CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby black bart on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Don't get why I'm hating it.

It's got proper actors, it's got a story, it's got swordplay, swearing and drinking in it. Hell, it's even got tits in it! Why don't I like it? No idea.

I've only managed to see the first 3 episodes. I was impressed by the Design of the titles but didn't love the first episode...but by the end of the second episode I was hooked. I'm just too stingy to buy the series...I should though because TV is crap at the moment.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sun May 05, 2013 9:57 pm

I just viewed Dexter season 1 , first episode . Now watching 2nd ... Bye .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon May 06, 2013 4:27 am

I figured out why I am not enjoying Game of Thrones, by the way: it's on the television, and I don't like watching television. I keep forgetting that fact, turn on the TV, and it's all rubbish to me.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Mon May 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Watch on your computer?
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun May 12, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm stretching the spirit of this thread -- just watched C-SPAN2's coverage of the Opening of Parliament 2013.

Having been cruelly denied another shot at the papacy, I am inspired by this telecast to begin practicing clutching a parchment while repetitively intoning, "My government shall..."

Also, anyone who can generate a really fetching Cap of Maintenance for my avatar will be rewarded with ... mmm ... knighthood or something...

:grin:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 am

All right.
What the heck is up with Doctor Who?

Please, please, please: tell me his real name is not "Winston Smith." :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 am

pieces o'nine wrote:All right.

Well Matt Smith will transform into Keith Chegwin at the end of the series.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 am

black bart wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:All right.

Well Matt Smith will transform into Bruce Forsyth at the end of the series.

Nice to fix it, to fix it nice :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby black bart on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am

Bruce Forsyth...genius idea:

Cuddly toy, cuddly toy!

oh no it's a dalek.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby bacon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:14 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I figured out why I am not enjoying Game of Thrones, by the way: it's on the television, and I don't like watching television. I keep forgetting that fact, turn on the TV, and it's all rubbish to me.

I find it very difficult for me to maintain any attention to the television. As soon as a commercial comes on I begin to get restless and start to get involved in something else - usually a crocheting project lately. That's why I usually don't watch current TV and stick to movies, Netflix and OnDemand shows.

I started to watch Under the Dome now that they put their episodes up on On Demand (still has commercials, but they aren't as bad as regular television). I remember Twisted Sister (oh how I miss her) had read the book and highly recommended it. Is anyone else watching this series?
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 am

bacon wrote:I find it very difficult for me to maintain any attention to the television. As soon as a commercial comes on I begin to get restless and start to get involved in something else - usually a crocheting project lately.
You would be surprised how many people feel exactly the same way about watching TV, but they're not 'out' about it like me. They confess to me in confidential whispers how they can't watch TV shows any more because they all seem boring, as if that was something to be ashamed of.

Does anyone from the TV Networks read this forum? Is this information any good to them? Or is it deliberate? "We don't want any 'thinkers' watching TV! We want sheeple! We want drones! You are the greatest country in the world! You are free! Work more, or you'll lose your job! Buy stuff, or you'll look like a failure! Drink beer, it won't make you fat!"

Thinkers don't fall for that shit. TV isn't aimed at people with brains.

At least people who use their brains...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby bacon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 am

Roy Hunter wrote:You would be surprised how many people feel exactly the same way about watching TV, but they're not 'out' about it like me. They confess to me in confidential whispers how they can't watch TV shows any more because they all seem boring, as if that was something to be ashamed of.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one and I couldn't agree with you more. Most of time when we watch television we ask ourselves: "Do people honestly watch this show?"; "Who are they marketing to?". The reply is usually: "I don't know, what's the cat doing?."; "It's a freak show, people love freak shows."; or "Let's watch The Shining again."

Honestly the marketing is just out of control - if I'm not being told that I'm too fat, too bald, too impotent, or too sober then I'm being told that I'm paying too much for car insurance. Occasionally Pat Boone accosts my eyes as he walks around in a robe talking about the new walk-in tub he's selling.

Roy Hunter wrote:Does anyone from the TV Networks read this forum? Is this information any good to them? Or is it deliberate? "We don't want any 'thinkers' watching TV! We want sheeple! We want drones! You are the greatest country in the world! You are free! Work more, or you'll lose your job! Buy stuff, or you'll look like a failure! Drink beer, it won't make you fat!"

I forgot that you were in the UK when I read this and then did a head-slap. These are the same messages that we are barraged with in the US - even the light beer thing. Not that I'm surprised. It's just that sometimes I think that the UK is better when it comes to marketing and entertainment than here in the US. Not that I would really know having never been to the UK - just an unchecked assumption.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:28 pm

The Apprentice. The final was quite boring after the rest of the series. I've always maintained that every hour has half an hour of decent tv in it and that seems to still be true, once you get rid of the pointless 10 minute recap and the 20 minutes bitching about each other at the end the actual tasks are good fun to watch.

bacon wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:Drink beer, it won't make you fat!"

I forgot that you were in the UK when I read this and then did a head-slap. These are the same messages that we are barraged with in the US - even the light beer thing.

We don't really have 'light' beer here (which incidentally seems to be a way of marketing water with an alcohol content and no flavour) but our adverts all feature attractive, slim people downing buckets of the stuff. We prefer outright lies :haha:

Incidentally, the best commercial I heard for light beer was from GTA San Andreas :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby bacon on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 pm

daftbeaker wrote:We don't really have 'light' beer here (which incidentally seems to be a way of marketing water with an alcohol content and no flavour) but our adverts all feature attractive, slim people downing buckets of the stuff. We prefer outright lies :haha:

Incidentally, the best commercial I heard for light beer was from GTA San Andreas :idiot:

:lol:
Get your bake on. Image

bacon

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:33 am

Count Arthur Strong's TV show.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors