What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 pm

^ Not a bad film; I think I still prefer it to the Nicholas Cage remake.

The follow-up, Far Away, So Close, is a little more difficult to find.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm

follow up film ? Reel lee ?
Fank ye lassy !
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby la la on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:31 am

Roland Deschain wrote: Just watched The Lovely Bones....

I enjoyed the movie very much too, and the imagery was really superb, just what I pictured while reading the book. One of the few occassions when I didn't think the book was automatically better than the movie, because the book and the movie are both lovely in their own right and each has it's own dimension of beauty - different in some ways, and yet the same in some ways. Really well done, in my opinion.

I watched Paul a couple of days ago, and I actually really enjoyed it. I started off watching it just for Simon Pegg, because I can't resist Simon Pegg, but it was actually quite a lot of fun. Nick Frost is great in it too, and I find I like Seth Rogen a lot more as an alien. I think he'd be a better actor if he actually was an alien.
"There's a hell of a good universe next door, let's go!" e e cummings

"And the new day was a great big fish." Terry Pratchett

"WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?" Terry Pratchett (yes again, I'm afraid. He's my absolute favourite author)
la la
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:05 am

I quite enjoyed 'The Incredible Hulk'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 am

Watched the premier film about the upstanding Scottish character, Trainspotting.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:19 am

PKMKII wrote:Watched the premier film about the upstanding Scottish character, Trainspotting.

As an antidote to that view of Scotland (good though it is) I recommend 'Local Hero'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:45 pm

I wouldn't mind viewing The Full Monty again . I thought it was a riot .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Finally saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
I'm ambivalent about it, I think.
pieces o'nine

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:08 pm

This one or this one?

I loved the books, but I haven't seen either film.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby pieces o'nine on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:19 pm

This one
It's in rotation on one of the murkan cable channels.

Does Daniel Craig play any roles in which he is not captured and horribly beaten up?
What, if anything, does this say about his psyche?

:haha:
pieces o'nine

Postby Ravi Oli on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:09 pm

The Expendables 2... a group of old action stars try a last earner off their fading pulling power. Worried they may not carry the movie on their own, they enlist the help of some more current action heroes. Onset of senility sees them pinching each other's alter-ego-super-hero character's lines and hardy-har-har references to movies from their hay-days, possibly to remind themselves and the audience who they are. As usual, brute firepower and inacurate aim from the enemy gets them through to the paycheque.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 am

'Attack the Block'...brilliant.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Skyfall.

Very good for the most part, bad in small parts, slightly wrong in other small parts.

First up: Daniel Craig, Judi Dench and Javier Bardem are all proper actors. Put any two of them in a room with a decent script and the proper lighting and you get a real properly acted scene. There are a few of those. Javier Bardem is a great Bond villain, and I still maintain that Daniel Craig and Judi Dench are brilliant as Bond and M: the history, the friction, the affection, it's all there. Motorbike chase over rooftops? - check. Exploding tube trains (and MI6 headquarters)? - check. Big set piece at the end? They blew up part of the set of Harry Potter* - question mark.

It's the 50th anniversary of Dr. No, so there were a lot of retrospective jokes about "is it time to take a desk job?", "the world of espionage is so hi-tech today, I can do more damage with my laptop in ten minutes than you can do with your gun in an hour", that sort of thing. A couple of references would have been enough, it dragged on far too much and got in the way of the story. The original Aston Martin DB5 made an appearance. Oh, baby...

I think Sam Mendes was trying to remake Moonraker or Live and Let Die, one of the big Roger Moore epics. That is not the Bond that Daniel Craig is: he's an actor, a Bond who uses his fists, who can get injured, who has his loyalties tested and his reputation besmirched and has to recover them. That is where a Daniel Craig Bond movie should be pitched, not "Hey! Let's blow some more shit up! It will cover up the lack of acting! Or Story!"

Naomie Harris is the new Moneypenny. She is spot on, and the back-story fits with the flirting and the history. She gives Bond a shave: this scene is more genuinely sensual than any in-the-sack scene in any Bond movie. Seriously. Also, she's a babe - schu-wing!!!

Bérénice Marlohe as Sévérine on the other hand... She looks like she got dressed in the dark and got me to put her make-up on. When I was drunk. She does not develop as a character, and then she dies in a haphazard and meaningless manner. That's back to the '70's mysogynistic attitude that Bond movies used to have. Kill her like you mean it, if you have to kill her.

Overall, I liked it, but I suspect Barbara Broccoli lacks the instincts that her dad had in spades. He really knew what he wanted from a Bond movie - I think she's thinking too much about legacy and maintaining the brand, and not enough about reinventing the brand and making the best movies she could.

*spoiler alert! Skyfall is the name of the house in the middle of Glencoe in the Scottish Highlands where Bond's parents lived and where he grew up until he was orphaned. The big set piece was blowing it up / burning it down. This was actually presented in a fairly realistic and not completely fantastical way. While I applaud that, does realism really belong in a Bond Movie?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Marley & Me.

Oh, FFS, it's only a movie. There's no reason to cry like a child over it.

Excuse me, gotta go now.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:16 am

^Agree in the main with Roy about Skyfall, I saw it on Monday night.

You forgot to mention the new Q played by Ben Whishaw (one of my favourite actors of the year) which I thought was one of the highlights of the film. Ben played Q like a character straight out of the 'IT crowd'.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors