A Pastafarian Pope

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Zac Reaves on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 am

With all the news about the Catholic Church getting a new pope. I was thinking maybe there should be a Pastafarian Pope. Now don't judge right away, the pope would be a means to unite Pastafarians. It would be a means to corrupt our church, he would be a normal Pastafarian. He or She would be meant to lead Pastafarians in a prayer to the Holy FSM. He would interrupt the texts. Now how this pope is elected is not up to me. He would choose a pirate name as his name (ex. Pope Blackbeard) The pope could also organize met ups, he or she could even up raise money to help organizations like St.Jude or the Humane Society, etc.
Now Bobby Henderson is not the "Pope" he is the prophet. The difference between a Pope and Prophet is that a Prophet tells the word of the FSM. A pope would interrupt and spread it. So go and ponder this idea.
Science is like lasagna, you have to eat it in layers.
User avatar
Zac Reaves
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Dechujoh64 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 pm

I have something on this issue and read everything from within this issue.---> Hierarchy in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and come with your own opinion.

May the Pasta be With You
RAmen
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
User avatar
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 pm
Location: Toledo, Arrghio

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby mathsisfun on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:53 am

If we're copying the catholics church system, new bishops are chosen from the pool of priests.
They have a council of bishops, who decide when a new bishop is needed and which of the priests to elevate. A priest can't just apply or pay a fee, so if they wanted to be elevated they would have to do things like charity work to draw attention to themseelves. The council can decide who to elevate when another bishop is needed, but the pope can veto any decision.
This system would be hard to start up though. I'd suggest having 50 or so very active priests made bishops, and they can choose a pope. Then they can raise enough priests to be bishops to get a large enough pool of bishops to support a heirarchy above it. In the case of the catholic church, there is about 1 bishop for every 40 priests, but I think about 1 in 15 would work best. Next, the pope can choose an even more select group to be cardinals. The catholic church has 1 for every 10 bishops. This group of cardinals would elect the pope and elevate priests to bishops, and the elected pope would elevate bishops to cardinals.
mathsisfun
Conchigliette Convert
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:26 am

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Why should we copy the Roman Catholic Church? We have ordained ministers, and you can study for a Doctorate in Pastafarian Theology, but there the similarities end. The RC Pope is infallible: even our god is a drunken dumbass. The RC Church has enormous wealth and real estate holdings: we haven't even got a pirate ship. The RC church has rigid and inflexible doctrines: we have a bunch of guidance, you can take it, you can leave it, we don't really mind one way or the other.

Why should we emulate an organisation that is so different to us? I don't think we stand to gain anything by doing so.

A much-missed former poster on this board, who now drinks deeply at the beer volcano and admires the outputs of the stripper factory, used to carry a card proclaiming himself to be a Pope, and requiring to be afforded all the privileges entailed by his rank. Perhaps you could get one of those?

Image
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
User avatar
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
 
Posts: 15745
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Dechujoh64 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Why should we copy the Roman Catholic Church? We have ordained ministers, and you can study for a Doctorate in Pastafarian Theology, but there the similarities end. The RC Pope is infallible: even our god is a drunken dumbass. The RC Church has enormous wealth and real estate holdings: we haven't even got a pirate ship. The RC church has rigid and inflexible doctrines: we have a bunch of guidance, you can take it, you can leave it, we don't really mind one way or the other.

Why should we emulate an organisation that is so different to us? I don't think we stand to gain anything by doing so.

A much-missed former poster on this board, who now drinks deeply at the beer volcano and admires the outputs of the stripper factory, used to carry a card proclaiming himself to be a Pope, and requiring to be afforded all the privileges entailed by his rank. Perhaps you could get one of those?

Image



Well, Almighty Dalek Head Named Roy Hunter and Mathisfun, I have already seen that photo. In my own topic: Hierarchy in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Also, I think I might have pissed off Rev. Brian with my response OR not.)

In which the topic morphed from having a Pastafarian Pope to having an Admiral of the Navy. Thanks to a post from Rev. R. Redbeard.

Maybe if you want to; you can give your two cents about it.

Besides this topic was months old with only my response until you and mathisfun answered earlier today.

I hope this is an okay answer.
mathsisfun wrote:If we're copying the catholics church system, new bishops are chosen from the pool of priests.
They have a council of bishops, who decide when a new bishop is needed and which of the priests to elevate. A priest can't just apply or pay a fee, so if they wanted to be elevated they would have to do things like charity work to draw attention to themseelves. The council can decide who to elevate when another bishop is needed, but the pope can veto any decision.
This system would be hard to start up though. I'd suggest having 50 or so very active priests made bishops, and they can choose a pope. Then they can raise enough priests to be bishops to get a large enough pool of bishops to support a heirarchy above it. In the case of the catholic church, there is about 1 bishop for every 40 priests, but I think about 1 in 15 would work best. Next, the pope can choose an even more select group to be cardinals. The catholic church has 1 for every 10 bishops. This group of cardinals would elect the pope and elevate priests to bishops, and the elected pope would elevate bishops to cardinals.
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
User avatar
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 pm
Location: Toledo, Arrghio

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm

I think having a Pope might make people think we're just copying and therefore making fun of other religions, and hence aren't a real religion. That would be bad!

