What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:48 am

Rainswept wrote:Cause 6 novels is barely noticeable, right? =D

In a 6 book series, no. In a 39 book series where the 6 are basically setting the scene, yeah, kind of.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Rainswept on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:01 pm

I found one that sounds good to me, "The Lies of Locke Lamora"
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:02 pm

hi tyre two reed me famly n uvver anmils by Durald Gerrel

Es difficul, tho. Thairs a tyger call Richard in me lyfeboit.
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 am

Ugh. The Xanth books drove me crazy, I gave up after four or five of them. My ex-wife couldn't get enough of them though.
Finished Anansi Boys. I liked it to the end, even though I knew how it was going to end from about 1/3 of the way in. Very entertaining. Started in on Memory of Light this morning.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote: Started in on Memory of Light this morning.

The 1st 1/3 or so is really fun. That's where a lot of the story-lines FINALLY get wrapped up, the characters start seeing the big picture that the reader sees.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Griffin on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Biopsychosocial Medicine ~ Peter White

Which is a conspiracy to condemn everyone with unexplained illnesses as mentally ill. Engels has a lot to answer for.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Griffin wrote:Biopsychosocial Medicine ~ Peter White

Which is a conspiracy to condemn everyone with unexplained illnesses as mentally ill. Engels has a lot to answer for.
You should look at the revisions planned for DSM V: they plan on making ordinary grief a mental disorder, and they are introducing a category for 'behavioural addictions' like gambling and using Facebook (addictions to my mind need to have a physiological aspect, like alcohol or opiates). They are also lowering the threshold for the incidence of illnesses like depression.

It looks like we will have a whole load more medicalisation of normal human ups and downs.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:27 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Finished Anansi Boys. I liked it to the end, even though I knew how it was going to end from about 1/3 of the way in. Very entertaining.

ET, I was looking at the sequel to that anthology book Legends II, and I found I own a 50 page novella called "Monarch of the Glen" which picks up 2 years after American Gods, to see what happens next to Shadow.

Also, I didn't ask which version you read, but the Audiobook included some commentary by Gaiman and an extra scene he pulled from the book wherein Shadow meets and speaks with Jesus.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Rainswept wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Finished Anansi Boys. I liked it to the end, even though I knew how it was going to end from about 1/3 of the way in. Very entertaining.

ET, I was looking at the sequel to that anthology book Legends II, and I found I own a 50 page novella called "Monarch of the Glen" which picks up 2 years after American Gods, to see what happens next to Shadow.

Also, I didn't ask which version you read, but the Audiobook included some commentary by Gaiman and an extra scene he pulled from the book wherein Shadow meets and speaks with Jesus.

No contact with the prophet in the book I read, though I imagine there's an opportunity for some comedy there. There was a bit at the end from Monarch, just enough to whet your appetite for the next book. It does refer to it as a novella - 50 pages hardly seems worth a separate binding though.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 pm

ya, it's part of an anthology, as I linked. It's also in a later book of just Gaiman stuff.
Rainswept

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:22 am

duh. I probably should have clicked the link.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am

for what it's worth, I haven't read most of the 2nd one, but the first Legends is wonderful for finding things to read. Each novella is completely original, written for the anthology, but set in the major world of the writer.

The George Martin one is set in Game of Thrones World, years before, and the Robert Jordan novella went over so well he expanded it into a full prequel, New Spring. Terry Goodkind released his later as a stand alone, and IMO the one from Raymond Feist is better than most of his full novels.
Rainswept

Postby Griffin on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 am

Roy Hunter wrote:

You should look at the revisions planned for DSM V: they plan on making ordinary grief a mental disorder, and they are introducing a category for 'behavioural addictions' like gambling and using Facebook (addictions to my mind need to have a physiological aspect, like alcohol or opiates). They are also lowering the threshold for the incidence of illnesses like depression.

It looks like we will have a whole load more medicalisation of normal human ups and downs.

Yes, they've gone totally nuts. Another thing they have introduced is Somatic Syndrome Disorder - see here - so anyone with a serious biomedical illness may be diagnosed with SSD - get cancer and you are likely to be mentally ill etc. It's horrendous. There was a consultation period (I contributed) but they ignored what people said. If you saw any of the trials they did on their new diagnostics, the results were dreadful and amazing that they are going ahead regardless. It went to the printers last week. The rumour is that the APA is short of money so they are getting DSM-V out as quickly as possible.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Helium Hands on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Rainswept wrote:I found one that sounds good to me, "The Lies of Locke Lamora"

I thoroughly enjoyed that and its sequel, "Red Seas Under Red Skies." Excellent characters.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 am

Griffin wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:

Yes, they've gone totally nuts. Another thing they have introduced is Somatic Syndrome Disorder - see here - so anyone with a serious biomedical illness may be diagnosed with SSD - get cancer and you are likely to be mentally ill etc. It's horrendous. There was a consultation period (I contributed) but they ignored what people said. If you saw any of the trials they did on their new diagnostics, the results were dreadful and amazing that they are going ahead regardless. It went to the printers last week. The rumour is that the APA is short of money so they are getting DSM-V out as quickly as possible.

So what you're saying is that, in your estimation, introducing new and unnecessary categories of mental disorders is a diagnosable mental disorder?
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors