DB's argument thread

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

DB's argument thread

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm

As some of you will be aware, I will soon be confined to my house (eg. not able to go more than 2 miles in any direction) and wanting an argument. Please submit any arguments for a god/gods here (in separate posts please, it makes it much easier to answer). Any answers must have some form of supporting evidence, 'I want it to be X' does not count. Happy hunting :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: DB's argument thread

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:47 pm

I completely refuse to engage in any sort of argument with you. You can't make me, so there, and that is the end of the matter.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 pm

YER MY BBEST, FFECKIN, MATE, YER KNOW,...KNOW WHET I'M SAYING YER,, YER OLD POOF? AH FECKIN LEHVE, FECKIN WHAT, WHO, POOVE FECK OFF, FECKIN BOO.

Edit - Go on Roy, yo know you want to. I'm going to have a week in the chopper so you might as well give me a brainteaser :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby gronank on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Considering Münchhausens Trilemma we have three alternatives of the structure of the arguments we can construct:
1: circular reasoning
2: reduction to axioms
3: infinite regression
DB doesn't like no 1 and isn't particulary fond of no 2 either. That leaves us with infinite regression. What we need to do is to create a infinite serie of statements such that each of them is true if the following statement is true and the first statement declares the existance of a god.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Go on then, Gronank. Betcha yer can't…  :moon:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm afraid that all my previous arguments for the existence of God were rendered null and void when I discovered/realised that they were based on experiences that had taken place wholly in my mind, and thus were (probably*) restricted to my brain.

In other words, I reluctantly had to admit to myself that all the experiences I had interpreted as spiritual/supernatural were more likely, on the balance of probabilities, to be hallucinations generated by oxygen-starved brain cells and rationalised after the fact under the influence of my religious and cultural upbringing.

They felt real at the time, though.

Edited to add: appropriate YouTube link from Qualia Soup.

*Probably: since it has not yet been proved that there is mind without matter, and it is impossible to prove that there isn't mind without matter, but because all research so far conducted has only discovered mind as an emergent property of living brains. That isn't to exclude the possibility of future research discovering mind in brainless life (such as jellyfish, plants and Tory MPs), or even non-life of sufficient complexity, or even as a property of non-matter; although the latter would seem impossible given what humans have discovered so far about the functioning of our universe.

Random arteries going into spasm at random times deprive the organs downstream of them of vital nutrients and, critically, of oxygen. In my heart they cause angina. In my guts they cause pain and digestive problems. In my brain they cause pain and/or hallucinations and/or paralysis of the part of the body usually controlled by the affected neurons.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby PKMKII on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 am

Regarding the existence of God, how is that all arguments greater than no consideration that does without complexity?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:01 am

PKMKII wrote:Regarding the existence of God, how is that all arguments greater than no consideration that does without complexity?

:confused: Could we have that in 'English For Old People' please? :idiot:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby black bart on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:57 am

I dispute the existence of DB.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: DB's Metal Undercarraige

Postby DavidH on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

I believe db exists although partly made of metal. :lol:

I'd like to oblige you, db, but I honestly can't think of one argument for god sensible enough to be worth your time.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:41 am

I'm still not arguing with him. He can't make me.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I'm still not arguing with him. He can't make me.

But we can make him. We have the technology!
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:58 pm

From George Takei on Facebook:

Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:56 pm

:worship:

daftbeaker

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 pm

rrrrr
lass pos
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ye pooperpantz ye tinkybum an nobuddy gunna gib ye gud stuff
fer yer burfdey an ye tinky alla tyme an an an .. nobuddy brung ye eny ize cweem an peetzer an ize cweeem an wootbeah an ginjer ale anlollys an gumdwopz an choclit an lottsa uddar stuff nananananananananarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:56 pm

daftbeaker wrote:As some of you will be aware, I will soon be confined to my house (eg. not able to go more than 2 miles in any direction) and wanting an argument. Please submit any arguments for a god/gods here (in separate posts please, it makes it much easier to answer). Any answers must have some form of supporting evidence, 'I want it to be X' does not count. Happy hunting :haha:

How do we know that DB is responsible for this challenging post?
How can we be certain that it wasn't a demon planting false evidence and implicating him?
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes