Are there any Baristas here??

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Are there any Baristas here??

Postby Cardinal Queequeg on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:19 am

Is there anyone else whose grail is crema?

Who has plumbed the depths of microfoam?

My mistress is Miss Silvia.

Please respond!!

Cardinal Queequeg
In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
I look, you look, he looks, we look, ye look, they look.
Cardinal Queequeg
Holy Harpooneer

Postby Goat Starer on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:36 am

no but there are a few solicitors and a judge :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Best regards

Goat

--------------------------

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Rev. Iscariot on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:11 pm

Barista?

No, my parents were married.
Rev. Iscariot
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Pontius Pirate on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:20 am

I worked at a coffee shop for 2 years. Nothing like a good locally roasted, organic, fair trade maple latte.
When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.
Pontius Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:59 pm

If you ask for a latte in Italy, they'll give you a cup of hot milk, or so I've heard.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Re: Are there any Baristas here??

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah totally totally totally I'm like... SSSSSSOOOOOO caffeinated!

I've got a Gaggia Classic Coffee with a PID fitted, an Iberital MC2 auto grinder, I use a hand-made aluminium tamper, and a polished stainless milk jug with thermometer. I buy Italian-roasted beans from a local supplier.

On workdays, I usually only make a couple of small-but-evil double ristrettos for my wife and myself before we jump on the train to work. Any drink that makes you pull a whisky face but isn't whisky has to have something going for it.

At the weekends, I like to try a bit of alchemy with hot milk; chocolate; hazelnut syrup and all that. I've finally managed to get my lattes to stay separated! (It's all in the temperature of the milk, you know...)

Coffee is great for the digestion, especially after a big pasta meal, so should be considered at least devotional if not sacred IMHO.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:08 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks for that it's very interesting. I have been trying to get a good cup of coffee at home for years. It sounds like it could be worth me buying a coffee bean grinder to get really fresh coffee. I have two methods for making the coffee:

1. A French Press/cafetiere...which the article doesn't recommend but I find gives a good flavour.

2. Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Yeah, it is. If you're just making drip-style coffee, a blade grinder will suffice. If you really like your espressos/cappuccinos/etc, invest in a burr grinder.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Re:

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Rev. Iscariot wrote:Barista?

No, my parents were married.

:lol:
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby PKMKII on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Anyone who buys those wasteful k-cup coffee makers is an utter moron:

For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods. But that Nespresso capsule contains 5 grams of coffee, so it costs about $51 a pound. And the Folgers, with 8 grams per capsule, works out to more than $50 a pound.

Fifty bucks a pound for mediocre coffee!? You can get Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, arguably the best coffee in the world, for $35-$50 a pound. :whip: Reminds me of the title of that Dead Kennedys album, "Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death."

PKMKII

Postby Soniashope on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Yes!
I am one of those people who like convenience as well as flavor. Another thing I also like is not to make a mess every time I make coffee. So yes, I am willing to pay a little more for great coffee that comes in an already pree measured pod that I can drop into a gadget that attaches to a machine, and after flipping a knob the coffee or espresso comes out just right into my cup. If I want a latte I flip another knob and froth some milk to add to my coffee. A little flavored syrup (sugar free, of course) added and it is heaven! :haha:

Hey, my Espresso Italya machine does me proud in no time at all with no mess to clean up. :blush: :fsm_rock:
Soniashope
Conchigliette Convert

Postby PKMKII on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 am

...If it's pre-ground, it's not great coffee...

:whip:

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:58 am

Gotta grind it fresh, and if you want to get consistent crema and texture, it's gotta be a burr grinder to give you control of the grind fine-ness (if that's a proper word). Then you've got the water temperature (hence the PID in my machine) and the tamping pressure to perfect your espresso just the way you like it. Making a proper coffee isn't a convenience thing, it's an art. You want convenience? Use Nescafe.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 am

I don't like coffee. Can I have a choklit milkshake please? :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Next

Return to Food