And if we need a person to represent us and be our public face and all-round spokesguy, we have our prophet Bobby Henderson (PBUH). I don't see the need for a single head of our church.

Besides, as most theological questions seem to be agreed by consensus (e.g. the loose cannon), this would seem to be the model for how the church operates - people swapping ideas and eventually a communal answer being formed.

CF
Image
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net


My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
User avatar
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: A dungeon on Viltvodle VI

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby ChowMein on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 pm

^ Yah . Thet seems loike wot goes on in here ... flimsy standarrds an' all ...arrrrrrr
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
User avatar
ChowMein
Humble Hermit
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:38 am
Location: Southern part of the Great White North

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Dechujoh64 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:I think having a Pope might make people think we're just copying and therefore making fun of other religions, and hence aren't a real religion. That would be bad!

And if we need a person to represent us and be our public face and all-round spokesguy, we have our prophet Bobby Henderson (PBUH). I don't see the need for a single head of our church.

Besides, as most theological questions seem to be agreed by consensus (e.g. the loose cannon), this would seem to be the model for how the church operates - people swapping ideas and eventually a communal answer being formed.

CF

Cardinal fang, you do not remember the strict not so strict talk we had on this issue: Hierarchy in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Go back and take a look and see the rest of that topic that has unfolded after your last post.
and may the pasta be with you, RAmen.
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
User avatar
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 pm
Location: Toledo, Arrghio

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Dechujoh64 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 pm

ChowMein wrote:^ Yah . Thet seems loike wot goes on in here ... flimsy standarrds an' all ...arrrrrrr

Hey Chow, Visit this issue--->Hierarchy in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
and may the pasta be with you, RAmen.
Pope Dechujoh is the name.
Oh, here is a list of things that I have writin:
Click the link->The Book of Dechujoh.:
Letter to the Risians. (14 Chapters.) has been writin
Letter to the Udonites. (2 Chpts.) has been writin
Letters between D and M the Udonite. (6 Chpts)has been writin
Letters to the Fiorites is next. Started on.
Revelations 3: The Scroll of the 7 Sealed Pastas(17 Chpts)has been writin
Image<---T.A.R.D.I.S
User avatar
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 pm
Location: Toledo, Arrghio

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:01 pm

I do remember the aforementioned discussion and seem to remember there wasn't much enthusiasm for a set heirarchy either.

However I do remember you saying "that may be people out there who are Pastafarians (including me) who might want a higher title without really doing much of anything".

So do so - call yourself Pope <insert name> - just as I've adopted the name Cardinal Fang, with no expectation or wish for anything beyond that's my name (and because CF is my favourite Monty Python character).

I just don't think that by calling yourself "Pope", or "Cardinal" or "Captain" or any other title should automatically give you any further rights or responsibilities that other Pastafarians don't have - as I said in t'other post - all Pastafarians should be equal, irrespective of when they came to faith, whether they have ever visited Venganza.org etc.

CF
Image
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net


My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
User avatar
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: A dungeon on Viltvodle VI

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Well spoken, Cardinal Fang.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
User avatar
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!
 
Posts: 8615
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Ocean o'Sand

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Temp0ral on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:13 pm

A nice and simple hierarchy:

FSM
|
Prophet (Bobby Henderson - or perhaps just drop this down)
|
Pirate = Wench = Captain = Pope = Cardinal = Bishop = Knight = Rook = Minister = Priest = Pasta = Parrots = etc.

This way, there is structure for those who are looking for some, and those that don't care can continue not caring.
Temp0ral
Cannelloni Cannoneer
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:00 am

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:51 am

Ye left orf midgits, but otherwyse yer charrrght looks fyne, Temp0ral!
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
User avatar
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!
 
Posts: 8615
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Ocean o'Sand

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:51 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:Ye left orf midgits, but otherwyse yer charrrght looks fyne, Temp0ral!


Here's a philosophical/ theological question then.

We all know that His Noodliness the Flying Spaghetti Monster created midgets as the first people, and they therefore were extra special.

Are midgets and other foreshortened people still similarly blessed in today's world, or are they held us equal as we all are, under our Pasta-based Lord?

Other than that - Temp0ral - that's a great heirarchy, that seems to be spot on about how the CoFSM seems to work.

CF
Image
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net


My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
User avatar
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: A dungeon on Viltvodle VI

Re: A Pastafarian Pope

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:36 pm

They're still blessed of course, otherwise they wouldn't be so short.

That means the FSM loves them. That doesn't mean WE necessarily have to treat them extra-special. Most of them would probably be offended anyway, if my viewing of various little-people-based reality shows is any indication. THEY want to be treated as equals, so that's what we should do.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
-------------------------------
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
-------------------------------
Image
User avatar
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 am
Location: Massachusetts

Next

Return to The Cause

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests