Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 am

Homer Bailey of the Cincinnati Reds throws first no-hitter of 2013. Funny enough, he threw the last no-hitter of 2012.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Murray and Djokovic to face off in Wimbledon final. Rematch of the 2012 U.S. Open and the 2013 Australian Open. Djokovic's 11-7 lifetime against Murray, but Murray won their only match on grass.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 pm

PKMKII wrote:Murray and Djokovic to face off in Wimbledon final. Rematch of the 2012 U.S. Open and the 2013 Australian Open. Djokovic's 11-7 lifetime against Murray, but Murray won their only match on grass.
Murray loves grass. I don't mean smoking it, I mean playing on it. He also had an easier semi than Djokovic, and will be less tired.

But Djokovic is a T-5001, the most advanced Terminator ever built by Skynet...

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:40 pm

So how long until they make him Sir Andy Murray?

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 am

Good news for potheads who always talked about how awesome it would be to like, start a bobsled team, man.

WADA recently amended its rules on cannabis, raising the threshold for a positive test from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 150 ng/ml. In 1998 at the Nagano Games, Rebagliati recorded a level of 17.8 ng/ml, and argued the test resulted from second-hand smoke, which he still says. Ben Nichols, a spokesperson for WADA, said the raising of the threshold is meant to catch only athletes who smoke during the period of a competition. The drug isn't prohibited out of competition.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 am

Here's one you don't see very often: an honest-to-goodness stolen home base by Johnathan Villar of the Houston Astros.

PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:23 am

So does that count as a pitch? He steps off the rubber to throw to the catcher in an attempt to get the runner - couldn't he have thrown to third? How do the mysterious balk rules apply? I never could figure out how this stuff works in this situation.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 am

Did you know that the first ever game of "Bass Ball" took place at Walton on Thames, England in 17 something or other? There was royalty involved I believe.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:So does that count as a pitch? He steps off the rubber to throw to the catcher in an attempt to get the runner - couldn't he have thrown to third? How do the mysterious balk rules apply? I never could figure out how this stuff works in this situation.

Per rules 8.01b and 8.01e of the Official MLB Rulebook:

(b) The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands
facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of,
the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to
a complete stop. From such Set Position he may deliver the ball to the batter, throw
to a base or step backward off the pitcher’s plate with his pivot foot.

(e) If the pitcher removes his pivot foot from contact with the pitcher’s plate by step-
ping backward with that foot, he thereby becomes an infielder and if he makes a
wild throw from that position, it shall be considered the same as a wild throw by
any other infielder.
Rule 8.01(e) Comment: The pitcher, while off the rubber, may throw to any base. If he
makes a wild throw, such throw is the throw of an infielder and what follows is governed by the rules
covering a ball thrown by a fielder.

You can clearly see that Chen moves his back foot off the pitcher's plate before throwing to the catcher. Therefore, it's both not a pitch and not a balk, it's a throw by an infielder.

black bart wrote:Did you know that the first ever game of "Bass Ball"

Bass ball... sounds, funky.

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 am

The Ashes...

...just thought I'd mention that I have been enjoying the series (on the radio because ******* Sky have the TV rights).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:48 pm

England 3 - Scotland 2.

I was fairly pleased because Scotland didn't get thumped like the under-21s did last night (6-0).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:17 am

Roy Hunter wrote:England 3 - Scotland 2.

I was fairly pleased because Scotland didn't get thumped like the under-21s did last night (6-0).

It was a good game...and I presume the Tartan Army went home reasonably happy as they didn't completely demolish Wembley like they did a few years ago.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:50 am

I always find it strange that the English object to us stealing their goalposts when we win, but when the Ozzies burn their cricket stumps when they win...
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:53 am

Mets ace pitcher Matt Harvey has a ligament tear in his elbow. Out for the rest of the season, may require Tommy John surgery and may be out for most of the 2014 season.

Excuse me while I

PKMKII

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:02 am

You see, depth of squad is all important.

It's no good having one brilliant player like Tottenham Hotspur (Gareth Bale)...and then selling him.

They still managed to beat Swansea 1-0 though. :cry:
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion