A slightly different cause, but still kinda piratey!

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

A slightly different cause, but still kinda piratey!

Postby TDKs on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Yahhharrr - I am an OFFICIAL CITIZEN of the High Seas! I'll be receivin' me passport soon ter prove it too, mates.

http://theterramarproject.org/about- raising awareness, transparency and responsibility for the oceans. Donations received help support education initiatives, technology, research and expeditions - these are young days for Terramar, and thanks to Richard Branson , I'm in from the beginning. :zen:

They'll soon be sending electronic and then physical passports, so claim yer patch, raise yer flag - become officially a citizen of the High Seas, just like a pirate should be. Mind you, it matters not whether ye be pirate or not; we all live on this same planet together, so let us protect it! :drinking:

(Heads up - the donate link doesn't work well in Chrome. It does still work in *shudders* Internet Explorer though.)

Geographic Coordinates: Lat: 53.5828040375 Long: -0.0929857030288
D/M/S: 53° 34' 58.09" N, 0° 5' 34.75" E

Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: A slightly different cause, but still kinda piratey!

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:01 pm

I wish I could sponsor the giant clams, but I have no money to give to anyone. :bummer:

I signed up for their mailing list though, and I love their colors, seal, and flag. If they were a sports team I'd probably support them for that reason. :idiot:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby TDKs on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:52 am

No worries, you don't have to pay anything to sign up to the cause and become a citizen - you only have to pay if you want to "friend a species" or "claim your patch".

After all, Terramar's primary objective is to spread knowledge, in the same way a bubbling pan spatters sauce all over your hobs. :)
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 am

But... But... GIANT CLAMS! :cry:

I love giant clams...
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby TDKs on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Perhaps you could ask for it for Chrifsmas?
After all, that's a pretty unique gift...
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:15 am

Aside from the account confirmation email, I haven't received one single newsletter from these people since I signed up. What exactly are they doing with all the money they're collecting, if they can't even shell out a little for a newsletter to tell their members what they're doing? That site says giant clams are endangered and shouldn't be collected or kept as pets, but the New England Aquarium has a PDF file on their site about the pros and cons of ornamental aquaculture, and it says,

New England Aquarium informational PDF wrote:Finally, aquaculture production of
ornamentals has many broad scale positive
impacts to species, and a number of species
have benefited from captive propagation. In
some cases, aquaculture production was so
successful that not only did the species
recover, but its recovery was to a point
where the species could be traded once
again in the ornamental fish pet industry.
The giant clam (Tridacna gigas) is one of the
few marine species for which this is true.

Good thing I didn't pay to become an "ambassador" for this species, because in doing so I would be promising not to encourage keeping them in captivity! It's GOOD for them for some of them to be kept in captivity! Not eating them, especially out of the wild, is one thing I can see, but I'm hoping I'll get to see one at the aquarium after they're done with their renovations, and now I know I don't have to feel guilty about it!

Not ONE email! :furious:
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Return to The Cause