The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 am

I am still playing Borderlands 2...I need help. :cry:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm

My retro iPhone gaming continues with FF Tactics, War of the Lions. Loving it.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby black bart on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 am

I am playing 'The Last of Us'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:52 am

GTA5...it was a must.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:11 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sim ... f-elanthia

Help this company raise $200,000 in five days so my friend Stephen Hmiel doesn't end up out of a job. :whip:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roland Deschain on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 am

I've been playing GTA V, but moved back to PC games for some time. Most recently I got into Farming Giant, which has major stability issues (I wrote a guide on Steam for overcoming its problems), Europa Universalis IV, which is like the Total War series, but far more in-depth both politically and trade-wise, and without having to fight the battles first-hand, and most recently Cities In Motion 2, a game where you build a city's transport network.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:53 pm

My girlfriend is playing the Sims Medeival, which seems a lot like what I've seen of Europea Universalis (or another one made by the same people, focuses on europe but you get dynsasties and shit), except of course that it's primarily a sims game. But it's fun. The user basically plays the role of "The Watcher" or God, because stupid sim people are too stupid to take care of themselves, hence the need for Kings/Queens that you direct. There seem to be two options for when you establish religion, either a "Peteran" church of nice monks, or a "Jacoban" church which is basically stereotypically evil medieval Catholicism.

Makes me want to play something vaguely similar, but I'm sure I don't have the time, nor much patience for learning a game like Europa. I could always boot up Age of Mythology again, but I've played the crap out of that game already. Mostly I'm just playing the video game version of Magic: The Gathering, so that's not depressing at all. :P
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Rainswept on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:39 am

Finally got around to SkyRim, loving it
Rainswept

Postby gronank on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 am

I play Kerbal Space Program, a game where you fly around little green men in space. My latest and greatest achievement is putting a kerbal on Duna which is the equivalent of Mars.

Some images:
The mother ship before launch
Last refuelling of the mother ship before departure from Kerbin
The lander on Duna
Jabediah Kerman taking a walk on the biggest red beach he ever seen
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:28 am

Goat Simulator.

That is all
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rainswept on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Finished Skyrim, then the devil killed my PC. Diablo 3 caused so many crashes I can't even boot in safe mode. Currently picking out parts for a whole new gaming tower.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby gronank on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:58 pm

I've probably sunk hundred hours into that game but I never finished the main quest line. I always grow a bit attached to my characters and when I finish the game, it just feels pointless to continue which I think is sad. It is the same for Fallout too.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Rainswept on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:17 pm

I took 2 characters past level 70. It's insanely fun but if you plan well it gets too easy. Especially if you combine stealth and archery.
Rainswept

Postby gronank on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 pm

As it happens, the character I have combines stealth and archery... But then again, I don't find the combat of that game particularly fulfilling.

I prefer the exploration and interacting with the world. The stealth/archery thing helps bypass some of the combat element but it also have a tendency of killing intractable NPCs which is a bit annoying.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Fun little game in beta: Mini Metro. You run a subway/metro system, making sure each new stop that pops up gets at least one line, and try to keep stops from staying overcrowded lest you lose.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors