FSM items "officially" translated into other langu

Home for all languages OTHER than plain old English (all varieties)

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: FSM items "officially" translated into other langu

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 am

My Swedish is a little rusty (I used to sing James Brown's I Feel Good in Swedish), but here goes:

"Hej": Hi!
"Jag är en äggplanta": I am an eggplant (aubergine)
"Vad är din hattstorlek?": What is your hat size?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby DavidH on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:59 am

What's the Swedish for 'smukke pige, jeg elsker de'? That would have more impact than hat-sizes. Bart could then try a Swedish version of 'Skal vi knalde for penge? Nej, for sympathie?'
Always worked for me.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 am

DavidH wrote:What's the Swedish for 'smukke pige, jeg elsker de'? That would have more impact than hat-sizes. Bart could then try a Swedish version of 'Skal vi knalde for penge? Nej, for sympathie?'
Always worked for me.

I am from 'Penge'?

I can't see how that's going to impress anybody, let alone the gorgeous and intelligent Isabelle.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Bug on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:43 am

DavidH wrote:What's the Swedish for 'smukke pige, jeg elsker de'? That would have more impact than hat-sizes. Bart could then try a Swedish version of 'Skal vi knalde for penge? Nej, for sympathie?'
Always worked for me.

That would be "Vackra flicka, jag älskar dig". (Beautiful girl, I love you).

Using the word "Pige" might get him slapped, since "Piga" means "Female servant/worker". Just as the danish word for boy, "Dreng" is the Swedish word for male servant/worker (Dräng). :confused:

The other one is "Ska vi knulla för pengar? Nej, för sympati". I don't recommend that one for impressing any girl, but maybe David has other experiences :grin:

If Bart doesn't want to talk about eggplants, I would suggest he starts with "Hej". Other useful sentences:

Vad heter du? = What's your name?
Vad jobbar du med? = What do you work with?
Vill du ha en till drink? = Do you wan't another drink? (She's Swedish, ofc she'll want another drink, but its polite to ask)
Har du hört talas om det Flygande Spaghettimonstret? = Have you heard about the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Jag har ett träben = I have a wooden leg
Jag älskar dig = I love you. :love:

Basic words, for the few that doesn't know a word of Swedish:
I = Jag
You = Du (One person) Ni (Several people)
Beer = Öl :drinking:
Swede = Svensk
Swedish lady/Swedish (language) = Svenska

The longest language lesson yet. Study hard :haha:
Error: Clever pun and random quote not found
Bug
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:57 am

A random memory wanders through my mind. I suppose I'd better record it before it's gone for good.

On a school 'geography trip' to Exeter (geography trip = opportunity to drink cider and try to get your hand up girls' jumpers), we were in a dormitory block next to some Swedish students. One of my classmates became smitten with a Svenska, and was dying to impress her in some way (he was 13 years old, spotty and bespectacled - it was a tall order).

Our unmitigated genius of a geography teacher said "Did you know that Swedish people lace their shoes up the other way round? They tie the knot down at the bottom, nearest the toes..." He said this with a straight face. We could not believe that our classmate was going to fall for it, but he did.

You can try it if you like, but it is almost impossible to put your shoes on if they are laced the wrong way round. Nevertheless, our smitten comrade did exactly that, and wandered around next to the Swedish students trying to draw attention to his unconventional footwear. Did he notice that the Swedes themselves had their shoes laced in a conventional fashion? No, he did not. Did he pull himself a Swedish babe? No, he did not. Did we let him forget about it for the next four years at school? No, we did not.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks for the extremely useful Swedish phrases Bug.

Roy wrote:

he was 13 years old, spotty and bespectacled - it was a tall order).

We were all 13 years old, spotty and bespectacled once...and some of us were ginger! No chance.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DavidH on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:53 am

^^ :lol: :haha:

The other one is "Ska vi knulla för pengar? Nej, för sympati". I don't recommend that one for impressing any girl, but maybe David has other experiences .

A gentleman never tells. :haha:

Mind you, when I was a young lad you could generally get your way with a Danish girl if you gave her a fill of good strong tobacco for her pipe.

It is tempting to draw etymological conclusions about the word 'shag' from this.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Bug on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 am

:lol: at Roys story

DavidH wrote:
Mind you, when I was a young lad you could generally get your way with a Danish girl if you gave her a fill of good strong tobacco for her pipe.

It is tempting to draw etymological conclusions about the word 'shag' from this.

Then, in interest of full etymological disclosure: google translate told me one of the possible translations for "shag" was "ragg" which also means...

Someone you've picked up :lech:
Error: Clever pun and random quote not found
Bug
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Our unmitigated genius of a geography teacher said "Did you know that Swedish people lace their shoes up the other way round? They tie the knot down at the bottom, nearest the toes..." He said this with a straight face. We could not believe that our classmate was going to fall for it, but he did.

I need to remember that one, it could come in useful :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby shagy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 am

In hebrew (with english pronunciation)

The Flying Spaghetti Monster - מפלצת הספגטי המעופפת (Mifletzet Haspageti hameofefet)
Pastafarian - פסטפרי (Pastafari)
Pastafarianism - פסטפראניזם (Pastafarianism)
His Noodliness - הוד נודלייתו (Hod Noodlyato)
His Noodly Appendage - גפתו המדלדלת (Gapato Hamidaldelet)**
Stripper Factory - מפעל הסטריפריות (Mifal Hastriperiot)
Pirate - פיראט (Perat)
Beer Volcano - הר הבירה (Har Habeera)
Pirate Ship - ספינת פיראטים (Shfinat Peratim)
RAmen - ראמן (RAmen)
Shpageti Chudoviste.

** this is not a direct tranlsation but a translation based on meaning. "Midaldelet" is in hebrew for wagaling (female form) like a a noddle is waggling around so it's more accureate to say in hebrew that then use the name of our lord and saver)
shagy
Conchigliette Convert

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks for that, shagy. :fsm_yarr:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Previous

Return to Languages Other than English