Name change on ordainment?

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Name change on ordainment?

Postby TDKs on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:49 pm

My partner and I are being ordained, but I wanted to know what to do when we get married - do I need to update my certificate, or is it perfectly applicable under my maiden name?

Also, I fancy screwing with my records at work - does the ordainment qualify me to change my title to "reverend" or anything? :D
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: Name change on ordainment?

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:17 am

TDKs wrote:My partner and I are being ordained, but I wanted to know what to do when we get married - do I need to update my certificate, or is it perfectly applicable under my maiden name?

I have no idea, so that would be up to you. If you wish to plan ahead, you could always get the ordainment under your potential married name, although i'm not sure on what that would do to the legality of the document. Other than that, if it turns out that it isn't applicable under your maiden name (although seeing as you are still going to be you, I can't see why it wouldn't), just get another in your married name. Or you could always wait.

TDKs wrote:Also, I fancy screwing with my records at work - does the ordainment qualify me to change my title to "reverend" or anything? :D

I can't see why not. Just because the CotFSM isn't as old as the rest, it doesn't negate its authenticity. Besides, it may be highly funny when people have to address you as "Reverend". :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Re: Name change on ordainment?

Postby TDKs on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm

I've done some looking into it and I would have to be a minister. A reverend earns the title and usually has a high level of education - I'm concerned that it might be disrespectful to others beliefs if I should be named "reverend".

Unless of course the prophet should choose to bestow upon his followers - it isn't a title, but rather a style, and it is not exclusive to the Christian faith either. (Buddhists and other religious groups use the term in the sane context.)

I would appreciate guidance on this delicate topic though. :fsm_float:
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Return to Scripture and Lore