is just brilliant. Consequently I am now fabricating a smoker.
AUSloth
Ziti Zealot

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:58 am

AUSloth wrote:I recently discovered smoked garlic on a trip to New Zealand - the home of everything smoked (you know that long white cloud they talk of in Aoteroa? It's from the smokers!) and it is just brilliant. Consequently I am now fabricating a smoker.
I love smoked garlic, especially in paella. We use a portable barbecue with a lid to smoke garlic. Scott the Pirate and PantyGnawer (wherever he is) will probably go on about all the different woods you can use to smoke stuff, but I live in an area with lots of forestry, so I just use whatever woodchips I can find when I am out walking the dog. You don't want a ferocious heat in the barbie, pile the coals in the middle and put the garlic round the edges, where it won't get too hot. About half an hour with the lid on and you're done.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pnutcat on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:30 pm

For pirate recipes, use gARRRlic. (Somebody had to say it!)
pnutcat
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Ravi Oli on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:04 am

We use garlic in a majority of cooking... nowhere what you lads do as I don't think I could live with myself or expect anyone else to without a stash of breath mints in hand.

My fav is deep fried garlic peanuts. Takes some work so special occassions ie when missus feels like it.
Raw peanuts are soaked and skins removed [hard part] then marinated in thin-sliced garlic for a day or two. then its deepfrying, garlic and all till crispy and then lightly salted... YUM. [not very oily if drained and spread on kitchen paper]
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby vhincentmiller on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi,

I am really agree to what you had discussed. Like others, I check first the ingredients to be able to avoid mistakes while cooking. And it is good to know about this thing, especially those that are women and wives.
vhincentmiller
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Iony on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:59 am

Hm!I know the garlic is more healthy food. It is good for heart!
Iony
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Food