Show your Desktop

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Show your Desktop

Postby DavidH on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 pm

^ :lol:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 am

Would you believe I have two monitors with two different desk top displays going at the same time...one is Spaghetti Westerns at the moment and the other is Hubble Images. I can't really have rude ones when I am in work.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Julius Aurora on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:14 pm

black bart wrote:Would you believe I have two monitors with two different desk top displays going at the same time...one is Spaghetti Westerns at the moment and the other is Hubble Images. I can't really have rude ones when I am in work.

When there is a will, there is a way. Well, so I've heard anyway.

Would you beleive my background is all black at the moment. Except for some little writing at the top right corner saying Safe Mode. Silly laptop.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
Julius Aurora
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Rainswept on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:06 pm

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby black bart on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:35 am

^ Arrrgh it reminds of thee dangers of Piracy:

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks to Roland for that...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:31 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Thanks to Roland for that...

Heheheh. No problem, Roy. My skills are pretty basic, but I do enjoy doing them. The eyes behind the sunglasses in that picture are the original ones, left in to protect the innocent subjects. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby muunleit on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:02 pm

clean and a little bit busy :fsm_rock:
Image Image
muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby gronank on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:26 pm

^it is a little disturbing that you keep nude pics of daftbeaker as background
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:17 pm

A little birdie wrote:^it is a little disturbing that you keep nude pics of daftbeaker as background

:lech:

Willcommen. Excellent background there, Muunleit. Entschuldigen Sie, but I take it you run Linux? Always meant to try it, but as a PC gamer I am loathe to completely trust compatibility programmes, for fear of having a game and no way to play it. How is Linux for games? Tschüss.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby gronank on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Linux is for people that thinks getting programs to run properly is more fun than actually use said programs whereas Windows is for people that has no intellectual integrity. You can have both with a dual boot.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:52 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:How is Linux for games? Tschüss.

Shite.

gronank wrote:Linux is for people that thinks getting programs to run properly is more fun than actually use said programs whereas Windows is for people that has no intellectual integrity. You can have both with a dual boot.

What ^ said. If you need to do text editing, spreadsheets and email Linux is awesome. If you want to run any proprietary software prepare for a long time shouting and screaming at emulators and WINE.

Like gronank said, your best bet is a dual boot. I did it at uni and it's amazing what having to reboot to play games does for increasing your productivity :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby gronank on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm

There is sort of an ongoing competition at school who can get the most awesome games running on the computers. My favorites are probably openTTD and starcraft2. Starcraft2 runs suprisingly well under wine, some say better than under native windows.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby muunleit on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:50 am

Roland Deschain wrote:How is Linux for games?

There are a lot of games, which run natively under linux (try some on a gamer-live-dvd) or with wine and I never knew how much free, very good software is available until I tried linux, but gronank and daftbeaker are right in saying nearly all games and proprietary software are made mainly for windows. On the other hand there are programs I miss if have to use someones windows-system.
You could install linux with windows as dualboot and try to find compareable programs for everything you need / use. At the moment I would recoment LinuxMint. Installing a linux-distribution isn't more difficult then windows -- you can get hard times to get something to work in both systems, but in general it will working out of the box.

But back to topic, I didn't recognize it's a nude pic of daftbeaker until gronank mentioned it. I changed it to something more matching the time of the year. pacman halloween. Sorry :blush:
muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks Munnleit et al, that answered my question for me. Now onto my desktop. I changed it for a picture of the wall in A Game of Thrones. Massive wall of ice with a wooden hand-operated elevator? Priceless. I thought i'd post a picture of my Start menu. It's a little clogged, but I think you'll get the impression of what I do in my spare alone time when you see it :lech:

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes