What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Ravi Oli on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 pm

^ & ^^
Actually seen it twice, though the first was more a 'preview' which made me want to see it in all its 3D glory, especially the visuals Roy mentions. Not read the book but I thought it a bit Old Man and the Sea-ish in the storyline. Maybe you can take some spiritual or philosophical meaning from it but I think the movie is made to entertain. I was entertained. Only down side was being smacked by date for not warning her of the little 'surprises'. :haha:
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Life of Pi.

I've read some fairly scathing reviews of it, but I loved it. I suspect that the reviewers had not read the book first. If you read the book first, you realise the story is a bit screwy and you won't expect the movie to make sense*. The story still doesn't make sense, but the visuals are just stunning, and the production values, the pacing, everything. So I reckon if you read the book and liked it, you'll like the movie.

*I know the story makes sense as a post-traumatic confabulation / heat-, starvation- and thirst-induced hallucination, but as a linear "he said, she said, shootout, car chase, good guy gets girl, bad guy goes to jail" movie plot? No, it doesn't.

Saw it yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I haven't finished reading the book yet. It almost makes you WANT to be cast adrift on a life boat with a tiger in it. Although a better scenario would have been: shipwrecked with the mother and the girlfriend.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ravi Oli on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Django Unchained. Recommend. Has the unmistakable Tarantino watermark but much better movie than The Man With the Iron Fists I watched a few weeks back [Russell Crowe should shoot himself for that performance] Well cast as all deliver their roles. Quite long at nearly 3hrs but doesn't really drag anywhere.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I watched all but the first few minutes of "The Book of Eli" with my mother last night. It was a good movie.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 am

Ravi Oli wrote:Django Unchained. Recommend. Has the unmistakable Tarantino watermark but much better movie than The Man With the Iron Fists I watched a few weeks back [Russell Crowe should shoot himself for that performance] Well cast as all deliver their roles. Quite long at nearly 3hrs but doesn't really drag anywhere.

If it's a Western I'll watch it.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 am

Ravi Oli wrote:Django Unchained. Recommend. Has the unmistakable Tarantino watermark but much better movie than The Man With the Iron Fists I watched a few weeks back [Russell Crowe should shoot himself for that performance] Well cast as all deliver their roles. Quite long at nearly 3hrs but doesn't really drag anywhere.

Back in the day I worked with Mr. Crowes first cousin ... so I'm not saying anything .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Last night me and the missus went to a screening of Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo", with Kim Novak :lech: and James Stewart. Apparently it was recently voted the greatest film of all time by a large group of film critics. The film club guy who introduced it said that it was one of the first films that explored gender role reversal, but I'll be blasted if I saw it in there anywhere. I was surprised to see that it was in color - I thought I remembered it as a black-and-white film, but it's been at least 30 years since I last saw it, so maybe my memory has faded a bit. Kim Novak was lovely, but man, the horrible things they did with eyebrows back then. It looked like she had completely plucked her forehead bald, and painted on these huge skidmarks that might have been left by a hot rod peeling out of a parking lot. Too bad she died at the end. The other thing that's a little disconcerting about those old films is the way a couple can fall deeply in love after a three minute conversation. Seems legit.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 am

^
Talking of Hitchcock...

Some years ago, when Saul Bass was still alive, I went to see him give a lecture on Graphic Design. During the lecture Saul talked about his part in making "Psycho". Saul designed the magnificent titles for the film and also had a role in storyboarding some of the scenes. He and Hitchcock apparently clashed over the shower scene which Saul wanted to be completely bloodless. In the finished product Hitchcock had his way and you'll see a trickle of blood go down the plug hole.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:49 pm

So I finally saw Skyfall last night. I liked it.

Except I don't think Craig's 007 should be written as a 'geezer' just yet. :whistle:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:07 pm

We watched "The Lady Vanishes" last night, after drinking an entire bottle of homemade Shiraz, and a bit of a bottle of Cabernet-somethingorother besides. It was much funnier than I remember it being the last time I saw it.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:41 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:We watched "The Lady Vanishes" last night, after drinking an entire bottle of homemade Shiraz, and a bit of a bottle of Cabernet-somethingorother besides. It was much funnier than I remember it being the last time I saw it.

That's a wonderful film. Sadly I can't get my kids out of the "Oh it's Black and White" mentality.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:03 am

black bart wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:We watched "The Lady Vanishes" last night, after drinking an entire bottle of homemade Shiraz, and a bit of a bottle of Cabernet-somethingorother besides. It was much funnier than I remember it being the last time I saw it.

That's a wonderful film. Sadly I can't get my kids out of the "Oh it's Black and White" mentality.

Have them drink an entire bottle of homemade Shiraz.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
black bart wrote:

Have them drink an entire bottle of homemade Shiraz.

:haha:

Now I know why you live in a shed.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Helium Hands on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:55 am

I just saw The Hobbit for the second time, this time with my sister. I am still floored by how quickly three hours goes by.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:44 pm

I watched "Let It Be" in glorious ripped-roughly-from-a-VHS-tape-by-someone-called-Onyx video and sound quality. I also listened to the "Let It Be" album, period singles and B-sides, and stuff from those sessions on Anthology 3. I still have to listen to the early version of the song "Let It Be" and take 17 of "I Me Mine" because those MP3s were corrupted and I had to re-rip them, and I also want to listen to "Let It Be ...Naked" and "Fly On The Wall".
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors