Black Bart

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Black Bart

Postby The Black Spot on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:18 am

Bart passed away just before midnight last night. He was already frail from his condition, but went rapidly downhill after a minor operation over the weekend.

I was lucky enough to have known him for over 30 years, and I've never met anyone who had a bad word to say about him. A truely decent man.

Look back on his posts and celebrate his wit and good humour, and be glad to have known such a person.

Goodbye old friend.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Re: Black Bart

Postby DavidH on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:39 am

Goodbye Bart! The only member of any forum who has actually been a guest at my house, I counted you as a real friend.

I am thinking of your lovely family, too.

Spot, if you're in contact I'd be grateful if you'd pass on my condolences.

When Pieces and I won Bart's pirate quiz, she wanted an Errol Flynn picture for her prize, but I wanted Milo. This is what he drew:

Here's the two of us at my place posting on here:

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DaveL on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:26 am

Farewell Bart,

I will miss you terribly. Your sense of humour and wonderful pesona brought everyone on these boards (and in the Monastery) closer together. I will miss your wonderful artwork, vivid piratey imagery and your wonderful sense of humour.
Above all, thank you for your friendship, you have brought joy and happiness to so many.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 am

Goodbye Bart. Always a steady hand on the tiller, and never a harsh word for the crew. Whatever shall we do for Fish 'Ed Stoo now?
:cry:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby OZ_Nick on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Oi be 'oistin a fewe in ye 'onour me ole shipmate. Iffen Oi kin stop the teers from dripin in me cup an dilutin the rumme...
----

Ye may knowe mee better as Cap'n Bluenose
OZ_Nick
Stele Second Mate

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Got a bottle of Kraken rum, and we'll be firing up Pirates of the Caribbean tonight, in his honor. I'll probably throw in a shot for Pieces as well, since I haven't done anything to celebrate her memory yet, even though cone-yak might be more appropriate. :drinking: But, y'know, flimsy moral standards, and all that.

Thinking of you, Bart. And sending love to your family. It can seem a bit selfish, mourning someone you've only met once, known mostly through the internet... and certainly it's not comparable to losing a family member, but it's still something. You forumites are all my family, or at least one of my families. :fsm_float: Don't ever forget it. :whip:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ravi Oli on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:32 pm

April 1... the bugger's playing us and will come back saying it was all a big joke.
Wishing it was. It's hard to truly know someone from words on a page. We give up ourselves only bit by bit as we get comfortable with our Netmates, or maybe even present a far different persona. With Bart I'm sure it was 'boots and all', 'the real deal' right from the start and he made me laugh, often at his own expense. He and pieces are two people I would have loved to have at least met personally. We live on in the memories of those we touch no matter how briefly. I will remember them both.
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby DavidH on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm taking the liberty of re-posting this message from Black Spot on Facebook:

Tony's funeral will take place at 10:00 on Thursday 17 April 2014 at the South West Middlesex Crematorium (also known locally as Hanworth Crematorium), Hounslow Road, Hanworth (TW13 5JH).

Flowers from family only, please. Donations payable to the Princess Alice Hospice should be sent to T. H. Sanders & Higgs, 153 Heath Road, Twickenham, Middlesex (TW1 4BH).

There will be a reception afterwards at the Fountain, 1 Sixth Cross Road, Twickenham (TW2 5PE).

If you will be coming to the reception, please would you email Yvonne at vonandpat@btinternet.com. Please don't get in contact with me as I will be away from Friday until the funeral.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Uther on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:18 am

I only found about about the death of Bart AND Pieces yesterday. For me it is as if both just died suddenly YESTERDAY.... prior to that they were both alive in my mind. It is a HUGE shock... more so than I might have imagined. I have not been posting at FSM for a couple of years, yet I do remember the place and the people fondly. I was only here messing about in the games threads, but you do get to "know" people a little. I had a bit of a "crush" on Pieces.. I guess her intellect, and her sense of humour struck a chord with me. And Bart always struck me as a guy I'd love to meet up with for a beer or several. I was in London and did visit the odd pub last September/October I wonder how close I got to Bart at that time? :drinking: :drunk:
I did visit Wales... even walked briefly in Newport.. bus station to train station. :shocked:

Welsh sheep ARE far more attractive than NZ sheep!
:mob:

I digress.. but I imagine Bart and Pieces would approve.

My condolences to family and friends who were close to Bart and Pieces and to all of you here who knew them too.
Image"LIFE! ...loath it, or ignore it..
__________You can't possibly LIKE it?"
Uther
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:19 pm

I gather from Failbook that there is a Cancer Research UK fund for Bart / Antony. One of his friends is doing a sponsored bike ride tomorrow. I shall endeavour to get details, if anyone feels the need to contribute.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I gather from Failbook that there is a Cancer Research UK fund for Bart / Antony. One of his friends is doing a sponsored bike ride tomorrow. I shall endeavour to get details, if anyone feels the need to contribute.

Tony's sister-in-law Verna contacted me and gave me the details for making a donation. Here you go:
https://www.justgiving.com/Graham-Miller10/
Roy Hunter

Return to Pirate Discussion