BACON!!!

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: BACON!!!

Postby Rev. Brian on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:54 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
Rev. Brian wrote:Sounds yummy - but stiff. I have had 195 proof (pretty much azeotrope) and that stuff will dry your mouth out so bad it feels like a burn

Really? I quite like it. Amazing what you can do with a distillation setup :idiot:

It works well if you're going camping as you can condense two bottles of vodka down into one and, should you happen to give it to someone without telling them what it is, they get amusingly drunk very quickly :evilgrin:

Yeah - 160 proof is around double the usual proof for regular whiskey, so you can cut it 1:1 ratio with water and then end up with "normal" hooch. I looked into all the licensing and whatnot at one point -- researched all the state of the art reflux distilling column designs, etc. My plan was to build all my own gear. Ultimately I decided not to pursue it -- too much legal red tape. Despite having tons of different wines, liqueurs, liquors, etc. in the house, I hardly ever drink and was mostly interested in the technological aspects of the apparatus.

Hope your friend gets up and running, selling product, and does well with it. I love entrepreneurship. When it hits the market, please let me know - I'd like to see if I could have a local store order it. Then I can dip some bacon in it and test Kevin's Law. :-)

Thanks!
I can see the fnords.
Rev. Brian
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 am

John has three or four stills, as well as an astonishing amount of gear for building beers and wines. I've been making my wine with his equipment for about three years or so now. every time I go over there he has something new for tasting. I've had lemon wine, maple whiskey, corn likker, homemade gin, you name it. Some of it is awesome (maple whiskey for one), and some of it is hazardous waste (that corn likker was worse than drinking diesel fuel). The beer and wine is unsurpassed, especially at the price I pay to make it. It costs around $4.50 per bottle, and I doubt you could buy the equivalent for less than ten times that at a retail outlet. Everyone should make their own beverages. :drinking:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby bonsaiherb on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Baconolia might be found in EXUMA, Bahamas -- Is this hog heaven? [url]VIDEO LINK http://www.komonews.com/news/offbeat/Re ... =video&c=y[/url]

Gives a whole new meaning to 'LEAN" Or are they just being marinated?
You may have noticed that I bear a small resemblance to them, except for the ears.
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Previous

Return to Food