Logic, IQ, and Lateral Thinking Problems.

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Logic, IQ, and Lateral Thinking Problems.

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Re: revolvers and bullets, I would like you all to imagine a Frankenstein scene with me cackling madly and screaming "It's alive!" :evilgrin:

Roy Hunter wrote:
Rainswept wrote:This one seemed really obvious to me. I read it 3 times just to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.
It seemed really obvious to me too. But I have heard it argued through several times by people who don't get thermodynamics, and apparently it is counterintuitive: they seem to think the milkless tea will stay hotter because it starts hotter.

I did get the right answer, even if I thought you were asking which cup would be coldest. 3 years of telling people to read the exam question properly apparently still hasn't sunk into my head :blush:

I'm still trying to think of a way to be a smartarse and break it though, are you allowed to cover or insulate these cups?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:31 pm

daftbeaker wrote: I'm still trying to think of a way to be a smartarse and break it though, are you allowed to cover or insulate these cups?
You could point a hairdryer at one of the cups? Put one of the cups in a cold draught? Steal a missile defence shield microwave ray gun and warm up one of the cups from outside the kitchen window?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 pm

NO NO NO We are not restarting the revolver discussion.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:39 am

It's too late, Rain.

Run away, run away! Save yourself.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby DavidH on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 am

Here's one a bit like the tea question.

In winter, every time I flush my old-fashioned toilet cistern, 2 gallons of water leaves the house and 2 gallons of colder water flows in. If the toilet isn't flushed for a while, it may have reached 20° C and the cold water coming in may be as low as 5° C. Water waste doesn't cost me money as we pay a flat rate, but heating it up and then losing it will add to my heating bill.

Will I save money by sitting on the bog all day and flushing it as soon as it refills, thus giving the water no time to absorb heat from the surroundings?
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Rainswept on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Time is money, don't do it.

answer is no, you'd conceivably save money by never flushing... good luck with that.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Helium Hands on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:35 am

Rainswept wrote:NO NO NO We are not restarting the revolver discussion.

Luckily, I got sick before I could get too involved in it. Now I just don't care.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Previous

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes