What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby PKMKII on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 am

Shame

Michael Fassbender has lots of depressing sex, is incapable of dealing with emotional vulnerability.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukbqr5gS ... e=youtu.be

Not a movie, but a short flip book animation from Japan. I just didn't know where to put it. Touching, but sad. Ashley sent it to me.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 pm

How dare you make me cry?!
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby PKMKII on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:42 am

The Hunger Games

What I liked:
The reality TV angle worked well. Especially the degradation of something that was set to mark a tragic period, and the deadly repercussions of it, into cheap entertainment and pseudo-celebrity.
The relationship and interaction of Katniss and Peter was good.

What I didn't like:
Like so much future-dystopia fiction, the world and scenario just didn't make sense. We're supposed to believe the Capital has this iron-tight grip on the Districts, yet they can't even maintain an electric fence? And they've got future tech like ultra-fast bullet trains and hovering police force ships, but they're still dependent on coal?
Every other tribute was undeveloped.
The Capital denizens were unbelievable. A little too extreme in the decadency and lackadaisical nature. Plus, wouldn't there have been at least an inkling of a protest movement within the Capital? History is full of examples of the privileged taking up the cause of the proletariat. Maybe the book fleshes some of this out more.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:39 am

Aren't there three books in the series? If so, I imagine it does flesh it out more. Maybe the coal is used for something else other than fuel, or used exclusively in the poorer, more rural districts. I enjoyed the film, personally, and thought it was well done, but there is definitely a whole sub-plot missing somewhere, as are some explanations. As for no rebellion in the capital, that's fairly believable. You just need to look at dictatorships in our own history to see that they are not necessarily as overt as one would want them to be. You could also look upon the mentors for the poorer districts as being rebels of a sort, by wanting their charges to win. Public opinion also swayed the end result, hinting that maybe, just maybe, the richer populace aren't as blind to what goes on as you would think.

I watched Critters, Critters 2, Thor, The Hunger Games, Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man 2, and John Carter recently. Not wanting to go into too much detail on each of them here, i'll say that the Critters films were great, corny, and awesomely dated, and reminded me of the time I first saw them way back when they first came out on VHS. The Marvel comic book films were superb, interweaving a common thread throughout them all, and coming together in The Avengers. I thoroughly enjoyed them all. John Carter was a nice adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' book, and although it was fairly fantastical and unbelievable due to what we now know about the red planet, it was some decent escapism for a couple of hours.

All in all a great haul of films in the past few weeks.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 am

Yeah as Roland said remember it is part one of a trilogy. They culled a lot of the 'pre-games selection' character development from the book. The Games are meant as a victory tribute / reminded threat of repercussion after a failed Districts uprising against the Capital some 80yrs previous.
What I didn't like:
Like so much future-dystopia fiction, the world and scenario just didn't make sense. We're supposed to believe the Capital has this iron-tight grip on the Districts, yet they can't even maintain an electric fence? And they've got future tech like ultra-fast bullet trains and hovering police force ships, but they're still dependent on coal?

You'll have to read the next two books which do reasonably answer those questions... or wait for the sequels.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby gronank on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Angels and demons
I don't think I quite understand the moral of the story
Yes, self delusion may cause terrorism, but it also has merit... Yes, it does!?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:37 pm

gronank wrote:Angels and demons
I don't think I quite understand the moral of the story
Yes, self delusion may cause terrorism, but it also has merit... Yes, it does!?

I've not seen the film, and it's been a while since I read the book, so I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading into it that what one person sees as an affirmation of their faith, another sees as an abomination, and that there is good and bad in all things.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 am

Just found a great podcast about movies: "The Empire Podcast". Interviews with directors of the latest films etc.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm

A Separation

Iranian filmmakers are great at subtext and symbolism due to necessity. Direct criticisms of religion and the state won't get past the censors, so they make characters and scenarios symbolic of them.

PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm

^ I may have to give that one a go if I can find it. I'm surprised the Iranian government haven't figured that one out by now.

Watched The Blob earlier on, the remake from the 80s. It was just as tacky as I remember it, and all the better for it.

Just watched The Lovely Bones. OMFSM, what a sad and amazing film. So beautiful; so well acted; so well directed; just wonderful, yet at the same time hooking you deep in your gut. I won't spoil it, but the scene near the end with the bed was so beautiful.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:11 am

Seen wiff thee bed!?

Juss wot kinda luverly bonz ye talkin bowt ?
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby PKMKII on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:^ I may have to give that one a go if I can find it. I'm surprised the Iranian government haven't figured that one out by now.

If they were capable of getting subtext, metaphors, and symbolism, they wouldn't be literal fundamentalists, now would they?

PKMKII

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 pm

PKMKII wrote:
Roland Deschain wrote:^ I may have to give that one a go if I can find it. I'm surprised the Iranian government haven't figured that one out by now.

If they were capable of getting subtext, metaphors, and symbolism, they wouldn't be literal fundamentalists, now would they?

Fair comment there. Sometimes I have to remember not everyone is capable of reading between the lines. :haha:

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Seen wiff thee bed!?

Juss wot kinda luverly bonz ye talkin bowt ?

If ye really want to know, i'll explain a little below, but you'll need to hit the quote button to read it, as it contains potential spoilers!

The film's about a child murderer, and the title of the film is a metaphor for what builds up around the death of a child. The scene on the bed isn't sexual, but it does involve the young actress kissing the boy she had a crush on from beyond the grave.

If you don't want to read the spoiler, or can't be bothered to click the quote button, I highly recommend the film.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Fank ye .

Av ye seen Wings Of Desire ?
I never got around to it . First i have to find it .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors