Curry

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Curry

Postby Calico Jack on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 am

Chicken????

Jack loves chicken!!! :love:

ACK!
Jack got all yer wemmin!!!!
Who Jack pay???
Calico Jack
Stele Second Mate

Postby Ravi Oli on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Asian cooking usually uses Coconut Milk / Cream... not dairy based products.
Daft you probably curdled your yogurt because as TS suggested you had the pot on the boil. Should be added to a simmering mixture. Try Coconut milk... handy if lactose intolerent.

Jack loves chicken!!!

Jack lusts chicken!
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Coconut milk is very high in fat. Yoghurt is more waist-friendly.

Yoghurt is usually served as a side dish to cool a curry. Raita is always a good option.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Ravi Oli on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Yoghurt is usually served as a side dish to cool a curry. Raita is always a good option.

That may be so for Indian cuisine which you Poms [and Scots] would be more familiar with... dairy and wheaten breads pretty much unheard of in Asian cuisine. eg Thai Green Curry
My missus is Dutch-Indonesian [more Indo than Dutch]... before we met, other than 'meat and three vege', spaghetti bog and the occassional 'Chinese Takeaway' were my best venture into International Cuisine! And her dad thought hot food would deter a 'damn Aussie'... we both were glad it didn't work! :smile:
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:03 am

Worldwide "hot" food makes me wonder what all these cultures really ate before the chili pepper was introduced from central/south america -- talk about a plant that conquered the world!
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby TwistedSister on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Arkaeon wrote:Worldwide "hot" food makes me wonder what all these cultures really ate before the chili pepper was introduced from central/south america -- talk about a plant that conquered the world!

Not to mention it's impact on the toilet paper industry!
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Arkaeon on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:07 am

Eeeewww... impact!
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 am

I had a Thai Banquet on Sunday...washed down with Singha beer. :love:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Lamb curry in the slow cooker worked really well :love: It needs a bit less time cooking though, the lamb was a bit squishy. Maybe browning the meat first and slow cooking for a shorter time would be better. I shall experiment (as soon as I've finished cleaning the damn thing) :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 pm

This is mainly for Cardinal Fang but if anyone else knows please chip in.

When doing a curry in a slow cooker is it better to fry the onions/peppers/chilli powder first and then stick that in the slow cooker or just slow cook it all from the start? Last time I tried it the onions were cooked but didn't taste like usual, does it just need a bit more time for them to get properly soft? :confused:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 pm

I tend to slice and dice everything the night before and stick it in the fridge, then in the morning put the pot into the slow cooker and press go - no precooking of anything.

I know most recipes say pre cook onions and stuff. However as my cooker is on for 10 hours or so, and I slice thinly, they do tend to do pretty well without it. However ultimately it depends on your taste.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 am

This is all making me v hungry...and I just had lunch.

Did an unusual version of a Goulash yesterday with Beef Sausage, Choriso, Paprika, Chilli, Red Pepper, Onions and Sour Cream.

My wife has a poorly tummy this morning though. :paranoid:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Made a chicken biryani tonight. I put in the usual amount of chilli powder and the usual number of chilli peppers that I put in a regular curry, and it just about burnt my face off. I have no idea why.

It was very nice, though.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 am

We bought a jar of the above stuff and we found you have to be very sparing with it...it seems to have been made from the hottest chilli peppers known to man which have then gone through some sort of nuclear fusion in the heart of the sun.

Also I grew a couple of hot chilli plants this year which have produced very small red chilli peppers in great abundance...but they are vicious little buggers...I have given most of them away!
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:16 am

I am a bit worried that I may be becoming a curry addict.

Thursday night I had a chicken balti. Friday night I had a lamb rogan josh with channa masala. Last night I had a chicken biryani (which ended up ferociously hot again - need to cut back on the chillis, I think).

I've really got a hankering for another curry tonight...
Roy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Food