Spreading the word on money

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Spreading the word on money

Postby Rev. Brian on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 am

We've probably all seen some sort of advertising or other message stamped on money before. Last year when a big Bowl game came to my area the Clemson fans stamped their money with the Clemson paw to raise awareness to the positive financial impact of their fans being in town.

So this sort of gave me the idea to have an FSM rubber stamp made up and do the same thing, but for a different reason. Rather than trying to communicate a market impact, it's to advertise the religion. Other religions urge their followers to "witness" (spread the word) - and this is my lazy way of witnessing. People will see the unusual visage of our God, hopefully be curious, and then go to the URL and find out what it's all about.

I didn't want to use www.venganza.org as the URL because it's somewhat hard for English speakers to remember how it's spelled, and it's not the kind of word that piques one's interest. The www.flyingspaghettimonster.com URL that redirects to venganza.org certainly might raise curiosity but it's too damn long to put at the bottom of a reasonably sized rubber stamp and still have the letters big enough to read. Ultimately I settled on ChurchFSM.ORG. It's short enough to be able to use a decent size font, and the inclusion of the word "church" will make most people go "huh?" -- especially when used in context with the image of our noodly Lord. I think perhaps I should have done the .ORG in lowercase as ChurchFSM.org and I'll probably do so if/when I order another stamp.

I experimented with red, blue, and black ink to see what shows up best on U.S. currency and found that the blue ink seems to work best. I also found that to ensure the URL is readable it's best to stamp it so the URL is in the blank white space at the bottom of the bill.

I'm going to start stamping all my money with it. If you want to get your own made, this one is the one I ordered and here is the file I used (or this one if you want the ".org" in lower case). [File must be black and white only, no color, no gray.] The stamp linked to above is the old fashioned kind where you use a stamp pad to ink the stamp and then stamp the item. Now that I've figured out what ink color I like, and am satisfied that the image comes out OK, I'll probably order a self-inking stamp (this one) to be more convenient. I'm sure there are plenty of other custom rubber stamp places that are just as easy to use. I've used this place before for other things so that's the only reason I used them for this -- I have no affiliation with them, etc.

Of course it could be used to stamp books, letters, pretty much anything. Also, it goes without saying that it shouldn't be used to deface other people's property, etc. - "defacing" money is just fine in my book though.
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Re: Spreading the word on money

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 pm

This is awesome. I think with a little ingenuity a set of stamps could be designed specific to each bill, to maximize the visibility of the image and the website address in the white space on the bill. I'll have to see if the budget committee (Mrs. T) will allow this under "all other".
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rev. Brian on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 pm

I spent a bunch of $20's that were so-marked this weekend at Bike Week in Daytona. Hopefully it helps a few lost souls find their calling. I like the idea of designs that would better fit the particular bill. The $20 has some good spots if the image were a bit smaller.
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Rev. Brian on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm eager to see what ET comes up with in the way of images designed for specific denominations of bills. In the meantime, I found after carrying some "stamped" 20's in my pocket all day at Bike Week, they got a little sweaty and the "FSM" part of the URL bled a little bit on some and you couldn't tell if it was "FSM" or "PSM", etc. The font is a little too bold for its own good, so I switched it out for Arial Regular to provide a little more space between the strokes of the letters.

The new image is here.

I also found (when stamping a bunch of money today) that the one dollar bill has no good place at all on the back of it. A smaller stamp might work on the front. I need to play with "layers" in my graphic editor a bit and then I could mess with bill-specific designs like ET proposed. Never really played much with layers.

How goes things with the budget committee ET? Got any designs brewing?
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Rev. Brian on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 am

I'm still continuing to work through all the venganza.org blog posts, from newest to oldest. I'm on page 127 (of 150) and found this post.

I figured someone surely had to have come up with this notion before. I rather like what they did with their stamp. I may have to make up one similar myself.
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 am

Harr ! PG be thee forum member wot done that stamp .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Return to The Cause