What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:12 pm

I just noticed that list has The Way of Kings down at 71. No way. That book needs to be about 50 slots higher, at least. They also include the Codex Alera and not the Dresden Files? Someones smoking something.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 am

Rainswept wrote:Just finished the last book of Wheel of Time. Hard to believe it's finally done.

Trying to decide what to check out next, referencing the following for tips: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843 ... tasy-books

There are 3 in the top 15 that i have not read. Brave New world, American Gods, and Nueromancer. I'm leaning towards American Gods.

No Peter F. Hamilton on that list. I highly recommend the Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained duology, the Mindstar not-really-a-trilogy, and the incredible Reality Dysfunction/Neutronium Alchemist/Naked God trilogy. American Gods is next up on my list, as soon as I finish this Ludlum foolishness.

I think I have talked the librarian into acquiring A Memory of Light. Otherwise I'll have to wait another year for it to come out in paperback - I can't afford $35 or whatever for the hardbound version.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 am

Finished reading the Lovecraft books I have.

A few observations: His protagonists tend to be reflections of himself, and his fantasies and hangups: the poor traveler, yet an academic in the way he didn't end up being. I know he was very big into his genealogy and his pseudo-aristocratic background, and it constantly pops up in stories like The Shadow Over Innsmouth and Rats in the Wall. Except there's always an evil to the noble heritage. Perhaps a love/hate relationship with that past?

People always make a big deal about the cthulhu mythos, and the horrible monsters he came up with. But I realized that in stories like The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Picture in the House, and Beyond the Wall of Sleep, he established an archetype that would become standard in horror films: the evil redneck, often having tapped into malignant powers.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 am

Just for fun I am reading a vintage Sci Fi tale by Andrew North/Andre Norton:

Everyone has cool names like 'Dane Thorson' (he's the hero).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I think I have talked the librarian into acquiring A Memory of Light. Otherwise I'll have to wait another year for it to come out in paperback - I can't afford $35 or whatever for the hardbound version.

Audible.com. I pay $22 a month for pretty much any 2 audiobooks. That means I got Memory of Light directly to my phone on release day, well performed and unabridged at 41 hours 55 minutes, for $11.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Rainswept wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I think I have talked the librarian into acquiring A Memory of Light. Otherwise I'll have to wait another year for it to come out in paperback - I can't afford $35 or whatever for the hardbound version.

Audible.com. I pay $22 a month for pretty much any 2 audiobooks. That means I got Memory of Light directly to my phone on release day, well performed and unabridged at 41 hours 55 minutes, for $11.

Yeah, but to do that I'd have to get a phone.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Edd on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Still on my re-reading classic science fiction kick. Currently enveloped in James Tiptree Jr.'s Brightness Falls From The Air and Chip Delaney's Babel-17.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:44 am

Dane Thorson may have a cool name but he's a bit of a dick...he left his communicator off and his comrade got captured by aliens, probably shouting "Help, Dane, Dane...Help!"
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:52 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Rainswept wrote:

Yeah, but to do that I'd have to get a phone.

not at all. you can play them for free from your computer, or just get an mp3 player.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 am

Hmm. I'll have to think about it. We pride ourselves on our technical ineptitude. I do need to upgrade to a new laptop, though - this one bluescreens me out at least twice a week.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 am

I seriously doubt you'd need an upgrade. your built in windows media player and maybe 2 gb of memory would do fine. just need an mp3 player if you want portability. my favorite place to "read" now is on my bicycle.

started American Gods today
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:24 am

No, I need a new laptop regardless - I truly don't know if this one will start each time I shut it down. There have been occasions where I restarted over ten times in a row before it booted up properly. The hard drive is nearly full, it has more undeletable keyloggers and whatnot on it that I can count, it's nearly ten years old -- it has earned its rest. Just have to keep working on Mrs T to loosen the purse strings.

I started American Gods a couple of days ago. Very unusual. Excellent characters, some funny (ha ha, not hmm) stuff in there too.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 am

cool let me know how you like it, and i'll do the same
Rainswept

Postby Rainswept on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:07 am

I'm about halfway now, how's it coming, ET?
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 am

I'm about the same, Rain. I'm really enjoying the characters.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors