BACON!!!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: BACON!!!

Postby DavidH on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:54 am

Hooray, it's Bacon! :zen:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:24 am

—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby bacon on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 am

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
:welcome:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 am

—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Trampledbygeese on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 pm

I know, old thread, shouldn't resurrect a dead thread like this, but I wanted to tell someone that I've learned to make my own bacon this year and it's easy and makes all regular bacon seem like an empty imitation of what bacon should be.

I don't know what I would do if my religion banned bacon, it's such a vital part of my day.
Trampledbygeese
Ziti Zealot

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Yarrrgh; there be moss growin on yer bacon...
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Rev. Brian on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Rev. Frank (who is registered here now and will no doubt post some day) and I came up with something we call "Kevin's Law", which is relevant to this topic.

Kevin's law states:
Any food with bacon on it is automatically superior to the same food without bacon on it.

So far we've not encountered any known examples of a food that doesn't comply with Kevin's Law. Denny's even has Baconalia going on featuring ice cream sundaes with bacon in them (which is awesome) and other oddities, and the fair even had bacon dipped in chocolate which was awesome too.

Bacon pretty much rules.
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Rev. Brian wrote:Rev. Frank (who is registered here now and will no doubt post some day) and I came up with something we call "Kevin's Law", which is relevant to this topic.

Kevin's law states:
Any food with bacon on it is automatically superior to the same food without bacon on it.

So far we've not encountered any known examples of a food that doesn't comply with Kevin's Law. Denny's even has Baconalia going on featuring ice cream sundaes with bacon in them (which is awesome) and other oddities, and the fair even had bacon dipped in chocolate which was awesome too.

Bacon pretty much rules.

Hmm. Potential exceptions to Kevin's Law:
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Frosted Flakes cereal
coffee
whiskey
mudslide fudge

There may be other possibilities, but I can't think of them.

Now for the experimental phase. this may take a while.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rev. Brian on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Hmm. Potential exceptions to Kevin's Law:
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Frosted Flakes cereal
coffee
whiskey
mudslide fudge

Well, I think bacon would be awesome on pineapple upside down cake and mudslide fudge. Frosted flakes, that might require a test. Coffee is nasty anyway unless you put a bunch of flavors and sugar and cream and such in it, and at that point, bacon would probably be awesome too. I don't know about whiskey but I saw a bacon maple flavored beer in the store the other day so would be interested to see how well bacon goes with whiskey (imagine dipping strips in a shot glass of nice whiskey).

The only thing we could think of right off that bacon might not go with is Jello, but I haven't tried it for fear that I'd break the law.

I'm with you though - with any suspected exceptions to Kevin's Law, the fun will be in the validation experiments.
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Trampledbygeese on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:06 am

pieces o'nine wrote:Yarrrgh; there be moss growin on yer bacon...

lol moss. No, it's the smoke (as in from fire) interacting with the meat as opposed to liquid chemical smoke that is more common these days. Fire smoke be the way our Pirate forefathers use to do it.
Trampledbygeese
Ziti Zealot

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Rev. Brian wrote:I don't know about whiskey but I saw a bacon maple flavored beer in the store the other day so would be interested to see how well bacon goes with whiskey (imagine dipping strips in a shot glass of nice whiskey).

OK, then we can safely remove whiskey from the list. A friend of mine up the road is in the final stages of receiving a state license to produce and sell maple whiskey. If maple goes with bacon, and maple goes with whiskey (I've sampled the stuff - trust me, you want some) then bacon goes with whiskey. It's some kind of mathematical law or something.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rev. Brian on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Rev. Brian wrote:I don't know about whiskey but I saw a bacon maple flavored beer in the store the other day so would be interested to see how well bacon goes with whiskey (imagine dipping strips in a shot glass of nice whiskey).

OK, then we can safely remove whiskey from the list. A friend of mine up the road is in the final stages of receiving a state license to produce and sell maple whiskey. If maple goes with bacon, and maple goes with whiskey (I've sampled the stuff - trust me, you want some) then bacon goes with whiskey. It's some kind of mathematical law or something.

Um, yeah, I definitely want some maple whiskey - nom nom. And I think you're right -- somehow I think the commutative property would prove that if maple goes with a food and bacon goes with maple then bacon goes with that food. This would be some sort of corollary to Kevin's Law I think.

Dammit, now I want some maple whiskey, pancakes and bacon.
:lol:
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:03 pm

The version I sampled was around 160 proof, but the market version will only be 140. Some kind of legal issue. I expect it to hit the streets within the next few months - I'll keep you posted.
:drinking:
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Postby Rev. Brian on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:The version I sampled was around 160 proof, but the market version will only be 140. Some kind of legal issue. I expect it to hit the streets within the next few months - I'll keep you posted.
:drinking:

Sounds yummy - but stiff. I have had 195 proof (pretty much azeotrope) and that stuff will dry your mouth out so bad it feels like a burn (very hygroscopic obviously). 140 proof isn't too terribly far behind that. A maple whiskey just sounds awesome though...
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Rev. Brian wrote:Sounds yummy - but stiff. I have had 195 proof (pretty much azeotrope) and that stuff will dry your mouth out so bad it feels like a burn

Really? I quite like it. Amazing what you can do with a distillation setup :idiot:

It works well if you're going camping as you can condense two bottles of vodka down into one and, should you happen to give it to someone without telling them what it is, they get amusingly drunk very quickly :evilgrin:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

PreviousNext

Return to Food