Cool stuff found on the Interwebs

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Cool stuff found on the Interwebs

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 pm

This is intended as a counterpoint to funny stuff found on the interwebs: stuff that is not funny, but is undeniably cool. So here we go...

The last ever launch of Space Shuttle Discovery as viewed from a commercial airliner.

Not funny. But cool.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: Cool stuff found on the Interwebs

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 am

Thank you for posting that, Roy! I wonder what it must have felt like to be a passenger on that aeroplane and watch the shuttle go past so fast that it was as if they were standing still. Even on video it is impressive.

I had just watched this programme on telly a couple of days ago, which gives an idea of what the aeroplane might have looked like to the people on the shuttle.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby black bart on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks to Ravi Oli I've gone off on a Steely Dan YouTube tangent for the last half hour or so...this is my favourite clip:

Kid Charlemagne live
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:44 am

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby gronank on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 am

I think he/she were rather well aware of the track beforehand
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:55 am

I'm pretty sure the horn noise is actually the brake blocks :shocked: Watching that actually scared me a bit.

Oh, I got sent this in my email. The Universe to scale :scientist:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:06 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Oh, I got sent this in my email. The Universe to scale :scientist:

It's cool, but they should have set it to this music.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby gronank on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 am

Th visible universe isn't 14bnly in radius, it is closer to 46bn. It is true that the universe is about 14bn years old and light obviosly travels at the speed of light. The extra size comes from the fact that space itself expands. I don't think there are any exceedingly intuive analogies for this though. Imagine walking at a constant speed on a rubber band that is stretching, The further you get towards your destination, the more of the way increase from the stretching is behind you where you already walked.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 am

I understood that the visible universe is 14,000,000,000* light years in radius but the actual size of the universe is much, much bigger; the rest is invisible because the age of the universe is 14,000,000,000* years and the speed of light is such that there hasn't been time for the light from anything further away to reach us.

(*approximate values)

Edit: It is my understanding that, if the further universe is expanding away from us at a relative speed greater than that of light, we'll never be able to see it.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby gronank on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:48 am

The oldest parts of the universe we can see is about 14bn years old and are at a distance of about 46bn light years away. That is, if we froze the expansion of the universe and pointed a laser at those parts, we would se a reflection in 92bn years (all the way over there and all the way back). And as I stated, this is not at all intuitive since we're just not used to space behaving that way.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:41 am

gronank wrote:Th visible universe isn't 14bnly in radius, it is closer to 46bn. It is true that the universe is about 14bn years old and light obviosly travels at the speed of light. The extra size comes from the fact that space itself expands. I don't think there are any exceedingly intuive analogies for this though. Imagine walking at a constant speed on a rubber band that is stretching, The further you get towards your destination, the more of the way increase from the stretching is behind you where you already walked.

The metaphor I like is a balloon. If you draw dots on at a certain distance and then blow it up, the dots are farther apart but haven't actually moved anywhere :scientist:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby gronank on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:53 am

daftbeaker wrote:
gronank wrote:Th visible universe isn't 14bnly in radius, it is closer to 46bn. It is true that the universe is about 14bn years old and light obviosly travels at the speed of light. The extra size comes from the fact that space itself expands. I don't think there are any exceedingly intuive analogies for this though. Imagine walking at a constant speed on a rubber band that is stretching, The further you get towards your destination, the more of the way increase from the stretching is behind you where you already walked.

The metaphor I like is a balloon. If you draw dots on at a certain distance and then blow it up, the dots are farther apart but haven't actually moved anywhere :scientist:

Any future explanation of the phenomenon will consist of an ant walking on an inflating balloon.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:02 am

gronank wrote:Any future explanation of the phenomenon will consist of an ant walking on an inflating balloon.

A masterful metaphor :smile:

daftbeaker

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 am

Ant walking on an inflating mobius strip? :evilgrin:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Volcano lake.

It looks small until you see picture 20 and suddenly it all jumps into scale :scientist:

daftbeaker

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes