Disney - Evil or just pathetic?

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Disney - Evil or just pathetic?

Postby Cap'n Tedward on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 am

Okay, so, we [should] all know that the current modern concept of pirates is a Disney fabrication. The 50's version of Treasure Island is where all these extra RRs came from. Fine.

And now, having just completed watching all four of the PotCaribbean movies, I see they're trying to rewrite lore once again. Particularly, the third movie introduces pirate "royalty". It's CRAP! Yet another cultural stripmine. What's next? Blackbeard on ice? *shudder*

So what say ye? Should disney be keel hauled or just made to walk the plank? :whip:
@-->----
Cap'n Tedward
Pirates of the Red Swan
Cap'n Tedward
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Re: Disney - Evil or just pathetic?

Postby DavidH on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 am

First thing, we impose a pastwa.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:11 am

I say we go and pillage his body from its cryogenic storage, and ransom it for peetzer an chocklit milk, er, I mean rum and wenches.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Cap'n Tedward on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:52 pm

HArr like all those little damsels in their teeny-bop shows?
@-->----
Cap'n Tedward
Pirates of the Red Swan
Cap'n Tedward
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Cap'n Tedward wrote:HArr like all those little damsels in their teeny-bop shows?
You mean like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera? We'll let Tigger at Twisty have Justin Trousersnake, though...

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:19 pm

I don't blame Disney for changing our beloved Pirates, as it's their interpretation. Considering how they've interpreted many other things, it could have been a hell of a lot worse (I like the PotC movies). They tend to sanitise everything, not surprisingly, giving girls impossible idols to look up to, and changing history. Not until Shrek was it considered ok to not conform to the size 0 princess who's perfect in every way. Their princess stories were traditionally about young women giving up everything just to get with the prince.

Then you have to look at what they do to their child stars. Cases in point are Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Miley Cyrus. Incidentally, it was partially Britney's idea to market herself as a virginal 16 year old in a skimpy school uniform at the beginning of her, for want of a better word, singing career.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm

I think Disney and the POTC movies have done much for our cause, bringing people back into the fold of piracy. Yes, some bits in the movies get dumb, but we ignore them, don't we?

And for Disney movies, they are fairly... dark? That doesn't feel like the right word, but people die violently in those movies. You really don't get that too often. So considering that, I think we have more to thank the pirates for what they've done for Disney, rather than the other way around.

I do agree, though, that we need some better pirate movies out there.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I think Disney and the POTC movies have done much for our cause, bringing people back into the fold of piracy. Yes, some bits in the movies get dumb, but we ignore them, don't we?

And for Disney movies, they are fairly... dark? That doesn't feel like the right word, but people die violently in those movies. You really don't get that too often. So considering that, I think we have more to thank the pirates for what they've done for Disney, rather than the other way around.

I do agree, though, that we need some better pirate movies out there.

Aye matey I agrees loik...Aaaarrrrrgh!

If Disney made a real film about my Pirating loif style...no one would show it.

9am (also known as -9 bells): Woken by terrible snoring...oh...it be me!

9.30 am: Breakfast of Fish Head Stoo and Weevily biscuit

10am: Have to run to thee privvy just rememberin ta take me copy o this months 'wobbly wenches'.

12 Bells and alls not well pffffffftt. Leave privvy warnin me croo not to go in there for about a week.

12.30pm. Lunch (Fish Head Stoo surrprise).

1pm. Divvy out pillagin proceeds on thee deck...Captain gets first handful.

1.10 pm. Quell mutinee by offerin 'Madame Fifi' vouchers to all over 18 croo members.

2pm Knot tying lesson on the Quarterdeck

3pm Rum break

4pm Toim fer a well earned nap.

7pm Woken by terrible snorin...this toim it's thee hentire croo and the shyppe has been driftin for hours in fog. We're Doomed. Dooooomed...Dooooooooooomed...
Oh no...it's alright we're still hanchored up in Portsmouth Harbour!

It aint excitin...I challenge Disney to to come round and give me hentire croo lots of eye shaddow and nice hair without annoyin them.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Cap'n Tedward on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Umm, the idea that pirates add a lot of extra RRRs to their speak is also a Disney fabrication.

Robert Newton, one of the most popular actors of the mid-twentieth century, was born in Dorset in the West Country, but travelled to Hollywood to make films, including two in the early 1950s which have coloured our perception of pirates ever since. In Treasure Island (1950) and Blackbeard the Pirate (1952) Newton played Long John Silver and Edward Teach (Blackbeard) respectively, and since both men supposedly came from Bristol, Newton used his natural West Country accent for both parts. Both films were, and indeed still are, popular and the larger-than-life Newton has become forever after associated with pirates.

http://www.piratesinfo.com/cpi_pirate_m ... ds_944.asp
@-->----
Cap'n Tedward
Pirates of the Red Swan
Cap'n Tedward
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby DavidH on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:28 pm

^ Heresy! Prepare a bonfire.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby gronank on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:01 pm

black bart wrote:(also known as -9 bells)
How on earth can you strike a negative number of bells? On my boat, we strike e bells att that time. You're so silly, Gronank, you all think, you cant strike a non-integer number of bells, much less a trancendental number. Well, here's how we do it: First we strike one bell and then another, after that we strike half a bell, this is tricker but possible with a sturdy saw. When we're done with sawing the first bell in two and striking one of the halves we saw that half in three and strike one of those part too. And so we go on...
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Cap'n Tedward wrote:Umm, the idea that pirates add a lot of extra RRRs to their speak is also a Disney fabrication.

Yarr, everyone knows pirates have Brizzle accents. Gert lush :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am

Bloody cheek tis thee way I speaks normal and so it be aarrrrrgh!

I be hexpectin ta be called in as adviser to thee next Disney Film n all...not as make up adviser though. :paranoid:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Return to Pirate Discussion