Earworms!

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Earworms!

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:55 pm

I heard Tori Amos' cover of Angie on the radio last night, and haven't been able to get it out of my head since.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm

I've had several songs running through my head lately.

First, Ubi Dubius got the fight music from the original Star Trek in my head. Not by singing it or anything, just by mentioning that he had it stuck in his head.

But then I went to the "Is god our enemy" thread, and now I've got a very silly song stuck in my head. On TOP of the other one.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWU1CmrJNc

So now I have cucumbers in pirate hats in my head, fighting each other with lirpas. I think that means I've stayed up too late.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby TwistedSister on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 pm

My suggestion is to :nefyoobash: yourself until they are all gone.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:15 am

Or you could just go to unhearit. Keep in mind, some of the songs there are even worse, so try it at your own risk.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:Or you could just go to unhearit. Keep in mind, some of the songs there are even worse, so try it at your own risk.

Darn you to heck :moon:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:Or you could just go to unhearit. Keep in mind, some of the songs there are even worse, so try it at your own risk.

AAAAGH! Now my lirpa-wielding cucumbers are accompanied by single ladies whilstling the Andy Griffith theme. I'm going to have to focus on work today or something!

(Edit - I just noticed my post count is 2222. Now I'm going to have to be quiet, because I like that number and I want to keep it for a little while.)

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 am

For some unearthly reason a Eurovision song (Ding a Dong) popped into my head this morning and I can't get it out...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!!!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:27 pm

In my experience, singing a few bars or verses of "Paint It, Black" by the Rolling Stones will knock out any other song that is haunting you. For some reason, "Paint It, Black" itself seems to refuse to stay in mind, thus freeing the user from any earworm state for the time being. I have never known it to fail, and I have suggested it to many people on many occasions since I discovered this eery dynamic. It always seems to work.

Good luck with yours.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am

I wouldn't say that. I had this phase in middle school where I'd managed to piss off all of my pitifully few friends, and "Paint it black" was the ONLY SONG that would be in my head for any substantial amount of time during this period.
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby DavidH on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 am

I always use the opening bars of Schubert's 5th. Problem is, that can then become the earworm. :facewall:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Arkaeon on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:14 am

Re: PIB and Ham

Yah, but you weren't using it to drive away another song. You were using it to drive away the entire human race. That takes continuing effort, especially considering how lovable you really are.
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 pm

I have a really short earworm right now, which is extra annoying because it just repeats in my head over and over. It's one of Paul and Storm's proposed commercial jingles. and the words go like this:

"When you're done with your Domino's pizza...eat the box because it tastes the same."

That's it, the entire thing.

They have a few others, including:

"Nec-co Wa-fers, ...the candy nobody likes."

But it's the Dominos commercial that's stuck.

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Still having twitching flashbacks to Saturday night, playing bass at a gig with Helen and Fran, two left-handed guitarists. It's hard enough 'reading' a leftie, but Helen plays a left-handed guitar, and Fran plays a right-handed guitar upside-down (top E at the top of the guitar, bottom E at the bottom, all chord shapes upside-down).

But it gets worse. We were playing a cover of Nanci Griffiths' Is This All There Is?. I was playing the song on open strings in Emaj, Fran was playing in Dmaj with a capo on the second fret, and Helen was playing in Cmaj with a capo on the fourth fret.

We were all a bit rusty, so I usually shout chords to people (I never forget a song. I can't remember what day of the week it is, but I never forget a song). Except, I had to transpose what I was playing up a tone for Fran, and up a fourth for Helen: "C, Helen! Not you Fran, you're in D!", whilst I am trying to riff on E. So I am shouting "Helen! F, Dmin, C! Fran! G, Emin, D!" while I am trying to play A, F#min, E.

Funnily enough, we made it without a dropped note. Then we moved on to Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris' Juanita, in Ab, with a key change up to Bb. Ab is not a key to a bass player, it's a punishment. What did I do wrong, oh FSM? What did I do wrong?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

The last night of my cruise I got drunk and sang Africa at karaoke. It's now three days later, and the song is still bouncing around between my ears.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Fran plays a right-handed guitar upside-down (top E at the top of the guitar, bottom E at the bottom, all chord shapes upside-down).

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors