What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby gronank on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 pm

black bart wrote:You forgot to mention the new Q played by Ben Whishaw (one of my favourite actors of the year) which I thought was one of the highlights of the film.

They never considered John de Lancie for the role of Q?
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I don't know if you're being serious or not due to lack of emoticon, so I'll say they're talking about James Bond Q, not Star Trek Q. :haha:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:00 pm

If you're looking for a good film to watch, i'd recommend Cockneys vs Zombies. It has Brick Top from Snatch in it, and my friend is an extra. As a zombie, he meets an unfortunate end through decapitation by spade. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Seen it on recommendation from an internet mate. Oh wait - wonder if he being a Cockney had sommat to do with it? :haha:
Very tongue-in-cheek and apparently real Cockneys are pretty rare there-abouts these days. Another primative tribe succumbs to urban renewal... :whistle:
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PKMKII on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Bernie

It's the best performance I've seen by Jack Black. In most of his films, he's doing a completely over-the-top character. Here though, he plays right on that edge. If it was just a tad weirder, a bit more goofy, his performance would have been unbelievable. But it's at that sweet spot where it's funny while still feeling like he's playing a real person.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 am

The Hobbit.

I didn't have high expectations and perhaps that's why I really enjoyed it...in 3D!

I am always on the edge of laughing at the Tolkien stuff, after all it's completely ridiculous, but I think the film has a good bash at the story. Martin Freeman makes a great Bilbo Baggins.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ravi Oli on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:48 pm

^ I didn't realize they were serializing it. Not too bad. I got the book for my birthday last year. Been 40yrs since I read it so might do a refresher.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am

Ravi Oli wrote:^ I didn't realize they were serializing it. Not too bad. I got the book for my birthday last year. Been 40yrs since I read it so might do a refresher.

I read it to my daughter recently...it makes you chuckle. The film did a good job of the Troll scene which is one of the funniest bits of the book.

Just seen a proper film though:

Abbott and Costello meet Captain Kidd...with Charles Lawton as Captain Kidd!

Aaaaarrrgh!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby gronank on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Book of Eli
I might miss something about the moral of this story. To me it sound like "well, faith might be a tool for controlling the weak of mind and the general consensus is that it was direct cause of the apocalypse (seriously, in a society that has broken down to the degree that the literate adults wont even bother to educate the young, everyone universally and independantly agrees that bibles should be destroyed, that is quite a consensus), BUT it is still good because, well, you get go on a perilous quest that get a bunch of people killed", is that about right?.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Ashley and I watched "Lili" today. It was pleasant I suppose, but it was very fluffy, no real substance to it.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I finally saw 'Up', it was on the BBC. I was a bit worried, having heard from several people that the first five minutes would make anyone cry. I sat there not being moved much (well, it was blindingly obvious what was going to happen) but the bit that did make me sad was about three quarters of the way through when Carl opens Ellie's adventure book and realises she's filled it with their life together

Good film.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:09 pm

I saw the Hobbit.

One part CGI, one part epic filmography, one part GQ: Middle Earth Dwarves edition, one part cartoon dwarves come to life.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Same here. Never really pictured the bloke who married the Vicar of Dibley as Thorin... but oh well. Did a goodish job.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 am

Life of Pi.

I've read some fairly scathing reviews of it, but I loved it. I suspect that the reviewers had not read the book first. If you read the book first, you realise the story is a bit screwy and you won't expect the movie to make sense*. The story still doesn't make sense, but the visuals are just stunning, and the production values, the pacing, everything. So I reckon if you read the book and liked it, you'll like the movie.

*I know the story makes sense as a post-traumatic confabulation / heat-, starvation- and thirst-induced hallucination, but as a linear "he said, she said, shootout, car chase, good guy gets girl, bad guy goes to jail" movie plot? No, it doesn't.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Life of Pi.

I've read some fairly scathing reviews of it, but I loved it. I suspect that the reviewers had not read the book first. If you read the book first, you realise the story is a bit screwy and you won't expect the movie to make sense*. The story still doesn't make sense, but the visuals are just stunning, and the production values, the pacing, everything. So I reckon if you read the book and liked it, you'll like the movie.

*I know the story makes sense as a post-traumatic confabulation / heat-, starvation- and thirst-induced hallucination, but as a linear "he said, she said, shootout, car chase, good guy gets girl, bad guy goes to jail" movie plot? No, it doesn't.

—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors