Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:55 am

Clive Dunn...Corporal Jones from the Greatest British Comedy show of all time: Dad's Army. He was 92.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 am

Larry Hagman, 81, cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, being old.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 am

What does "the Pied Piper of life" even mean? He magically siphoned souls out of the bodies of entire villages with the promise of entertainment, only to damn them to eternal hellfire? :idiot:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:What does "the Pied Piper of life" even mean? He magically siphoned souls out of the bodies of entire villages with the promise of entertainment, only to damn them to eternal hellfire? :idiot:

I don't know who you're referring to here, but maybe it's because he - whoever he is - always commanded a following in whatever he did.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:40 pm

I was referring to Larry Hagman. One of his costars called him "the Pied Piper of life" in that article Roy linked to.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 am

Film star Dinah Sheridan aged 92

She was best known for her roles as the mother in The Railway Children and the 1953 comedy Genevieve.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 pm

The first Mrs T. Just found out this morning from my former sister-in-law. No details known. Poor kid.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:The first Mrs T. Just found out this morning from my former sister-in-law. No details known. Poor kid.

Was she still young?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Dave Brubeck, legendary jazz pianist and composer, writer of such classics as "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk". 91. Heart Failure.

I remember the first time I heard "Take Five," it affected me so greatly that I fell off the couch I was laying on. I consider "Blue Rondo a la Turk" to be the greatest composition of the 20th century. He will be sorely missed.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:19 pm

black bart wrote:Was she still young?

54. She had progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) (Parkinsonian), died quietly in her sleep, probably from pneumonia.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:The first Mrs T. Just found out this morning from my former sister-in-law. No details known. Poor kid.

My condolences, ET.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 am

Yes condolences and today...

Dave Brubeck almost 92. He was an artist and a pioneer.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 am

May I extend my condolences towards the friends and family of two great people:-

The first is Sir Patrick Moore, pioneer astronomer who has graced our screens for the last 50-odd years in The Sky At Night. I'm sure the show will continue in his permanent absence, but it will be less without this wonderful and eccentric man. He died aged 89 after an illness, at his home.

The second is architect Oscar Niemeyer, who at 104, has passed away. He put so much effort into making Brazil what it is today, and was the mastermind behind so many of those buildings we love (or hate).

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 pm

He [Moore] built his own telescope in the garden of his Sussex home and began to observe the moon. The detailed maps of the moon's surface that he produced during this time were used by NASA as part of the preparations for the moon landing.
Now that is an obituary.

Queen guitarist Brian May, who published a book on astronomy written with Sir Patrick, described him as a "dear friend, and a kind of father figure to me".

Well, he was made of recycled stars, and now he will be recycled as something else, hopefully even more amazing.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 am

Roland Deschain wrote:The second is architect Oscar Niemeyer, who at 104, has passed away. He put so much effort into making Brazil what it is today, and was the mastermind behind so many of those buildings we love (or hate).

Wait--- Oscar Niemeyer? The hot dog guy?
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion