What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Helium Hands on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Bad Pharma, Ben Goldacre.

Oh my FSM! :shocked: I knew quite a lot of this stuff, but bits of it I did not know, and when you put all the pieces together it paints an even uglier picture of the pharmaceutical industry than I thought.

I worked in the Pharma industry for a number of years. It's...disconcerting.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:52 am

Selling drugs for a living is so ... unsavory.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm

I forgot to post last week when I finished American Gods. You done with it, ET?

Checking out Hunger Games now.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 pm

I got distracted and played guitar for a few nights instead of reading. Back into it again, I'll probably finish it tomorrow.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Finished Hunger Games. Considerably darker and creepier than the movie. Involves wholesale slaughter of kids by one another, including bringing the dead back to life as mind-controlled killer werewolves who slowly kill a kid over a day or so, but has no sex so it's O.K. for kids by US reckoning...
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:58 am

No sex?

<crosses Hunger Games off to-read list>
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Griffin on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:24 am

Finished Casual Vacancy. It gets better after page 400, just in time before it ends. Still, not a page turner. Unless you count turning 100 pages at a time. ;)
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am

Rainswept wrote:I forgot to post last week when I finished American Gods. You done with it, ET?

Checking out Hunger Games now.

Oh it turns out I have "American Gods" as well...I'll read that next.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:46 am

Finished "Catching Fire" starting "Mockingjay"
Rainswept

Postby Helium Hands on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Rainswept wrote:Finished "Catching Fire" starting "Mockingjay"

Let me know what you think of Mockingjay. I was rather disappointed with it, but you very well may not be.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Helium Hands wrote:
Rainswept wrote:Finished "Catching Fire" starting "Mockingjay"

Let me know what you think of Mockingjay. I was rather disappointed with it, but you very well may not be.

Well I'll be happier the sooner she picks a guy. I was not expecting a series long f'n twilight style decision. It always lowers my opinion of the heroine dramatically, and I like her otherwise.
Rainswept

Postby black bart on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:25 am

I think I'm going to like "neverwhere" because it's about the London Underground...I love the London Underground...it's a different world.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 am

Finished the 3rd Hunger Games book. Need something new. It was enjoyable, but almost morosely dark. Lots of dead and mentally damaged kids.

Like to get back into my favorite comfort zone of fantasy series', but I'm running out of good ones.

I once set out to read all the series in this book: Legends

Stephen King: "The Little Sisters of Eluria" (The Dark Tower) -Could never get past book one
Terry Goodkind: "Debt of Bones" (The Sword of Truth) -started out OK but i gave up around 7 or 8 books in
Orson Scott Card: "Grinning Man" (The Tales of Alvin Maker) -read the first 5 and meh.
Robert Silverberg: "The Seventh Shrine" (Majipoor) -Yet to try
Ursula K. Le Guin: "Dragonfly" (Earthsea) -read the trilogy as a kid, there are new ones now
Raymond E. Feist: "The Wood Boy" (The Riftwar Saga) -read a bunch, 6-7 at least
Terry Pratchett: "The Sea and Little Fishes" (Discworld) -Yet to try
George R. R. Martin: "The Hedge Knight" (A Song of Ice and Fire) -Amazing series, read all 5
Tad Williams: "The Burning Man" (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn) -Excellent trilogy, read all 3
Anne McCaffrey: "Runner of Pern" (Dragonriders of Pern) -Read 8 or 9 as a kid
Robert Jordan: "New Spring" (The Wheel of Time) -read all 15

I stalled out on Gardens of the Moon recently, I may try it again, but I'm also curious how good Majipoor and Discworld are. Discworld's been recommended to me alot, but usually described as humorous, and I cringe a little cause it sounds like Xanth which I did not particularly like. Any recommendations?
Rainswept

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 am

Damn my ADHD. I'm currently trying to read The God Delusion, some book on tea, and Kim by Rudyard Kipling. It's not working.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Helium Hands on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Rainswept wrote:I stalled out on Gardens of the Moon recently, I may try it again, but I'm also curious how good Majipoor and Discworld are. Discworld's been recommended to me alot, but usually described as humorous, and I cringe a little cause it sounds like Xanth which I did not particularly like. Any recommendations?

I love Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Absolutely epic, and doesn't get bogged down the way that The Wheel of Time did (for me). I highly recommend it.

Discworld is "like Xanth" in the same way that Monty Python's Flying Circus is like Joanie Loves Chachi. Yes, both of them are both comedic television shows, but one is clearly superior.
-Unattrib

-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors