Cult Classics

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Cult Classics

Postby ChowMein on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Strange Brew , i thought only us Canucks enjoyed that one .
On of my favorite films is Dark City .It was savaged by most critics at the time of release and failed to realize a profit ,I always wondered why , I loved it . I thought it had a fine cast that included Keifer Sutherland , jennifer Connally (sp?) and Will Hurt .
How about The Dark Crystal,Is that a cult flick?
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby PantyGnawer on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:05 am

Any one seen "The Living Wake"? It's too new to be a cult classic but should I ever start a cult my peons will be forced to watch it and reenact it daily. Come to think of it, it might form the basis of a good cult.

But seriously, I discovered it a couple of months ago on netflix and I've watched it at least six or seven times since. It is hilarious!

Here is an overview:
Artist K. Roth Birnew (Mike O’Connell) is dying of a vague, grave disease that is almost as grave in it’s vagueness as it is vague in it’s graveness. He spends his last day with his man servant, Mills (Jesse Eisenberg) planning his wake, tying up all the relationships in his life, and trying to find the meaning of life which according to his father is a brief but powerful monologue. A black comedy with intensely brilliant dialogue.

K. Roth Birnew wrote:"I drink to bring myself down to the level of the common man. But remember: the common man drinks, so I must drink twice as much! "

They cook a goat for lunch:
K. Roth Birnew wrote:The goat has been dispatched and the gods on Olympus will be pleased

Later he learns of Christianity and the fact that he was already baptized:
K. Roth Birnew wrote:You mean that robed man who tried to drown me!

Upon learning that he already is a Christian:
K. Roth Birnew wrote:I feel terrible about that goat!

A total MUST SEE!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PantyGnawer on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:15 am

Ha ha! I happened upon the trailer I'd never seen and it said "A guaranteed future cult classic"! I am vindicated before I even had to start my cult!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9T8nGX_oE&feature=related
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks for that tip, PG! I put it in my queue. It looks brilliant.

"Mystery Science Theatre 3000" No cult classic collection could be complete without mentioning the long-running TV show from Minnesota that showcases (and roasts) all manner of b-flicks and lesser cult films. MST3k's irreverent and insightful humor has made it a cult classic unto itself. I use this show to keep me from getting too much... me.
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:38 pm

^ I loved MST3K! :love:
Crow T Robot wrote:I forget who did what here. I say, "Shoot the picture! Let God sort it out."
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby PKMKII on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Crow T. Robot wrote:Hey, it's Julie Andrews, and she's on fire!

Tom Servo wrote:Good....
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:07 pm

To ChowMein, regarding Strange Brew:

The MacKenzie brothers were a big hit at least in northern USA (sometimes aka South Canadia). As I'm originally from northern Michigan (if not quite a true Yooper), I share more, culturally, with Canadians than with the bulk of USA.

As I heard it, the MacKenzies' "Great White North" segments on SCTV (which inspired the movie) were originally created to show in the states, where the show had a slightly longer running time than in Canada, due to programming or commercial break factors. It was like a bond for us S.Cans to our comrades also in the great northern forest, just across the silly line in the map or just over the big waters. Although I have spent many years in "the semi-dixie south" as I consider central Illinois, it still only takes a nostalgic thought or a moment of hearing a northern accent to break my flat-pan midwest affectations and put me back into my old accent, don'cha know? I met a guy from Detroit who categorized me as "probably a Bay City guy" in 2 minutes without knowing anything else about me. I'm seriously considering moving to Marquette in the Yoop in upcoming years, or even over to your side of the line. I'll always be a foreigner down here.

Of course, this all brings up "Canadian Bacon," another culty borderline flick from essentially the same crew.

There's cult classic in more than movies. It's also in beer and ice fishing, yah? :)
For anyone who didn't like the digression, I'm: Sourrey!
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:59 am

This Is Spinal Tap , oi sawr it yeers an decades afore most ove me mateys .

To this day , sum ove me mateys still believe Roy Reiners' "mockumentary" to be a troo and accurit account ove a rock and roll band .
Oi recall many a toime throut late last centoury and into this one , whist lazily channel surfing and stumbling upon TISP .

Well me dearys , thee crys ove outrage ! Thee virylint critysizm thrown about had me busting a gut .

" har har har , easy mates , these guys are a joke ".
"YA ! Theyer a joke aright , a f****** @$!&@# ! "
" oi hatem "
" they be odouriferous "
" how duz a @#$%&! band loike that still manages toors is beyond me ... "

Nonono mateys , it be a satire , a parody , this is a comedy , its funny .

"No , its not funny when some fine artists don't get thee recognition they deserve ! "
" This band is crappy "
" oi hate em "

Nonono , mateys , fictional , this is not an actual band , granted this is a live taping , but that guy was Lenny ,thee three ove em were on Satarday Nite Loive , those guys are actors an...

" Oi don't care what they are they stink ! "
" Oi hates em ! "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried .

Ironic that they can be considered a " legitimate " band now , reminds me of Kiss and Twisted Sister .
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:53 am

I think it was Tom Waits who said that he can't watch This Is Spinal Tap, because if you've never been in a band it all looks completely ridiculous and unbelievable, but if you have been in a band it is all too painfully true. I can watch the movie, but I have to agree with Tom's assessment otherwise.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:43 am

Dark City, The Dark Crystal, This is Spinal Tap, and Canadian Bacon are great films. On Dark City, I love that film, and have watched it many times. I'll have to look up the others on this page some time, as i'm always on the lookout for decent films.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ChowMein on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:36 am

Arkaeon wrote:To ChowMein, regarding Strange Brew:

The MacKenzie brothers were a big hit at least in northern USA (sometimes aka South Canadia). As I'm originally from northern Michigan (if not quite a true Yooper), I share more, culturally, with Canadians than with the bulk of USA.

As I heard it, the MacKenzies' "Great White North" segments on SCTV (which inspired the movie) were originally created to show in the states, where the show had a slightly longer running time than in Canada, due to programming or commercial break factors. It was like a bond for us S.Cans to our comrades also in the great northern forest, just across the silly line in the map or just over the big waters. Although I have spent many years in "the semi-dixie south" as I consider central Illinois, it still only takes a nostalgic thought or a moment of hearing a northern accent to break my flat-pan midwest affectations and put me back into my old accent, don'cha know? I met a guy from Detroit who categorized me as "probably a Bay City guy" in 2 minutes without knowing anything else about me. I'm seriously considering moving to Marquette in the Yoop in Auntie ,
upcoming years, or even over to your side of the line. I'll always be a foreigner down here.Of course, this all brings up "Canadian Bacon," another culty borderline flick from essentially the same crew.

There's cult classic in more than movies. It's also in beer and ice fishing, yah? :)
For anyone who didn't like the digression, I'm: Sourrey!

On my first visit to Florida I was surprised that everyone believed that I hailed from Michigan . That's a sizable piece of Michigan up here in Canada , impressive actually . Apparently I have an accent or maybe it's my speech patterns that mark me , i dunno . I thought I sounded like everyone else milling about .

BTW , Yoo hoo , Auntie !
That's "Rob" Reiner , not Roy .
Rob / Roy , I know who you were referring to .
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:52 am

No deery , Auntie has it roight , it's Rob Reiner .
Now go back to sleep afore oi deside to add ye to me cat o' nines.
Heavy Metal anyone ?
How about Warlock?
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby la la on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Enjoyed reading through this thread, and now I have a few movies to try to get hold of so I can see what the fuss is about. So glad to see Rocky Horror mentioned so often, and Little Shop of Horrors is one of my favourites. Does Mirrormask count as a cult classic? I sure hope so. Glaring omission of John Hughes films though - The Breakfast Club remains my all-time-favourite coming-of-age movie, but I also love Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo's Fire, etc.
And what about anything ever directed by Tim Burton? Beetlejuice surely must be a cult classic!
And does The Shawshank Redemption count as a cult classic? What about The Shining?
"There's a hell of a good universe next door, let's go!" e e cummings

"And the new day was a great big fish." Terry Pratchett

"WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?" Terry Pratchett (yes again, I'm afraid. He's my absolute favourite author)
la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors